Case Fans overview and control

Mike87
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
Just now, Mike87 said:

ok great, one last question: If I use a splitter on. i.e. sys fan1, will I still be able to control the RPM? Or does it only work for single fans?

It'll show up and act as one fan from the motherboard fan settings. Splitters only have the rpm pin on one of the fan headers. The rpm is read from that master fan. Any fan signal from the motherboard fan header will be sent to all fans connected to the splitter on that header. 

Hi all,

probably an easy question but I am optimizing my fans in my case to get the most out of my build.

So here is the thing, I have overall 5 Fans: Back, Case side, top, front and CPU (and GPU, but that's not important here)

I am able to control only 3 fans with the msi command center, CPU, Top and Back fan. The other 2 seem to be automatically running at 50%, at least that is what the Open Hardware Monitor says... 

My question now is, how can I control the other 2 Fans in "smart Mode"? is it only possible if the fan is plugged into a 4-Pin socket? Seems to be it because I can only control those fans that are plugged in a 4 PIN socket, even though that fan only has 3 PINs. 

So what can I do? I only have 3 4-PIN  and 3 3-PIN sockets. 

What advantage do I have if I buy a 4-PIN Fan? 

Thank you!

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

Oh and another questions:

- I saw that there are fan cable splitters (PWM) 4-Pin to 3x 4-Pin. When should I use those??

- My front fan was connected to the 4 Pin Molex cable (the one that goes to my SSDs, whats happens to the fan? Does it just run at 50% the whole time?

Thanks again!

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

What case, motherboard, and fans are you using?

Which fans are plugged into which header?

Splitters are good if you don't have enough fan headers. 

A 4pin molex fan adapter should provide 12v and result in 100% fan speed for a 12v fan. If there's an inline controller on it, that may be used to lower the fan speed. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My MB: MSI H87-G41
Case: Cooler Master 690 NVIDIA Edition

Fans: I have 4x 120mm fans, not sure which brand though

The CPU, Top and back fan are all 3-pin but plugged into a 4-pin header. the other 2 are also 3-pin but in a 3-pin header.

My Setup: 

How can I see at which speed my front fan is running? I dont see it in the msi control, only the open hardware monitor is showing me 2 fans that are running hat 49,8% speed. One must be the front fan and the other one... I don't know ?

My Setup: 

1 hour ago, Mike87 said:

How can I see at which speed my front fan is running? I dont see it in the msi control, only the open hardware monitor is showing me 2 fans that are running hat 49,8% speed. One must be the front fan and the other one... I don't know ?

1 hour ago, Mike87 said:

The CPU, Top and back fan are all 3-pin but plugged into a 4-pin header. the other 2 are also 3-pin but in a 3-pin header.

Your mobo has 2xPWM headers, 1x3pin header and 2x2pin headers. Its gets bit confusing here. PWM headers are CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2. These are PWM controlled, and I don't see any reference on manual about selecting control method. You are saying you have 3 fans connected to these headers? That must mean you are using splitter, so are case fans on splitter? SYS_FAN1 is 3pin. Which fan/s are connected to this? Using splitter? SYS_FAN2/3 are 2pin. Meaning that you can't monitor their rpm, that pin isn't connected (according to manual). If you have fan connected there and you are seeing its rpm, then there's something odd going on. Or you have wrong mobo model number.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I've made an overview picture, hope this helps :)

I don't use any splitter for the fans. 

Like mentioned, I don't have Fans with 4-Pin plug (maybe the top fan, but not sure).

The Front Fan was plugged to the power cable, but I plugged it to the header (see overview) hoping I could control it then.

Edit: 

The Headers on the right are CPU 1 and 2

The one on the top is System1

And I think the other 2 headers are system2 and 3

five_pictures2_2844_20140407152412.png

My Setup: 

4 hours ago, Mike87 said:

The fan speed reported is probably not from the sys_fan 2 / 3 headers but instead something else. You can check by stopping fans with your hands until the reported fan speed changes. Looking at similar results online, it seems like the these headers don't report rpm and might not support any form of control either. I think they're just powered headers that run fans at 100% rpm. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The fan speed reported is probably not from the sys_fan 2 / 3 headers but instead something else. You can check by stopping fans with your hands until the reported fan speed changes. Looking at similar results online, it seems like the these headers don't report rpm and might not support any form of control either. I think they're just powered headers that run fans at 100% rpm. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ok thank you so far for your help.

So what exactly do I need to watch out for if I want a Fan that I can control via the msi Tool or any other 3rd party tool?

I thought 4-Pins are need for the control but that is just for PWM, which I found out is just for smoother fan speed control.

So basically I only need a 3-pin fan and the header which supports "RPM controlling"? ? Strange that my front fan is not showing up in the msi control center... maybe I have to check the bios?

My Setup: 

9 hours ago, Mike87 said:

So basically I only need a 3-pin fan and the header which supports "RPM controlling"? ? Strange that my front fan is not showing up

Yes, that's correct.

If you want fan control, stick with the cpu_fan1 / 2 and sys_fan1 headers. Use splitters to group fans to the relevant headers. Check to make sure that the fans don't require too much power -- up to 1A per header. 

As mentioned, the third pin for rpm on the sys_fan 2 / 3 headers are nc (not connected) / dummies so it makes sense that you can't see the rpm for fans plugged into it. 

36 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, that's correct.

If you want fan control, stick with the cpu_fan1 / 2 and sys_fan1 headers. Use splitters to group fans to the relevant headers. Check to make sure that the fans don't require too much power -- up to 1A per header. 

As mentioned, the third pin for rpm on the sys_fan 2 / 3 headers are nc (not connected) / dummies so it makes sense that you can't see the rpm for fans plugged into it. 

ok great, one last question: If I use a splitter on. i.e. sys fan1, will I still be able to control the RPM? Or does it only work for single fans?

My Setup: 

Just now, Mike87 said:

It'll show up and act as one fan from the motherboard fan settings. Splitters only have the rpm pin on one of the fan headers. The rpm is read from that master fan. Any fan signal from the motherboard fan header will be sent to all fans connected to the splitter on that header. 

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

thanks a lot for the clearup! :)

My Setup: