In house remote desktop streaming and control using wifi only

I have been wanting to do something like this for a while now but am unsure if there is a manageable way of doing this, and my Google searches have been inconclusive of what I would need.

I want to set up a computer in my parents house in such a way that the PC could stream its desktop to a laptop over wifi, similar to how steam can stream a game within your lan network, but I want to use this for more than just gaming. What would be the simplest way to do this, our who house has gigabit wifi, and I have a sufficient desktop to assemble that could handle this, but am unsure of what program/s I would need to use to get this started. I would need something simple to startup as both my parents would be using this and neither are very computer literate. 

This PC would be running work programs during the day, mainly arcgis, autocad, Microsoft office, but when I am home for the holidays I would use it for gaming in the evenings. So low latency would be nice, and as little conflict as possible. I am familiar with remote control over internet often using a number of programs to do this while traveling for work, but our home is on satellite internet and the delay Is far too great.