Need help in choosing between two shortlisted smartphones

Go to solution Solved by Commodus,
12 minutes ago, blue_blood said:

So, I'm a high school student about to pass out (that means about to graduate in my country ? ?). I'm going to buy my first smartphone and have short listed the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 and Nokia 7.1 Plus (to be launched).

Here are my main reasons for considering the phones

Asus:

Mammoth 5000 mAh battery

Dual sim + micro SD support

6GB RAM

Gorilla Glass 6

(All these for a little over 200 usd in my country)

Nokia:

Good build quality

USB-C at this price point

Android One

Snapdragon 710 soc

Fast charging

Better screen (I THINK)

Faster and better fingerprint sensor

So, my main question is: Is Nokia 7.1 plus worth the extra money?

Before closing I would like to point out that my mother has used the Lumia 625 in the past and is currently using Nokia 6 and both are good phones with excellent build quality and an overall good experience.

I'd say go for the Nokia model.  ASUS is alright, but they tend to lay the custom skins on a bit thick, and the Nokia phone has so many things in its favor.  Not the least of which is that you won't risk waiting months for OS updates.

So, I'm a high school student about to pass out (that means about to graduate in my country ? ?). I'm going to buy my first smartphone and have short listed the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 and Nokia 7.1 Plus (to be launched).

Asus:

Mammoth 5000 mAh battery

6GB RAM

Gorilla Glass 6

Nokia:

Good build quality

Android One

Snapdragon 710 soc

Fast charging

Better screen (I THINK)

Before closing I would like to point out that my mother has used the Lumia 625 in the past and is currently using Nokia 6 and both are good phones with excellent build quality and an overall good experience.

ANDROID ONE?!?!?!

You should go with the one with HUGE battery, and 6 gb of ram is perfect (i am living with 3 gb and android pie - runs perfect)

12 minutes ago, blue_blood said:

Asus:

Mammoth 5000 mAh battery

6GB RAM

Gorilla Glass 6

Nokia:

Good build quality

Android One

Snapdragon 710 soc

Fast charging

Better screen (I THINK)

I'd say go for the Nokia model.  ASUS is alright, but they tend to lay the custom skins on a bit thick, and the Nokia phone has so many things in its favor.  Not the least of which is that you won't risk waiting months for OS updates.

Just now, Commodus said:

but what android tho. bc i havent heard about ANDROID ONE

1 minute ago, Airpewdiepie said:

ANDROID ONE?!?!?!

You should go with the one with HUGE battery, and 6 gb of ram is perfect (i am living with 3 gb and android pie - runs perfect)

Android One is an advantage -- it means no unnecessary bloat, or wondering just when you'll get an OS update.  It's basically a program where vendors adhere to a largely stock version of the Android UI.

Just now, Commodus said:

Android One is an advantage -- it means no unnecessary bloat, or wondering just when you'll get an OS update.

then say stock android, nokia has it, but you can always unlock the bootloader and install a custom os, which has many benefits over stock

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

this one runs stock android

2 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

then say stock android, nokia has it, but you can always unlock the bootloader and install a custom os, which has many benefits over stock

i.m not really into that sort of thing but the asus phone does look very appealing right now but I also don't want to upgrade my phone after a year.

nokia has a huge advantage here with type c and snapdragon 710 soc

Just now, blue_blood said:

i.m not really into that sort of thing but the asus phone does look very appealing right now but I also don't want to upgrade my phone after a year.

nokia has a huge advantage here with type c and snapdragon 710 soc

you can live with micro usb, theres no huge disadvantage, and that soc isnt a lot better than the other phones one

6 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

you can live with micro usb, theres no huge disadvantage, and that soc isnt a lot better than the other phones one

alright, thanks a lot =D 

12 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

thanks for the help!

16 minutes ago, Commodus said:

thanks for the help!

Specs aside, on one hand you have Asus which likes to pack a lot of features on their phones (hence the bloated software reputation). On the other hand you have Nokia which is very minimalist and borderline boring. I personally like Nokia's approach more. I like boring. I like the OS to be out of the way. Apps do most of the work anyway.