Can an older laptop be limited to 2GB RAM?

Heya! I have a Toshiba laptop from 2007. Still works great almost 12 years later, no jokes :) 

The only issue is the RAM -- it's running Windows 7 64-bit and frankly 2GB is now pathetic (2 tabs in Chrome + Excel + VLC, and I'm over 90% util lol). Plus I can tell it's utilizing virtual memory a ton. It came with 1 GB (two sticks x 512 MB) which I swapped to 2 GB (2 x 1GB) in 2011.

The original spec sheet said:

1GB (2 x 512 MB) DDR2 PC2-5300 (5-5-5-15) Maximum RAM: 2GB

Is there something hardware-side that restricts it to 2 gigs, or is that bogus and I can pop it to 4 or more? I know 32-bit can do up to 4GB and 64-bit can do up to 128 GB, but is there anything hardware-wise holding it back?

Core i5 750 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 270X | Intel 520 SSD | ASUS 24" 1920x1080

quite a few older IMCs are limited to 2GB of RAM

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

depends on the cpu in several ways:

- the maximum amount of ram the cpu will support (for example, 4GB)

- the maximum amount of ram per DIMM the cpu will support (for example, 1GB DIMMs)

- the maximum amount of ram per channel the cpu will support (for example, 2GB)

and as a result, the mobo could form a limiting factor in this regard.

and if your laptop is of the age where there was still a north bridge in the equasion.. it's all down to the motherboard and chipset, which is in the laptop OEM's control.

basicly, if they say 2GB max, you should consider 2GB max.

Yes. chipsets such as Intel GM965 were known to only state they supported 2GB. Sometimes you'd get lucky and it'd take 3GB despite not officially supporting it. My personal laptop supported 3GB but would BSOD with 4GB.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

DDR2 limits you. 4GB DDR2 SODIMMs are becoming hard to find, and their price shows it. Your system may not even be able to accept 4GB SODIMMs.

2GB SODIMMs are still cheap and easy to get, so 4GB total is doable if your board actually supports it. Update your BIOS and give it a shot.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Well, it would have helped to list the model of your Toshiba laptop - we could have checked the specifications to determine the chipset and processor and what other parts may cause limitations.

Mainly the chipset could limit you to 2 GB, the processor may limit you...

Maybe when the laptop was made and they validated memory sticks for it, they could only get 2 GB sticks in dual rank, double sided formats (lots of memory chips on stick) which may not be supported by the memory controller.

Maybe since then they managed to make bigger sized memory chips and you can now get 2 GB sticks that would work with that motherboard.

14 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Yes. chipsets such as Intel GM965 were known to only state they supported 2GB. Sometimes you'd get lucky and it'd take 3GB despite not officially supporting it. My personal laptop supported 3GB but would BSOD with 4GB.

Thanks all for the info! I opened up Speccy and the motherboard tab does in fact say "Chipset Model: GM965" so that answers that.

Core i5 750 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 270X | Intel 520 SSD | ASUS 24" 1920x1080

In the case of HP laptops with that chipset only one of the RAM slots had a limit so you could put a 4GB stick in the unlimited slot and a 1GB stick in the limited slot giving you 5GB. It's not guaranteed but most laptops from that era even though they were limited to 2GB actually supported at least 3GB and sometimes more.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700k, ASUS Z170-PRO, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR4 (3200 MHz), ASUS 1070 DUAL OC, Corsair Spec-Alpha, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Corsair CX Series CX750M, LG 34UM88C-P, Corsair H100i v2, Corsair K55 RGB, Windows 10 Education

Desktop 2: Intel Core i7-4790k, Lenovo Sharkbay, Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB DDR3 (2133MHz), Gigabyte 1650 OC Low Profile, Lenovo M93 SFF, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Silverstone TX700

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCEH1L8E, Intel Core i7-2720QM, Sony MBX-247 DA0HK1MB6E0 (REV:E), Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR3L (2133 MHz), Western Digital Blue SSD (500GB), Panasonic E233037 (CPU Fan), Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home

Other Laptop: HP G7010EA, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, Crucial 5GB (4+1) DDR2 (667MHz), Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (500GB), Windows 10 Home