Game hardware and saves modifying, gray market keys illegal in Japan now

Mira Yurizaki

From: https://kotaku.com/game-modding-illegal-in-japan-punishable-by-prison-and-1831525943

It is illegal to mod game save data and game consoles in Japan. Both are punishable by up to five years in prison and fines up to 5 million yen ($46,000).

According to the official site for Japan’s Association of Copyright for Computer Software, modding game save data and consoles violate the country’s Unfair Competition Prevention Law. This is the Japanese government is expanding regulations to protect game console content and includes adding new data and disturbing the services companies offer.

The Association of Copyright for Computer Software also mentions that unofficial software codes and keys are also illegal. Specifically, mentioned is offering these on online auctions and making them available for download.

Considering the spirit of why modifying game saves being illegal, I feel it's a law just to have a law. i.e., it sets a precedent if someone wants to accuse another of legitimate cheating for competitions. But otherwise this deals a serious blow to the homebrew scene over there.

The gray market key thing is interesting, but I also feel this is mostly to combat storefronts like Kinguin and G2A.