Does anyone still play DayZ?

Big Boi Lime

So recently I've heard DayZ has had a big update that has kind of flipped it on its head? making the game partially worse than before and removing some features, but how active is the community on this game anymore? I remember the big hype and always wanting to play it, then I finally got my PC, bought the game, and it seemed empty, and this was about a year or 2 ago, I keep having an urge to give it a go but dunno if its worth it, especially given I don't have anyone to play it with as none of my friends play it.

My main complaints are still true:

- Unless custom server, starting off will inetivably result in death due to dehydration and hunger. Not enough supplies in spawn areas.

- Servers with free slots are always in night mode, which is unplayable

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

My main complaints are still true:

- Unless custom server, starting off will inetivably result in death due to dehydration and hunger. Not enough supplies in spawn areas.

- Servers with free slots are always in night mode, which is unplayable

That's always been a major issue for me as well, given I can only really play solo which seems to make the game 10 times harder and kills my drive to play it within 10-15 minutes 

Just now, Limeykins said:

That's always been a major issue for me as well, given I can only really play solo which seems to make the game 10 times harder and kills my drive to play it within 10-15 minutes 

Yep. Same here. Even if you don't play solo, you're on your own until you find your friend, which can take long enough to die again and cause a respawn.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Yep. Same here. Even if you don't play solo, you're on your own until you find your friend, which can take long enough to die again and cause a respawn.

the one friend i did play with once or twice found a server where you could pick a general area to respawn but was always a pain in the ass after that running around a city with 3 zombies chasing either one of you with a lack of weapons or meds

Just now, NelizMastr said:

True for me. I used to love watching Dayz and a few years ago I got it finally with my friend - we got the standalone though and not Arma 2 mod. We couldn't find each other because of the lack of a map at the start and then annoying zombies plus dehydration and starvation. The lack of colour was also upsetting as it made some things harder to see.

The DayZ Standalone has always been a joke compared to the Mod, and that hasn‘t changed.

It lacks basic features of the Mod and feels even clunkier and more unresponsive. Gimmicks have been favored over actual features, and now it‘s an incomplete mess of a game.

I‘m not sure how the Mod does these days in terms of player count, but if you can find even just a somewhat regularly populated Mod server, I‘d recommend that over the Standalone.

10 hours ago, Big Boi Lime said:

So recently I've heard DayZ has had a big update that has kind of flipped it on its head? making the game partially worse than before and removing some features, but how active is the community on this game anymore? I remember the big hype and always wanting to play it, then I finally got my PC, bought the game, and it seemed empty, and this was about a year or 2 ago, I keep having an urge to give it a go but dunno if its worth it, especially given I don't have anyone to play it with as none of my friends play it.

Yes it's had a big update, they call it 1.0, but that's seriously optimistic due to several reason. Definitely performs better than .62 and older. But a lot of content is missing (mainly weapon variety and some mechanics) I play solo, but run into a lot of people. Sometimes it goes good, sometimes it goes poorly. Definitely worth a go, I recommend using the DayZ SA launcher from dayzsalauncher.com as it automatically downloads mods for the specific server you're joining. A couple have added winter into the mix, and a multitude in f other mods, some subtle some to make it less about surviving. If you already own it why not, I honestly wouldn't recommend buying it in it's current state though.