Can anyone recommend the Lenovo T480s WQHD first hand?

Hey guys,

I would like to get a new notebook with a decent display and fair specs to being able to use it for at least 2-3 years without getting frustrated.

So I stumbled across the Lenovo T480s with WQHD, 16GB Ram, i7 8550u.

But there is no review on that as far as I know on YouTube. All the reviews are about the Full HD version and not the WQHD version.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good laptop? Maybe one of you has it?

I would like to know if the screen is good or not.

If anyone knows another notebook in the price range of 1.500€ please recommend it!!

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

notebookcheck reviewed the wqhd version  

Can you send me a link to this please?

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=t480s

They are even better SEO then this forum so not to difficult to find them.

Couldn't find it before with duck duck go. Thanks

hey there,

i bought one like 3 months ago. its with the 8250u though :)

the 1440p screen is amazing imo. its bright, doesnt glare, sharpness and colour are good as well.

however, Im no pro to jugde this. I chose this laptop based on many reviews. If i compare it to my ipad pro 10.5 or my desktop 27 incher 1440p from asus its just another very good screen for me :)

also, I can not put enough emphasis on how good the keyboard is.

if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask :)

greetings, chris!

9 hours ago, Hip said:

there is no review

there is: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T480s-i5-WQHD-Laptop-Review.284832.0.html

TL;DR: good model

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

19 hours ago, Chris Breezy said:

hey there,

i bought one like 3 months ago. its with the 8250u though :)

the 1440p screen is amazing imo. its bright, doesnt glare, sharpness and colour are good as well.

however, Im no pro to jugde this. I chose this laptop based on many reviews. If i compare it to my ipad pro 10.5 or my desktop 27 incher 1440p from asus its just another very good screen for me :)

also, I can not put enough emphasis on how good the keyboard is.

if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask :)

greetings, chris!

Can you tell me how good the colours of this screen are? Is it also good for watching movies?

7 hours ago, Hip said:

Can you tell me how good the colours of this screen are? Is it also good for watching movies?

hey,

I can definitely recommend it for all kinds of tasks, including movie watching. colours dont look washed out or anything like that - if thats what youre worried about. brightness is great too, one of the reasons I personally went for this panel. I use my laptop for everything. Even though I use many devices, they're not each for specific purposes only, so I use all of em for everything. the t480s easily holds up.

I cant say anything about how accurate the screen is, when it comes to video/picture editing purposes, although I cant remember reading anything alarming concerning this, when I checked reviews before buying.

Value is good, quality overall is great, including the screen. It easily holds up with my iPad pro as well as with a 350 nit 27 inch screen from asus, thats got quite good reviews - just like the t480s itself.

the only thing that is not outstanding are the speakers. especially compared to the iPad pro. the latter packs quite the punch considering how thin it is.

7 hours ago, Chris Breezy said:

hey,

I can definitely recommend it for all kinds of tasks, including movie watching. colours dont look washed out or anything like that - if thats what youre worried about. brightness is great too, one of the reasons I personally went for this panel. I use my laptop for everything. Even though I use many devices, they're not each for specific purposes only, so I use all of em for everything. the t480s easily holds up.

I cant say anything about how accurate the screen is, when it comes to video/picture editing purposes, although I cant remember reading anything alarming concerning this, when I checked reviews before buying.

Value is good, quality overall is great, including the screen. It easily holds up with my iPad pro as well as with a 350 nit 27 inch screen from asus, thats got quite good reviews - just like the t480s itself.

the only thing that is not outstanding are the speakers. especially compared to the iPad pro. the latter packs quite the punch considering how thin it is.

How good is the battery lifetime when using it for work and maybe music in the background? Do you know how much hours that would last?

Thanks a a lot!!

1 hour ago, Hip said:

How good is the battery lifetime when using it for work and maybe music in the background? Do you know how much hours that would last?

Thanks a a lot!!

hey there :)

battery life is great. youll get through a workday easily. That is my personal experience, but reviews stated good battery life as well.

of course - it all depends on the workflow though.

you know, at first I thought about choosing the "regular" T480, as that would have allowed me to use a bigger battery as well as hotswap them. the reality though is this: almost no one needs that much battery life. It would have been a great idea on paper, but in reality I dont see myself carrying a 2nd battery or something. And so I chose the T480s. As for a thin and light laptop I think this is as good as it gets to be honest. I guess further improvements in the near future will come from more efficient processors and such.

I got through the day with my rMBP late 2013 and I get through it easily with the T480s. Considering the rapid charge function, I feel really free from the power cord now. Its really a game changer - despite the fact that the retina macbook 2013 (IMO) wasnt and still isnt a "slow charger".

To help you out with a number rather than just opinions, I will charge it up all the way now and use it for work today until its dead. Conditions and workflow:

- brightness @ 60%

- (idk how to properly explain this in english) battery to performance will be set to "more performance" (lenovo offers these options when you click the battery symbol)

- keyboard illumination off

- background: VPN, logitech software, spotify streaming music (muted)

- connected to a 2.4ghz network

- bluetooth off

light use of:

- Outlook

- Wunderlist

- word

- excel

- anki

- firefox (about 10 tabs, work related, maybe some news)

Ill post here as soon as I have a number :)

Hey, before you buy the laptop form Lenovo, you need to check out their outlet store. I got a brand new X1 Carbon (note: NOT refurbished and NOT scratch & dent) for $600-$800 cheaper than on Lenovo's regular site. 

I actually just happened to write a review of my shopping experience a few minutes ago before seeing your thread. Check it out here (link to their outlet included in post):

For example (regarding my last comment), here is a brand new t480s with even better specs than you were looking at for $1,160, which is anywhere from $400-$600 less than the laptop you would have spec'd on their regular site.

This has the 8650u, 24gb ram, and the WQHD.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T480s/p/20L7CTO1WW-PC0Y68HN

You still get the Lenovo warranty, you still get a brand new machine, you still get everything you want. You just pay less because someone else's order got canceled. 

8 hours ago, Hip said:

Thanks a a lot!!

6 hours ago, Chris Breezy said:

hey there :)

battery life is great. youll get through a workday easily. That is my personal experience, but reviews stated good battery life as well.

of course - it all depends on the workflow though.

you know, at first I thought about choosing the "regular" T480, as that would have allowed me to use a bigger battery as well as hotswap them. the reality though is this: almost no one needs that much battery life. It would have been a great idea on paper, but in reality I dont see myself carrying a 2nd battery or something. And so I chose the T480s. As for a thin and light laptop I think this is as good as it gets to be honest. I guess further improvements in the near future will come from more efficient processors and such.

I got through the day with my rMBP late 2013 and I get through it easily with the T480s. Considering the rapid charge function, I feel really free from the power cord now. Its really a game changer - despite the fact that the retina macbook 2013 (IMO) wasnt and still isnt a "slow charger".

To help you out with a number rather than just opinions, I will charge it up all the way now and use it for work today until its dead. Conditions and workflow:

- brightness @ 60%

- (idk how to properly explain this in english) battery to performance will be set to "more performance" (lenovo offers these options when you click the battery symbol)

- keyboard illumination off

- background: VPN, logitech software, spotify streaming music (muted)

- connected to a 2.4ghz network

- bluetooth off

light use of:

- Outlook

- Wunderlist

- word

- excel

- anki

- firefox (about 10 tabs, work related, maybe some news)

Ill post here as soon as I have a number :)

so after about 6 hrs of light use Ive got 45% of my battery remaining. that included about 40 min of video consumption as well.

so Id personally say:

- many background tasks but light use -> 12 hrs (same for heavier use, but no background stuff)

- really heavy use -> 7-9 hrs depending on what it is that you do.

greetings :)

23 hours ago, RobertSaget said:

For example (regarding my last comment), here is a brand new t480s with even better specs than you were looking at for $1,160, which is anywhere from $400-$600 less than the laptop you would have spec'd on their regular site.

This has the 8650u, 24gb ram, and the WQHD.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T480s/p/20L7CTO1WW-PC0Y68HN

You still get the Lenovo warranty, you still get a brand new machine, you still get everything you want. You just pay less because someone else's order got canceled. 

I live in europe so I'm not sure if I can order from there. But the websites says the product is not available anyway ?

2 hours ago, Hip said:

I live in europe so I'm not sure if I can order from there. But the websites says the product is not available anyway ?

Not sure if Lenovo has shipping restrictions for the outlet. You'd need to check with them.

It's certainly an early bird gets the worm situation, though, and it does look like someone snatched that build up. But new ones are posted regularly. So if you check with Lenovo and they say you're able to purchase from the outlet, it could be worth checking back (if you're able to wait a little bit). 

Good luck hunting though. I just got my Lenovo, and couldn't be any happier. It's exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find in another machine.