"K" Supercomputer takes 40 minutes to simulate 1 second of brain activity

SchrodingersCat_

It's not like you can say that we are much more powerful than the computer. Emulation - especially with something so different - is far harder than running on the "dedicated hardware" that the brain is. These are two things made for far different kinds of thinking.

Our brain just has really good drivers lol

In before people harvest brains to build computers xD

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

So my brain can play crysis 3 on ultra at 3x 4k displays with 120fps and 3d? awesome !

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Nice try at shoehorning god into there buddy.

Get out.

Just stop. He has his beliefs like you do, don't insult him because he has faith in something you don't.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Anyway OP: It's very interesting to see these results, but meanwhile we have to remember that humans can actually normally only use around 10% of their brain at one time. Which means that this is a measure of brainpower we can't use ;)

Disclaimer: I might be wrong so if anyone would like to object then please do :)

It's not 100% at one time, but it's much closer to 50%.

Every bit does count, though. Don't try and test this by scooping out parts of your brain because you think you might not need them. :)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

So my brain can play crysis 3 on ultra at 3x 4k displays with 120fps and 3d? awesome !

Try 6X (Eyefinity supports it) 16K monitors running at 1000 FPS with 10d :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

The bottom line is, if your brain were a graphics card, it would, in fact, be able to play Crysis :)

But still not Minesweeper :(

Get out.

As condescending as they were to agnostics, atheists and people of other religious beliefs, you should watch this.

well we still cant emulate a PS3 on a normal computer yet so no wonder we struggle to emulate a completly organic object!

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

And yet I am still extremely incompetent. Oh well. Time to send my brain for RMA.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Humans are supercomputers....

sort of....

We have still our humanity and Feelings like love and true friendship and thats what keeps us diffrent from machins.

My oppinion is...

I think its cool to have such a computer but i dont wanna have stuff that is better then humans are or we gonna be worthless very soon!

Think about it ;)

Get out.

Please don't start a religious argument... 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

...and why am I still so dumb

Because you aren't. You're here anyway and that counts for enough to unidiot-ify you.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I REALLY hope nobody tries to fit a brain inside a PCIe express slot. Might make a nice horror movie.

I think our brains would hit the bandwidth limit of all current PCI-E 2.0/3.0 technology's :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Get out.

Don't act so hostile, it would have sufficed if you left out the 'get out' part. I know he should just kept his opinion to himself instead of presuming it as a fact that goes for all, like 

agressive atheists do as well (it goes both ways) but this is a nice forum and please keep it nice, that means not provoking anyone (It didn't happen this time - yet? - but it very well could have happened)

Case: Fractal Design R4 Window PSU: Seasonic G-series 650w MOBO: 870 Extreme R2.0 CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 GPU: Asus DirectCU II Radeon HD 7970 

In 40,000 years if computers aren't as powerful as the human brain is now (barring mass extinction) I'd say you were right.

Mankind won't survive 40,000 years, probably not even 1000 years. Mass extinction is the far more likely scenario. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Get out.

Brilliant assumption. There was no "chance" that he was referring to the possibility of an alien race having possibly made humans and perhaps life on Earth and other planets.  :rolleyes:

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

This reminded me of an upcoming movie called Transcendence, where this dude is dying and decides to upload his entire mind to a super computer, kind of freaky....

The brain is a pretty complex structure, even if we did emulate it we still had to do that..the computer didn't emulate it itself you know what I mean? So we are still a step ahead of it. We know more about our entire planet than we do about the brain. Its like parking your car on the street and suddenly it starts up by itself and drives itself around the block. If a computer now days could just spontaneously start to think on its own without us having to get the wheels going in the first place, than the argument about computer emulated brains is plausible. 

Any animal mind is just built off of connected neurons, which just communicate with each other.  If researchers find a way to properly simulate neurons in a computer, then you could make a being that thinks (albeit the structure is highly important, and there are different types of neurons in the brain).  The interesting thing is if you have enough computing power to actually simulate the brain (we are effectively highly parallel machines), while the thinking power might not be on par with humans initially you can slowly add more neurons and connections until it matches our intelligence (and with access to more mathematics type of structures, they could outwit us in calculations).  So eventually if we can create a proper neuron in a computer (which we are actually nearing), then we could potentially make computers that are smarter than us.  (After all our brain gets built up using DNA, which makes forming the neurons in the brain a matter of "guess and check" for a computer).

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

Just think about the massive bottleneck ;) We would need something like PCI-E 30 1280000X ;)

Anyway OP: It's very interesting to see these results, but meanwhile we have to remember that humans can actually normally only use around 10% of their brain at one time. Which means that this is a measure of brainpower we can't use ;)

Disclaimer: I might be wrong so if anyone would like to object then please do :)

True that is what I hate about these numerical, but still funny, comparisons. When I can do what a computer can do IN MY HEAD, then we'll start talking.

Imagine trying to mine bitcoin with your brain. You instantly win the internets.

I did some research and some people here said that each core of the CPU's used in the "K" supercomputer would be capable of 327 Khash on SHA-256-based coins. So 327x8=2616 Khash per CPU, and there are 82,944 CPUs. So the extremely rough average hashrate of the "K" supercomputer is 216981504 Khash, or roughly 216 GHash (Remember that this is CPU, not GPU mining). Multiply that by 2,400 (how many times more powerful the brain is over the supercomputer) and you get 520.75 Thash/s. So IN THEORY the brain is capable of 520.75Thash/s of bitcoin mining. Assuming that Scrypt coin mining is roughly 10% as fast as SHA-256 mining, the brain would be capable of 52.075 Thash/s of scrypt mining. With that kind of power, using your brain, in theory, you could mine $135,663.96 of bitcoins per day, running on only 20 watts.

Disclaimer: These calculations are EXTREMELY rough, and are not to be taken literally. I am not responsible for that one guy who tries to upload cgminer to his brain which fails and then goes into a coma for the rest of his life.

Calculated using this link.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero || Intel i7-4790k || ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || Mushkin Blackline 4x4gb (16gb) 1600mhz || ADATA SX900 128gb SSD || 4 Random HDD's (1.5TB Total) || CM Storm Scout II || Enermax NAXN 80+ Bronze 650w || Corsair H100i || Windows 7 Home

I did some research and some people here said that each core of the CPU's used in the "K" supercomputer would be capable of 327 Khash on SHA-256-based coins. So 327x8=2616 Khash per CPU, and there are 82,944 CPUs. So the extremely rough average hashrate of the "K" supercomputer is 216981504 Khash, or roughly 216 GHash (Remember that this is CPU, not GPU mining). Multiply that by 2,400 (how many times more powerful the brain is over the supercomputer) and you get 520.75 Thash/s. So IN THEORY the brain is capable of 520.75Thash/s of bitcoin mining. Assuming that Scrypt coin mining is roughly 10% as fast as SHA-256 mining, the brain would be capable of 52.075 Thash/s of scrypt mining. With that kind of power, using your brain, in theory, you could mine $135,663.96 of bitcoins per day, running on only 20 watts.

Disclaimer: These calculations are EXTREMELY rough, and are not to be taken literally. I am not responsible for that one guy who tries to upload cgminer to his brain which fails and then goes into a coma for the rest of his life.

Calculated using this link.

Nice find! If only it was possible....