Floatplane is Dissapointing...No?

PhilOCE

But it could be so much better. The home page is just a login screen so boring and basic. It doesn't explain what it is or have any kind of tempting things you want to click on. I can see that if you are into LTT and want their videos earlier and don't mind paying for the privalage I guess it's fine but where are they going with it?? I thought it was supposed to be a kind of YouTube alternative or similar platform for creators but there are only 2 addtional creators on there which you have to pay for before you have even seen who they are and what they do. I'm a bit dissapojnted tbh. Big Linus and Luke fan and expected something frankly better and more exciting. It should have been a well prepared launch not a sort of slow migration of LTT fans onto a a very bland site. Is there an app for example?? It could be so much more it needs a load of inticing free content/teasers on there and loads of functionality like chats and so, so much more. I guess this is the end goal but I know about launching .com's and they need good to go on launch with no bugs and serious incentive for people to join and therefore create buzz etc I haven't subscribed to anything yet because frankly I was so underwhalmed by the website once registered I didn't even want to bother paying to see what other functionality and quality etc lies behind the $3 per month per channel/creator. We need to actually get a preview of what were getting. I'm amazed people have signed up. They must be loyal LTT fans as am I but I will keep watching on Youtube. Its asily accessible, free and I still get a video every day!! Sorry LMG guys I really admire your whole outfit to be honest which is why I am writing this post. If you wan't some feedback/ideas/info/consultation hit me back. I am an IT proffesional and did get shortlisted or contacted by luke for that floatplane job form that was online but I live in the UK currently but am looking at posibly moving to Canada. It looks nice and I'm getting a divorce. Anyway I digress does anyone else agree or disagree???

well good thing Floatplane is in ALPHA status still... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

i mean. they have mostly worked on backend stuff. and the site really havent fully launched (its in Alpha and they are just killing the Forum link with the site as it was just mess having both). i mean they just recently got streaming working.

also its not a youtube replacement.

i mean im not on the site myself. (im a cheapskate) but afaik that project is going along just fine while opening for more and more people.

I know it's in an Alpha state but it's inadvertantly getting a lot of publicity for a site that is in an Alpha State. I mean Linus himself mentions it a lot and he gets millions of views and has over 6 million subscribers on YouTube alone and they are bound to be intreagued (I was) and that's what they see when they check it out. That's what I was saying. I would have kept it hush and got more creators on board in the background and then done a huge launch and special deals for loyal LTT forum people etc. I know it's not a replacement for youtube as well I simply meant it is intended to be another platform for content creators so it needs to be up to scratch otherwise ther are alternatives and people will look the other way... I hope that doesn't happen as I said big fan and very respectful of the whole operation in general. I would hate this to be the thing that takes it all down. I hope the investment hasn't been too massive because if it fails like I said it could put them out of business if they have spent loads of money on developing it...

Also I guess my whole point was exactly that. We get it and I'm sure a lot of loyal superfans will stick with it in Alpha State but my point was that regardless of whether you are a new startup or building up your media empire as it were. You don't introduce anything to the world especially a ".com" until it is absoluteltey on point, functional and fit for purpose we live in an age where particularly when it comes to the internet, expectations are extremely high and people have short attention spans. It needs the buzz of a successful launch to properly take care of the chicken and the egg situation in terms of creators they have there. And if LMG are doing it primarly to have their own platform and full control of their own content then that is all well and good but there are always going to be video sharing platforms backed by huge companies with deep pockets, it's the future after all so it's a damn good idea to try and establish yourself within that space and the future but will it ever actually get a voice. That is what I'm saying, you have to shout pretty loud these days!

I don't really understand why there's a barrier to see what it is in the first place. Seems weird to me not to have any basic, 1 or 2 sentences of what it is and what you're paying for

There's no sales pitch because it's not ready for heavy promotion. 

The barriers are intentional right now to filter out anyone with high expectations considering what a small, bootstrap operation it is. 

The backers on the site are getting early access to creators, yes, but they are also super fans who are contributing just to see us build this thing and to support us. 

Someday it will be ready for the mainstream (both creators and viewers) but we don't want to take it out of the oven before it's cooked. 

13 hours ago, PhilOCE said:

I know it's in an Alpha state but it's inadvertantly getting a lot of publicity for a site that is in an Alpha State. I mean Linus himself mentions it a lot and he gets millions of views and has over 6 million subscribers on YouTube alone and they are bound to be intreagued (I was) and that's what they see when they check it out.

Its mentioned by people who also explain what its for. They aren't marketing it at all. Its only for those who watch videos and get the information from there.

That's what I was saying. I would have kept it hush and got more creators on board in the background and then done a huge launch and special deals for loyal LTT forum people etc.

Thats what they are doing...

I know it's not a replacement for youtube as well I simply meant it is intended to be another platform for content creators so it needs to be up to scratch otherwise ther are alternatives and people will look the other way...

Sorry to be rude, but as native English speaker your grammar and writing is horrible to read. I hardly get what this part says.

The platform isn't meant to be replacement to YT. Its meant to be alternative to other support-funding methods, like Patreon.

I hope that doesn't happen as I said big fan and very respectful of the whole operation in general. I would hate this to be the thing that takes it all down. I hope the investment hasn't been too massive because if it fails like I said it could put them out of business if they have spent loads of money on developing it...

I'm pretty sure its already self-sustaining. In sense that they can run things and get some revenue to direct into further development. They could have probably done it with just LMG videos and users. That never was reason why its predecessor, Vessel, failed.

12 hours ago, PhilOCE said:

You don't introduce anything to the world especially a ".com" until it is absoluteltey on point, functional and fit for purpose we live in an age where particularly when it comes to the internet,

Yeah, you haven't been around enough to see how often sites, services etc. get online way before they should. The fact that it requires payment to get anything going on is far more that what Youtube, Gmail and such were doing back in the day. Or Steam. They could have it invitation only, like many Google's services, and Facebook, have been when they started. But tbh that gathers more attention than having login floating around with it mentioned to viewers in 3 channels videos.

expectations are extremely high and people have short attention spans. It needs the buzz of a successful launch to properly take care of the chicken and the egg situation in terms of creators they have there. And if LMG are doing it primarly to have their own platform and full control of their own content then that is all well and...

Which is why its in Aplha, its rather closed and they don't market or launch it. All that happens when its ready. Which it isn't. Maybe not until next year.

...good but there are always going to be video sharing platforms backed by huge companies with deep pockets, it's the future after all so it's a damn good idea to try and establish yourself within that space and the future but will it ever actually get a voice...

You should watch WAN show, the last or one before that. Linus explains this exact thing. They aren't competing with major platforms. They are doing their own thing. And since the platform is already self-sustaining (revenue is enough to keep employees and hardware running), they don't have pressure to get it going to get into markets.

However, I'm agreeing with you that they should have actual splash screen explaining what the service is going to be and what state it currently is. Some disclaimer to explain things, maybe with directing to some forum thread discussing about what platform is about. @LinusTech @Slick I would be happy to assist on that part (without pay or any other recognition). Your communication on this, via forums at least, hasn't been up to standards we have come to expect.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

50 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Sorry to be rude, but as native English speaker your grammar and writing is horrible to read.

50 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which is why its in Aplha

image.png.55e4ab22a83eb84b20ea251798c608b6.png

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

53 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

I'm waiting you to use your third language... In my 6 years on this site, I've gotten only few trolls after my spelling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I'm waiting you to use your third language... In my 6 years on this site, I've gotten only few trolls after my spelling.

geez louise papa cheese, check my sig ^^ " Everything I say defaults to include /s "

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s