iOS Development advice

Bear with me while navigating through the somewhat unnecessary details that follow but I wanted to get as accurate advice as possible on the topic: MacBook Pro for iOS development.

I have been wanting to get into apple's development ecosystem for a while now and thoroughly researched my options, I concluded that getting a MacBook Pro 13.3" with 8gigs of ram and 512gigs of ssd.

Following are the issues that I'd be very appreciative for clarification on:
1-During my research, watching youtube reviews, I came across cases of thermal throttling in brand new models both MacBook Pro and the new mac mini. The problem turned out to be dried out thermal paste. Now although reapplying the thermal paste DID solve the issue. However, these are quite expensive tools compared to any windows' machine that I have and I don't want prying it open to be the very first thing, because of the fear of messing it up, and also given especially how hard apple tries to limit a customer's control on their device. So do the refurbished models have thermal paste reapplied as well and has anyone come across a case of thermal throttling on a refurbed MacBook Pro.

2- Is a 13-inch screen enough when working with multiple iphone simulations?

3-Is an 8gb ram enough for iOS dev as well as 512gb ssd to last me with for next 5 years?

4-I am currently in sophomore year and am proficient in C++ and OOP related stuff. That being said, about $1700 is quite a bit of investment and I want to recover it asap. Hence, I'd like to know what is a good estimate of the time of how quickly can one gain a working knowledge of swift and iOS dev because working with a VM Ware installed Mac environment is too difficult for my current laptop to support and isn't as smooth of an experience.

6-Please recommend any good sources to learn iOS dev if you are aware of any.

7- Does portability matter enough over raw performance gain to not get a better spec-ed mac mini over a lower spec-ed MacBook pro?

8-What sleeves or hard cases would you recommend?

I apologize if I come across as stupid or ignorant in any of my questions, but please bear in mind that I am an amateur right now, but eager to learn.

I am not an expert on MacBooks but I still can provide some general input.

1. It is not common for refubishers to reapply thermal paste, so I doubt this will be the case

2. 13inch is fine for like 2 windows open at the same time at the most. If you need more and want to be able to read something you will have to go for a bigger screen

3. I highly doubt 8GB of RAM will last you 5 years.

6 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

I am not an expert on MacBooks but I still can provide some general input.

1. It is not common for refubishers to reapply thermal paste, so I doubt this will be the case

2. 13inch is fine for like 2 windows open at the same time at the most. If you need more and want to be able to read something you will have to go for a bigger screen

3. I highly doubt 8GB of RAM will last you 5 years.

Why do you think that 8gb would hardly last me 5 years? Even if it's for purely development purposes?

1. I can't imagine that reapplying the thermal paste would have any effect on performance when it comes it iOS development. It's just not a very CPU intensive task (unless you work on a huge project). 

2. I guess that's down to personal preference. I'm very used to the 13" form factor. 

3. This point stood out to me, me personally would definitely sacrifice storage for ram. Again, for me personally, I use streaming services for all media consumption and iCloud for cloud storage of backups and pictures and other files that I want to keep but not necessarily have to store locally.  Why do you need 512gb storage? For iOS development that seems a bit much, the source for Firefox for iOS is 120mb... But maybe you have a different use case that's not mentioned in the OP. But 16gb of ram would probably be a good idea regardless.

4-6. There are lots of resources online. 

Free book on swift: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book-series/swift-programming-series/id888896989?mt=11

Slightly outdated 'getting started guide': https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/DevelopiOSAppsSwift/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015214-CH2-SW1

7. Only you can answer this but for iOS development, or most CS-stuff for that matter, you don't really need a beast of a machine. 

8. Sorry can't answer this one as I haven't used one in a long time. 

8 hours ago, Umberto said:

1. I can't imagine that reapplying the thermal paste would have any effect on performance when it comes it iOS development. It's just not a very CPU intensive task (unless you work on a huge project). 

2. I guess that's down to personal preference. I'm very used to the 13" form factor. 

3. This point stood out to me, me personally would definitely sacrifice storage for ram. Again, for me personally, I use streaming services for all media consumption and iCloud for cloud storage of backups and pictures and other files that I want to keep but not necessarily have to store locally.  Why do you need 512gb storage? For iOS development that seems a bit much, the source for Firefox for iOS is 120mb... But maybe you have a different use case that's not mentioned in the OP. But 16gb of ram would probably be a good idea regardless.

4-6. There are lots of resources online. 

Free book on swift: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book-series/swift-programming-series/id888896989?mt=11

Slightly outdated 'getting started guide': https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/DevelopiOSAppsSwift/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015214-CH2-SW1

7. Only you can answer this but for iOS development, or most CS-stuff for that matter, you don't really need a beast of a machine. 

8. Sorry can't answer this one as I haven't used one in a long time. 

I was originally thinking of going for a 256gig model. I am going to use it purely of iOS development work, storing m projects etc., and I also read that Xcode has increased in size to about 10gb now, which is why I was considering 512gigs of storage. I might come across some big projects down the lane which is why I chose that. But I would definitely take your advice into consideration. Thanks alot :)

The thermal issues on the new macbook pro are not at all related to dried out thermal paste, but rather a quite inadequate cooling solution. Liquid metal will improve, but not solve the thermal issues. Of course it voids any warrantee and causes it's own problems.

As for whether or not a refurbished laptop will have thermal paste reapplied depends on the unit. Even if it is replaced or will be replaced with bulk compound.