How to Remove the Microsoft Mail App (and Calender) from Windows 10

SansVarnic

Not sure how many people are interested in removing the built-in Microsoft Mail App but I figured I would place this here for those that do for reference. I have placed this in the Windows OS thread since this is a built-in App and cannot be removed by conventional means i.e. opening the Apps section in Setting or going into the Control Panel>Programs and applications to remove.

I myself use Office 365 so I use Outlook 2018 as my primary email UI, thus having no need for a secondary mail app always running in the background on my laptop (resource waste imo)

Please note that by removing the Mail app and subsequently the Calendar app [as they are installed together and removed together] that other accounts on your pc will no longer have access to this app.

So without further ado, just follow these steps below ;

1. Open the Start menu or search bar and type in Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
  2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
  3. Enter the below command to remove or install the Mail and calendar app. (copy paste works as well)
    • get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

Please Note: By running the above commands, Windows Calendar app will also be removed.

To reinstall the app just repeat the above 3 steps

Check to see if the app installs, if not, then go to your Microsoft store and search for the Microsoft Mail and Calendar App then select Install.

Original Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-remove-windows-10-mail-app/9cb5f451-48d8-4ab6-ad41-7c0a5d45fe80

I hope this finds well those in need of this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm terrible with syntax in code, but

get-appxpackage microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps|remove-appxpackage

Doesn't seem to do anything, and

remove-appxpackage microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

returns errors...?

Removing Mail and Calendar breaks Windows 10 experience.

Calendar breaks the agenda feature when you open the system calendar.

984966939_Annotation2019-01-01232203.png.5333b4be5941bd10633b4b59a41b590a.png

Removing Mail app, breaks the Share dialog box.

1604965222_Annotation2019-01-01233021.png.219ddb0ab846deb1f98b96bc2cf23fc2.png

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Thanks for sharing.

Would this perhaps work on a bunch of other bloatware packaged with Windows 10?

TBH I am not sure. I had to search for a while to find this result for myself. I included the original source of the answer.

9 minutes ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

I'm terrible with syntax in code, but

get-appxpackage microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps|remove-appxpackage

Doesn't seem to do anything, and

remove-appxpackage microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

returns errors...?

You need to use the full line, it doesn't "seem" to do anything but the app is removed, check your installed apps and it should not longer be listed. I don't think the actual app is removed just the relationship required run it as Windows still requires your email and other relationships in order to maintain your license and login but I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Removing Calendar breaks Windows 10 experience.

It breaks the agenda feature when you open the calendar.

Removing Mail app, breaks the Share dialog box.

pretty much. I don't mind it as I don't use it anyhow. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

just the relationship required run it as Windows still requires your email and other relationships in order to maintain your license and login

Don't know what you mean here

11 hours ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

Don't know what you mean here

He means that everything is somehow connected, especially in win10. For example - disable firewall service and you lost access to lot of modern apps and updates (even if this should not be related). It's probably easier for Microsoft to use functionality of existing programs and services.