Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I detect all 250gb of my ssd?

mxk
 Share

Title is pretty much it. I'm trying to detect my new 250gb SSD, and it isn't my boot drive. I'm just using it until I put in my new PC as the boot drive.

 

I'm in storage management in windows 7 (Yes I still use windows 7), and I really have no idea how to make it detect all of the drive's space.

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should see your drive somewhere in there with unallocated space. Right click on that section(whichever one is the 250GB device) and click on New Simple Volume. 

 

If you don't see the drive or are seeing some weird anomalies, can you send a screenshot of what you see?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I'm trying to detect my new 250gb SSD, and it isn't my boot drive. I'm just using it until I put in my new PC as the boot drive.

Keep in mind any data you store on it now will be lost when you install it as the boot drive in your new PC. The OS installation process will format the drive.

In drive management select the drive and use Format. Follow the prompts and it will format the drive and assign it a drive letter and it will show up in "My Computer" as a usable drive. It should show as about 233GiB once formatted.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

a 256gb ssd will not have the total amount of space that you bought avaliable.

 

this is because part of it is partitioned for uses like caching and other uses. normally a 256gb will have abou 225gb of storage.

 

just the way it is sorry

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well SSD's usually reserve a few gigs for garbage collection, caching, etc. I don't think you can turn that into usable space. (Windows 7 is superior btw, dont feel bad)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Acid Panda said:

a 256gb ssd will not have the total amount of space that you bought avaliable.

Not available to the user, sure. But the drive really is 250GB.

 

Windows calculates space differently than drive manufacturers(Gibibytes vs Gigabytes).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Not available to the user, sure. But the drive really is 250GB.

 

Windows calculates space differently than drive manufacturers(Gibibytes vs Gigabytes).

true but the space is not really utilisable to the average user

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You should see your drive somewhere in there with unallocated space. Right click on that section(whichever one is the 250GB device) and click on New Simple Volume. 

 

If you don't see the drive or are seeing some weird anomalies, can you send a screenshot of what you see?

Yup, got it. I'm installing a game to it right now. 

 

11 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Well SSD's usually reserve a few gigs for garbage collection, caching, etc. I don't think you can turn that into usable space. (Windows 7 is superior btw, dont feel bad)

I love windows 7. I wish I could use it on my new PC

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Keep in mind any data you store on it now will be lost when you install it as the boot drive in your new PC. The OS installation process will format the drive.

In drive management select the drive and use Format. Follow the prompts and it will format the drive and assign it a drive letter and it will show up in "My Computer" as a usable drive. It should show as about 233GiB once formatted.

Yup, I guess this was also a verification that I didn't get a lemon SSD. I'll be installing my games back to my HDD but I just want to use this in the meantime.

 

Hows 2019?

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Yup, got it. I'm installing a game to it right now. 

 

I love windows 7. I wish I could use it on my new PC

Awesome.

I also want to mention that depending on the drive you purchased, you should not have any capacity loss due to the above things mentioned(garbage collection, caching, etc) because drive manufacturers will usually include extra NAND flash on the PCB for maintenance, longevity, and speed purposes that are not accessible by the user. The drive will use that so as not to not affect the user experience if that experience were to be degraded.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Awesome.

I also want to mention that depending on the drive you purchased, you should not have any capacity loss due to the above things mentioned(garbage collection, caching, etc) because drive manufacturers will usually include extra NAND flash on the PCB for maintenance, longevity, and speed purposes that are not accessible by the user. The drive will use that so as not to not affect the user experience if that experience were to be degraded.

I think there's about 230gb for me to use. Very good to know!

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I think there's about 230gb for me to use. Very good to know!

Also keep in mind that Windows reports capacity differently to drive manufacturers.

 

Windows uses Gibibytes whereas drive manufacturers use Gigabytes. Gibibytes is abbreviated to GiB and of course, Gigabytes, GB.

 

1GB is equal to about 931 mebibytes. So if you have a 1000GB hard drive, Windows will report it as 931GB, even though it's actually 931GiB. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, mxk. said:

Yup, I guess this was also a verification that I didn't get a lemon SSD. I'll be installing my games back to my HDD but I just want to use this in the meantime.

 

Hows 2019?

You can run programs such as HD Sentinel or CrystalDiskMark64 to check the performance of the drive to ensure it's working correctly.
 

15 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

a 256gb ssd will not have the total amount of space that you bought avaliable.

 

this is because part of it is partitioned for uses like caching and other uses. normally a 256gb will have abou 225gb of storage.

 

just the way it is sorry

 

15 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Well SSD's usually reserve a few gigs for garbage collection, caching, etc. I don't think you can turn that into usable space. (Windows 7 is superior btw, dont feel bad)

The advertised drive capacity of a SSD does not include the hidden space reserved for garbage collection/TRIM. That hidden storage space is in addition to what is advertised, so for example a 240GB advertised SSD may really have 256GB worth of NAND flash storage on it.

As @Godlygamer23 has already explained, the reason you don't get the full advertised storage capacity is the same reason why you don't get the full advertised storage capacity on a HDD. Windows measures in "Gibibytes" (base 2) and drive manufacturers measure in "Gigabytes" (base 10).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

As an example, here's a 500GB SSD and a 6TB HDD, both of which don't match the advertised capacity due to the above reason.
image.png.2b1f541733e9a8771b9b4ae75515dc3a.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×