I’m sure that this has been asked before like a lot but what would you how would you recommend I start programming

Neptune_cj

I would like to start programming but I don’t know how to start I would like to eventually make a game 

Assembly ?

(kidding)

Python was pretty good for me but I know others recommend different things. For game programming, last I recall, C++ is probably where you'll end up, or some other C variant but that might have changed since I last looked at it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What resources would you recommend is there a website or book or something 

3 minutes ago, Neptune_cj said:

What resources would you recommend is there a website or book or something 

Codecademy is pretty good for learning Python: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python

Welcome to the forums!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

7 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Codecademy is pretty good for learning Python: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python

Welcome to the forums!

5 minutes ago, Neptune_cj said:

Thank you

Yes highly agree codecademy, you don't need to pay for 'pro' its just a teacher that can check your code so it doesnt really matter for a few hundred.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

Don't know about you but I started out in java, then learn C++, python, and JavaScript. 

My knowledge of these langauges are...

Java: better than n00b but meh

Python: n00b good

c++: n00b bad

JavaScript: total n00b

Sudo make me a sandwich 

If you're brand new to programming, it really doesn't matter what language you use to start with so to speak. The first task is to understand the basics, which I would argue are:

• How binary and hexadecimal number systems work. At the very least, know hexadecimal
  • What basic data types are
  • What data structures, like arrays, dictionaries, and objects are, and knowing how to use them.
  • What scope is (global, file, local, etc)
  • All of the basic operators. While some are obvious like arithmetic, there are some that aren't so much like bit-wise and logical operations. Assuming of course, the language supports it
  • Program flow control such as if-else-elseif statements and loops. Some languages support something known as exception handling.
  • What a function (or subroutine, method, etc) is, how to define one, and how to use it.
  • What pass by value is vs. pass by reference.

Languages that I know supports all of these (including exception handling) are C#, C++, Java, and Python. I would recommend C# or Python however, because of the ease of setting up the tool chain and jumping right in. Though I would argue C# using VisualStudio would be better because it contains a debugger, which you can use to poke around in your application to see how it works. Since your goal is also to eventually develop a game, C# has an edge as well because that's the language used for logic coding in Unity.

However, start with simple projects. Don't come up with that game you've wanted to do and jump into it.

Edited by Mira Yurizaki
Added more basics

20 hours ago, wasab said:

Don't know about you but I started out in java, then learn C++, python, and JavaScript. 

My knowledge of these langauges are...

Java: better than n00b but meh

Python: n00b good

c++: n00b bad

JavaScript: total n00b

Do I remember right that you study CS?

What is your strategy regarding programming languages? Learning many vs focus on 1-3 languages but learn them well

53 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

What is your strategy regarding programming languages? Learning many vs focus on 1-3 languages but learn them well

Focus on as few languages as possible. As the late Bruce Lee once said "I do not fear the man who practiced a thousand different kicks once. I fear the man who practiced a kick one thousand times."

As long as you understand the basics of one programming language, you can generally jump to another of the same basic paradigm relatively easily. As I worked mostly in procedural languages, jumping around to any other procedural language is easy. But jumping to a programming language that's more functional oriented, like Haskell or Perl, is a bit of an issue for me.

Either way, if you're trying to make this into a career, nobody cares you know 20 languages if you aren't proficient in them.

6 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I am learning these because I will need these languages in my later courses. One is about databases but I also need to design a website so I am learning javascript. the second one is on scripting language so I am learning python, the last is about operating system so learning C, well C++ isn't exactly C but it is an extension of C language so I figure if  I know C++ well enough, I will have unofficially learned C as well. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Assembly is fine.

Also, use C for native development and Lisp (Common Lisp or Racket) for cross-platform development. Trust me.

Write in C.