3 Pin RGB header [ X X X] ?

Daniel_Ghax

Hey!

In the near future i want to build myselve a new Desk and I wanted to have RGB support, but with addressable RGB's(2 Meter) that are connected to my PC, BUT!
To use addressable RGB's I need to use the 3 Pin RGB header [ X X    X] from my Motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix x470-F Gaming) with Aura Sync , but i just don't get what RGB stripes I need to buy, because all the Stripes i saw had 4 Pin [ X X X X ] or 3 Pin

but [ X X X ] not [ X X   X ].

Do I need to buy 2-3 adapters to make it possible? Or is there an easy way?
And how long can an RGB Stripe powered from the 3 Pin RGB header) be?

Sorry if something was unclear.

Greeting from Germany ;D

33 minutes ago, Daniel_Ghax said:

Hey!

In the near future i want to build myselve a new Desk and I wanted to have RGB support, but with addressable RGB's(2 Meter) that are connected to my PC, BUT!
To use addressable RGB's I need to use the 3 Pin RGB header [ X X    X] from my Motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix x470-F Gaming) with Aura Sync , but i just don't get what RGB stripes I need to buy, because all the Stripes i saw had 4 Pin [ X X X X ] or 3 Pin

but [ X X X ] not [ X X   X ].

Do I need to buy 2-3 adapters to make it possible? Or is there an easy way?
And how long can an RGB Stripe powered from the 3 Pin RGB header) be?

Sorry if something was unclear.

Greeting from Germany ;D

I bought the Phanteks Digital RGB strips and they come with the adapter for 3 pin (4 pin but only has 3 pins). The addressable headers on the ASUS motherboards are 4 pin RGB headers and 4 pin (really only 3 pins) that are addressable headers. The Strix has both of those.

Here's a pic where they are on the sides of my tempered glass. I'm switching out my motherboard in a few hours to the Gaming 7 that just came in today and on that one it's actually 4 pin headers with just 3 pin (not fake 4 pin) addressable headers. So I will take some pics to show you, because I was very confused about them as well.

20181227_204322.thumb.jpg.b8c95b1d9b9f022614ed28a99bb5691b.jpg

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

10 hours ago, Daniel_Ghax said:

-SNIP-

It has been standardized so that for PC systems they use 4 pin analog RGB LED's and addressable ones run off a 3 pin. You can not mix and match analog and addressable LED strips as they use a different voltage and control protocol. 

Here's an example of some addressable LED's that will work with a 3 pin header, the length doesn't matter what matters is the number of LED's and the maximum amperage the header on your motherboard can support. 

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-addressable-led-strip-60cm-rgb/

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-DRGBLED_CMBO.html

2 hours ago, W-L said:

It has been standardized so that for PC systems they use 4 pin analog RGB LED's and addressable ones run off a 4 pin. You can not mix and match analog and addressable LED strips as they use a different voltage and control protocol. 

Here's an example of some addressable LED's that will work with a 3 pin header, the length doesn't matter what matters is the number of LED's and the maximum amperage the header on your motherboard can support. 

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-addressable-led-strip-60cm-rgb/

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-DRGBLED_CMBO.html

I think he meant that the older ones use a traditional 4-pin 12 volt RGB header with +12, G R B pins, and the addressable ones use a 3 pin that is +5v Data <blank> and Ground (same 4 pin base, but pin 3 is blank/unused/missing).

They can't be mixed - you have to use the correct type for each header on the motherboard.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

5 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

I think he meant that the older ones use a traditional 4-pin 12 volt RGB header with +12, G R B pins, and the addressable ones use a 3 pin that is +5v Data <blank> and Ground (same 4 pin base, but pin 3 is blank/unused/missing).

They can't be mixed - you have to use the correct type for each header on the motherboard.

Yes I meant 3 pin for addressable there, corrected.