Did I do a stupid?

TheNightWolf

Or did I genuinely figure a way to build an okay computer? By okay, I mean able to just do some light gaming, very light, along with some editing of pictures and minor other stuff. I'm new to this, I may have royally messed up and lost $300, but then again maybe not. I have a Solid state kicking around I'm going to throw at it, and I'm going to see how the integrated graphics do while I save up and plan on where I want to go with video, along with adding more ram at the same time. If anyone has any insight, or wants to tell me I'm horribly wrong, and messed up, I'll listen. Like I said, I'm new, this will be my first build that wasn't me taking a pre built computer slapping some ram in it and calling it a day. 

If you don't wanna click the links, its a Ryzen 3 2200G with the Vega integrated graphics, EVGA 450 watt PSU, MSI Pro Series B350M Mortar, 8 Gigs (2x4 gig) Ballistix Ram, and a $20 Rosewill case. 

The Case

Motherboard

Ram

Powersupply

CPU

Total after tax was like $310 or something. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $99.47 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $64.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $104.99 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.89 @ OutletPC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $374.33
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $359.33
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-04 21:34 EST-0500  

get something better

the cpu is a fair choise, the mobo is pretty bad vrmwise

16 gigs doesn't cost that much more

a nicer case to work in

a psu that's more like it for a gaming system, that one is kinda crap

Honestly, you should be fine. Sure, it's not going to be great, but it should be enough for what you plan on doing.

You got the right case size - I've seen plenty of people buy Micro ATX Cases and Full ATX motherboards.

You might be hitting the full RAM usage; however, 8 GB is a good place to start and you can upgrade that later.

The PSU shouldn't cause you any problems, but it's slightly more likely to. It was placed Tier 5 on the Tier List.

I don't know much about motherboards - so I'm staying quiet on it.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

50 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:
Type Item Price
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $104.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.89 @ OutletPC
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $374.33
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $359.33
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-04 21:34 EST-0500  

get something better

the cpu is a fair choise, the mobo is pretty bad vrmwise

16 gigs doesn't cost that much more

a nicer case to work in

a psu that's more like it for a gaming system, that one is kinda crap

Would be too expensive, I definitely appreciate the list though, the ram will be my first upgrade, and as fair as the Motherboard, how bad is bad? 

I was legitimately looking to spend as close to $300 as possible, since I only really had $250 to spend. As outrageous as that all sounds.

47 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Honestly, you should be fine. Sure, it's not going to be great, but it should be enough for what you plan on doing.

You got the right case size - I've seen plenty of people buy Micro ATX Cases and Full ATX motherboards.

You might be hitting the full RAM usage; however, 8 GB is a good place to start and you can upgrade that later.

The PSU shouldn't cause you any problems, but it's slightly more likely to. It was placed Tier 5 on the Tier List.

I spent a solid 30 minutes making sure I had the case and motherboard sized correctly, It would definitely suck to go through the trouble of ordering and messing up the size.

I appreciate the feedback, and yeah the Ram would be one of the first things I add more of along with a video card in a couple weeks, months, or never depending. At the moment I just have a 6 year old laptop that I use, and I figure anything is better than that.

2 minutes ago, TheNightWolf said:

Would be too expensive, I definitely appreciate the list though, the ram will be my first upgrade, and as fair as the Motherboard, how bad is bad? 

I was legitimately looking to spend as close to $300 as possible, since I only really had $250 to spend. As outrageous as that all sounds.

wouldn't go lower than this...

Type Item Price
Memory Patriot - Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg Business
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $329.33
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $314.33
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-04 21:43 EST-0500  

4 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

excuse me? ONLY tier 5? that's kinda really crap... tier 3/c+ is highly recommended for ANY gaming system

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

wouldn't go lower than this...

Type Item Price
Memory Patriot - Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg Business
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $329.33
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $314.33
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-04 21:43 EST-0500  

excuse me? ONLY tier 5? that's kinda really crap... tier 3/c+ is highly recommended for ANY gaming system

Not to sound like the pickiest jerk off, but the case isn't my style, I prefer just plain, no windows, no lights, nothing extra. For me as long as the case holds the pieces, and has enough airflow to keep things cool, I'll be happy. 

I'll keep that PSU in mind incase something is terribly wrong with the one I end up with on Monday. As far as the motherboard, with the VRM, what kind of issues can I run into with that? Will it be an issue even at stockish clocks?

When I talk about gaming, it will be barely used, only when my internet is down, and I have no access to my shadow, and get bored on my Xbox. 

5 hours ago, TheNightWolf said:

Not to sound like the pickiest jerk off, but the case isn't my style, I prefer just plain, no windows, no lights, nothing extra. For me as long as the case holds the pieces, and has enough airflow to keep things cool, I'll be happy. 

I'll keep that PSU in mind incase something is terribly wrong with the one I end up with on Monday. As far as the motherboard, with the VRM, what kind of issues can I run into with that? Will it be an issue even at stockish clocks?

When I talk about gaming, it will be barely used, only when my internet is down, and I have no access to my shadow, and get bored on my Xbox. 

well, it's a general quality increase. it makes the board wear out less, the vrms run cooler, the cpu run more stable power, and for the low price of a pro4, i would invest it. it looks like the case has little airflow, but I'll add casegod @TVwazhere

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, it's a general quality increase. it makes the board wear out less, the vrms run cooler, the cpu run more stable power, and for the low price of a pro4, i would invest it. it looks like the case has little airflow, but I'll add casegod @TVwazhere

I appreciate the feedback, I'll definitely get a different PSU, if I can swap it out now, or in a week or so once I get everything if it's already shipped.

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

it looks like the case has little airflow, but I'll add casegod @TVwazhere

I mean on this tight of a budget and low system spec, the case isnt a bad one. It's literally the cheapest case you can find, and it comes with an 80mm rear exhaust fan. It's got a side mount for a fan which is arguably the best method to cool a down firing stock CPU heatsink and future GPU anyways

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I mean on this tight of a budget and low system spec, the case isnt a bad one. It's literally the cheapest case you can find, and it comes with an 80mm rear exhaust fan. It's got a side mount for a fan which is arguably the best method to cool a down firing stock CPU heatsink and future GPU anyways

I've got a computer I can dig into parts for, and that has a couple fans I could swap in if cooling is an issue down the road and I stick to this case. In a few months I could always get a better flowing case, should I see the temps getting too high.