What happened to 240Hz monitors ?

Bonergarage_007

I've been looking for an Alienware aw2518h (g-sync) 240hz monitor and was astonished to find most online stores listed them to be out of stock. It appears 144 hz have become the norm.

The only 240Hz monitor was asus rog pg25(something). What should I get? I am running an rtx 2080.

Humans can only see up to 1.21 gigawatts.

240 is really overkill for the price to performance. 60->120 or 60->144 is an amazing jump but 144->240 is (while noticeable to some people) not much of a performance boost for the price it cost.

I'd just get a 1440P 144 Hz or a 100 Hz UWQHD . thats basically the limit of most hardware with newer games right now anyways unless you go low settings. 240Hz is niche because its for niche users just like people with >4k resolution setups. They need it for some edge case and can justify the expense

Prolly because how hard it is to drive. 

Only easy runninf esports are common to see it. 

Wanted to try one myself, old 120hz monitors aren’t cutting it anymore. Haven’t checked the market though. Didn’t think they would be any less viable than ultra wides with high refresh rates. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

really no point to buy a 1080p 240hz monitor when processing power has advanced enough to push 144hz at 1440p, the extra 100 fps above 144hz wont make much of experience unless you are a professional player that doesnt care graphic at all

-threads merged-

As for the question, it's probably a combination of factors including but not limited to:

• harder to render that many frames
  • diminishing returns (144 is already quite smooth, is 240 really that much better?)
  • as refresh rate increases, other aspects of image quality unavoidably decrease given the same price, and at some point, even regardless of price

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.