Car Audio questions

RectangularBox

I am getting a car for my upcoming 16th birthday, and I am in the market for some car audio components. I honestly have no idea what is good and what isn't... I understand headphones, but car audio is a brand new thing to me. If you have any suggestions as to what I should look into I would greatly appreciate it. 

Personally...

Hertz.

JL Audio

Focal

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Well, I'm not too sure what your price range is, but I'll let you know what I have.

• JL Audio 12W7AE-3 with custom ported box that fits snug in my car's hatch (12", 3 Ohm, 1000W max subwoofer + 1.75 cu ft. enclosure)
  • JL Audio HD1200 Monoblock Wide-Range Amplified (1200W with a 1.5-4 Ohm impedance range)

All in all, my system would retail for around $2500 - so it's a bit more expensive than I'd like to admit. The system itself is tuned down so that I won't blow out my subwoofer. That's not a good time.

What kind of a system are you going for? Total price?

Pew Pew Helicopters

What are you looking for exactly?

What kind of a system are you going for? Total price?

What would be a good price range? I imagine something like $1500 for the whole setup would be reasonable... I guess I want something that is good at bass and electronic music.

What would be a good price range? I imagine something like $1500 for the whole setup would be reasonable... I guess I want something that is good at bass and electronic music.

1500 is more than enough. What make, model, and year? 

Are you going to be putting this together yourself because throwing everything in is going to require some handiwork. 

Error: 410

Do this

stupid-big-subwoofer.jpg

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

So much more information is needed.

Are you replacing or even able to replace the source unit?
Are you replacing all the speakers and adding a subwoofer?

Do you want to run the speakers off of an amp or the source unit?
What size speakers does your vehicle take?

There are some really good niche brands. Rainbow and Diamond Audio come to mind.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Are you going to be putting this together yourself because throwing everything in is going to require some handiwork. 

Mitsubishi Eclipse.... probably in the 2000-2006 year range. As for putting it together, I think I can manage... Although if it doesn't save that much money it probably wouldn't be worth it, right?

I am getting a car for my upcoming 16th birthday, and I am in the market for some car audio components. I honestly have no idea what is good and what isn't... I understand headphones, but car audio is a brand new thing to me. If you have any suggestions as to what I should look into I would greatly appreciate it. 

You need a deck with RCA inputs. For bass you need a subwoofer, enclousure, an amplifier, and all the wires. Cars usuallay have speakers preinstalled and you can upgrade those and hook them up to an amp as well.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

It all depends on what car you are getting. Some of the newer cars it's nearly impossible to do ANYTHING to them. Especially audio/electrical upgrades. Older cars (like pre 2006) are a lot easier to work on.

I've noticed upgrading the head unit, and get some nice clean power sounds better then replacing just the speakers.

And there's a thing as too much bass, so upgrading the speakers/headunit/maybe an amp, is probably enough.

I know in my 2003 Saab 9-3, if you replace the headunit, the car won't start... :rolleyes:

It does take a good deal of time but actually doing it is not rocket science (of course depending on the car). There are usually already several holes and panels to run cables through and behind. It definitely is something I think you should do yourself, it's a very enjoyable process to go through with your car and maybe a friend. :)

Mitsubishi Eclipse.... probably in the 2000-2006 year range. As for putting it together, I think I can manage... Although if it doesn't save that much money it probably wouldn't be worth it, right?

I'll work on a build. And it will save money, definitely. Having a car shop do it for you is costly and sometimes they do some really shoddy work.

It all depends on what car you are getting. Some of the newer cars it's nearly impossible to do ANYTHING to them. Especially audio/electrical upgrades. Older cars (like pre 2006) are a lot easier to work on.

I've noticed upgrading the head unit, and get some nice clean power sounds better then replacing just the speakers.

And there's a thing as too much bass, so upgrading the speakers/headunit/maybe an amp, is probably enough.

QFT, 2007 Mazda and I had to get an entire new front dash just to change my stereo since there was a buttload of motherboards and HVAC panels underneath the face of the stock radio. 

250$ dash nbd right?

It does take a good deal of time but actually doing it is not rocket science (of course depending on the car). There are usually already several holes and panels to run cables through and behind. It definitely is something I think you should do yourself, it's a very enjoyable process to go through with your car and maybe a friend. :)

It's not difficult but you should be comfortable working with the car and improvising in some situations.

Alright, let's figure this out here. I'm going to say that you're not into insane audio and more so a listening experience...so no crazy ported boxes that will rattle five or six cars back.

So...this list that I would recommend in a pinch would be:

That's what I'd say would be a nice setup. Definitely would kick and be cost effective at the same time.

Edit: With that extra $500, you'll easily be able to buy a decent deck and wire kit and do it yourself. I'm guessing the car already has a decent deck, because most Mitsubishi owners are crazy and upgrade their audio deck but leave the audio alone - hah.

Pew Pew Helicopters

Alright, let's figure this out here. I'm going to say that you're not into insane audio and more so a listening experience...so no crazy ported boxes that will rattle five or six cars back.

So...this list that I would recommend in a pinch would be:

That's what I'd say would be a nice setup. Definitely would kick and be cost effective at the same time.

500$ for a 600w monoblock is blasphemous  :unsure:

Are you replacing or even able to replace the source unit?

Are you replacing all the speakers and adding a subwoofer?

Do you want to run the speakers off of an amp or the source unit?

What size speakers does your vehicle take?

By source unit I assume you mean radio... If so yes, I would plan to replace it... Other than that I'm not exactly sure.

I'm looking for a 2000-2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse if that helps at all. 

By source unit I assume you mean radio... If so yes, I would plan to replace it... Other than that I'm not exactly sure.

Grab a 2006 GT if you can. That's about as much power as my Nissan makes and it's probably half a ton lighter.

What kind of listening experience do you have? Some people (myself included, I won't lie on the internet) like a bass heavy experience in the car. Feeling the music when you drive makes driving a whole new experience p:

or are you looking for something more accurate and balanced?

500$ for a 600w monoblock is blasphemous  :unsure:

But the warranty is beautiful with JL. I was thinking after tax extremes. The pricing on the JL site is often a lot more than what you can buy them for at audio shops.

My local shop, for instances, usually prices $100-150 under JL's website pricing.

But I mean - let's keep it easy for him. You don't want to go crazy on the first system, hah.

A good substitute might be this amplifier - the -amplifiers-98263'>JX500.

Pew Pew Helicopters

Are you looking for a basic single DIN unit, or are you going to go for a double DIN with gps, touch screen, etc built into it?

You'd have to buy an adapter kit for either one, so that's something to factor into the cost as well.

Honestly, unless you have the car already it's best to hold off on buying anything. Speaker sizes vary vastly from car to car. So does source unit selection.

Just please don't make a super bass heavy car. Driving around causing tremors just makes you look like a douche.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What kind of listening experience do you have? Some people (myself included, I won't lie on the internet) like a bass heavy experience in the car. Feeling the music when you drive makes driving a whole new experience p:

Bring on the bass! I always like a large amount of bass in the car.

Just please don't make a super bass heavy car. Driving around causing tremors just makes you look like a douche.

I won't... I don't want to be "that guy"

Bring on the bass! I always like a large amount of bass in the car.

Well, we can help you decide on a pair of subwoofers but as for door speakers, it's kind of hard to recommend a pair when you don't have a car yet. Like said before, the sizes will vary from car to year for the door speakers. A lot of japanese import cars support 5" and other variations where some cards will support up to 6x9. 5 1/4 is usually a safe choice, but I would wait until you get your car.

The dash kit you buy will also logically vary depending on year. 

You'll want something ported, and for the love of god don't get a sony Xplod, Dual, Jenson, Pyramid, Boss, or one of those stupid square Kicker L(x) series subwoofers. Sound waves are not generated well by a square cone. 

Ported usually gives deeper "shakier" tremor bass, where sealed will give you more punchy bass. Which are you looking for? Often the sealed subwoofers can be more accurate and some ported subwoofers at high volumes have trouble with bottoming out and "slow" out of sync bass notes. 

Well, we can help you decide on a pair of subwoofers but as for door speakers, it's kind of hard to recommend a pair when you don't have a car yet. Like said before, the sizes will vary from car to year for the door speakers. A lot of japanese import cars support 5" and other variations where some cards will support up to 6x9. 5 1/4 is usually a safe choice, but I would wait until you get your car.

The dash kit you buy will also logically vary depending on year. 

You'll want something ported, and for the love of god don't get a sony Xplod, Dual, Jenson, Pyramid, Boss, or one of those stupid square Kicker L(x) series subwoofers. Music waves are not generated well by a square cone. 

Ported usually gives deeper "shakier" tremor bass, where sealed will give you more punchy bass. Which are you looking for? 

6 1/2 is a pretty common size as well. I'd really hold off on speakers until the car is in hand.

I'd also think about waiting on the subwoofer enclosure, as depending on the space available and the hatch there may be issues with height restrictions. It happens. Sometimes the parcel shelf is too low in the rear and it doesn't fit properly either.

Or, if you get a car with a really small trunk it might be more useful to go with a slim subwoofer to safe space. Some people like to have a little usable space in their trunk left haha

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler