Does PSU watts effects overclocking?

kecap

I've decided I want better performance with my PC, the current build is a Ryzen 5 1600 with XFX RX 580 and a Seasonic M12II-520 520W. I tried overclocking my cpu, I once got 3.8Ghz stable but then I tried OCin my GPU just a TINY bit, it crashed and now I put everything on base clock just to be safe. 

Would I get better OC with a bigger watt PSU? I'm currently looking at Seasonic S12II-620 620W or if there's something better please recommend me. Thank you.

I run an overclocked Ryzen 5 1600 and an overclocked GTX 780 on a 550W unit, you shouldn't have any issues with that setup.

Did you increase the power limit for your GPU?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I run an overclocked Ryzen 5 1600 and an overclocked GTX 780 on a 550W unit, you shouldn't have any issues with that setup.

Did you increase the power limit for your GPU?

I don't think so, all I did was edit the frequency on Radeon settings WattMan

4 minutes ago, kecap said:

I've decided I want better performance with my PC, the current build is a Ryzen 5 1600 with XFX RX 580 and a Seasonic M12II-520 520W. I tried overclocking my cpu, I once got 3.8Ghz stable but then I tried OCin my GPU just a TINY bit, it crashed and now I put everything on base clock just to be safe. 

Would I get better OC with a bigger watt PSU? I'm currently looking at Seasonic S12II-620 620W or if there's something better please recommend me. Thank you.

no, that PSU provides PLENTY of power, don't know what you're doing but maybe you're inexperienced with overclocking

how much is a tiny bit for the GPU? and you should increase power limit on it when you overclock, and as for the CPU, i have no clue what voltages you're running at and maybe 3.8 is the limit of the chip, its low but possible

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, syn2112 said:

no, that PSU provides PLENTY of power, don't know what you're doing but maybe you're inexperienced with overclocking

how much is a tiny bit for the GPU? and you should increase power limit on it when you overclock, and as for the CPU, i have no clue what voltages you're running at and maybe 3.8 is the limit of the chip, its low but possible

I'm a beginner with overclocking. I think I went 1.4V on the CPU when I got 3.8Ghz. I tried 1430Mhz which is 5Mhz above the OC+ clock based on XFX's website, max I got is using the OC+ settings XFX gave.  I will try increasing the power limit on the GPU, thanks.

"Bigger watt" is not the same as "better". And there are so many more things to a power supply than watts.

Will watts affect your overclocking? Probably not. Because your 520W PSU (really just 480W since that's all on the 12V rail) is more than enough for your system needs.

But what would affect your overclocking is the power supply's voltage stability. And your particular power supply isn't very good at that.

The M12ii PSUs are rather low quality.

The crashes may be caused by unstable voltages delivered by your power supply. You can use a multimeter to test.

But not by a wattage shortage.

Otherwise the problem lays elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, Rexper said:

"Bigger watt" is not the same as "better". And there are so many more things to a power supply than watts.

Will watts affect your overclocking? Probably not. Because your 520W PSU (really just 480W since that's all on the 12V rail) is more than enough for your system needs.

But what would affect your overclocking is the power supply's voltage stability. And your particular power supply isn't very good at that.

The M12ii PSUs are rather low quality.

The crashes may be caused by unstable voltages delivered by your power supply. You can use a multimeter to test.

But not by a wattage shortage.

Otherwise the problem lays elsewhere.

Alright. Thanks alot

Not really as long as you still have sufficient wattage but PSU quality does matter as the electricity going to your components can be either right or wrong which will mess up system stability and a M12II-520W is by today's standards is a very shitty PSU.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 hours ago, kecap said:

a Seasonic M12II-520 520W.

Why just why?!
Why do people still consider a 2010 PSU for modern components?

Can you still return it?

Here Info:

9 hours ago, kecap said:

I tried overclocking my cpu, I once got 3.8Ghz stable but then I tried OCin my GPU just a TINY bit, it crashed and now I put everything on base clock just to be safe. 

You get the same shit with higher wattage.

The Wattage isn't the Problem, the quality of the PSU is, regardless of the OC values.

The 520W was a mistake.

But then again, its entirely possible that the CPU doesn't go higher.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/2/2019 at 12:48 AM, kecap said:

Wattage?  Not so much.  OC can easily double your power consumption at times, but you're still within reason wattage wise.

QUALITY of power plays a bigger part.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:48 AM, kecap said:

... and a Seasonic M12II-520 520W. 

ooooof

On 1/2/2019 at 9:54 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Why just why?!
Why do people still consider a 2010 PSU for modern components?

Can you still return it?

Here Info:

You get the same shit with higher wattage.

The Wattage isn't the Problem, the quality of the PSU is, regardless of the OC values.

The 520W was a mistake.

But then again, its entirely possible that the CPU doesn't go higher.

Would something from tier 2-3 from the PSU tier list be good enough for what I'm trying to achieve? The only thing I can afford in the tier 1 is the  Bitfenix Whisper M 550W

Also no, I can't return it because I made this build in mid 2017 rip

Just now, kecap said:

Would something from tier 2-3 from the PSU tier list be good enough for what I'm trying to achieve? The only thing I can afford in the tier 1 is the  Bitfenix Whisper M 550W

That's a pretty good PSU, so why not go with that??

The Rest depends about what you are really talking about...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's a pretty good PSU, so why not go with that??

The Rest depends about what you are really talking about...

Ok, thanks alot.

In general no..at this point..a more stable unit on the rails might help some though....

It's just overall handling and wattage...you can hook up more shit to it and a load. 

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

EVGA SuperSC CL16 3200 16gb

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w.