Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What psu do i need?

simson

Hello there. I know very little about PC building and i was wondering if i could Get some help

what power supply should i Get for:

Gtx 1080 ti

intel core i7-8700

2x8gb ddr4 ram

24 inch monitor, a mouse and a keyboard

Maybe  i want to overclock the cpu, not sure 

Appreciate all help

Fine at between PSU 600Watt - 800Watt.

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)

"Need" and "Should get" and "want" are very different things in PSUs.

That rig will probably never pull more than 450W no matter what you do. So a 500W supply is probably what you "need"

My normal rule is: assume I will go SLI later, then add in a bunch of USB and SATA stuff. Then add a 25% margin for fun.

Based on that, I would be thinking in the 800W range and upward.

After that you have to add in the amount of ripple you are happy with, then the 80+ rating you want. Which has a knock on effect on thermals and fan noise.

Then consider that any PSU you buy today, will probably be going strong in 10 years. Which for a lot of us is 3 or maybe 4 builds. Spreading the cost over so long makes PSUs a lot cheaper than the MSRP seems. 

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

Between a 2500-2700w uranium rated unit, just to be safe. Gotta power those 4 fans dude, those pull a lot.

No, seriously, a 550-600w quality unit is more than enough, even if you plan to overclock later. SLI isn't really a thing anymore, parts are more and more efficient every year so there really isn't any reason to buy a PSU over 600-700w.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

10 hours ago, rares495 said:

No, seriously, a 550-600w quality unit is more than enough, even if you plan to overclock later. SLI isn't really a thing anymore, parts are more and more efficient every year so there really isn't any reason to buy a PSU over 600-700w.

SLi isn't a thing?    Google "NVLink"

Parts are more efficient?     Google "9900K"

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE

11 hours ago, simson said:

Hello there. I know very little about PC building and i was wondering if i could Get some help

Gtx 1080 ti

intel core i7-8700

2x8gb ddr4 ram

Appreciate all help

You can't overclock a locked CPU. 

Anyway, you'll be fine with a Corsair RMX 2018 550W, currently on sale for $75. 

9 hours ago, WihGlah said:

Ok bud. Let me know when you add two turing cards in your system.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

On 12/28/2018 at 12:54 PM, WihGlah said:

Based on that, I would be thinking in the 800W range and upward.

Wait, what?!
Why?!
Where did you get your shit.

YOu clearly have no idea about PC Power Consumption...

800W is just one thing: A waste of money.

What one really needs is a high quality PSU. Not some cheap "800W" shit.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:42 PM, simson said:

Gtx 1080 ti

intel core i7-8700

2x8gb ddr4 ram

Appreciate all help

Good quality 550W. Is it the MSI 1080ti?? Because that one has issues with many PSU and switches it off.

Recommended PSU: be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Whisper M, Cougar GX-F

All in 550W. 650W NOT for the Straight Power 11...

14 hours ago, WihGlah said:

Doesn't change the fact that its still not a good option.
And "on the other side", we don't have 250W CPUs

And 7nm products are coming earlier next year. 

So yeah, things get more efficient, just not for one manufacturer...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Wait, what?!
Why?!
Where did you get your shit.

YOu clearly have no idea about PC Power Consumption...

800W is just one thing: A waste of money.

What one really needs is a high quality PSU. Not some cheap "800W" shit.

Good quality 550W. Is it the MSI 1080ti?? Because that one has issues with many PSU and switches it off.

Recommended PSU: be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Whisper M, Cougar GX-F

All in 550W. 650W NOT for the Straight Power 11...

Doesn't change the fact that its still not a good option.
And "on the other side", we don't have 250W CPUs

And 7nm products are coming earlier next year. 

So yeah, things get more efficient, just not for one manufacturer...

All of that is an opinion. You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

17 minutes ago, WihGlah said:

All of that is an opinion. You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Facts are an i7-3930K runs fine with a 400W PSU as it consumes only 350W,  MEASURED.

Not believed.

SO there really ain't no reason to waste money and go total overwatt...

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Facts are an i7-3930K runs fine with a 400W PSU as it consumes only 350W,  MEASURED.

Not believed.

That is a fact. Well done

How you deal with that fact is an opinion.  

"SO there really ain't no reason to waste money and go total overwatt... "

That is an opinion. And my opinion is that there is a reason, and it isn't a waste. I don't expect to change your mind about this, but equally you won't change mine. Deal with it.

2 hours ago, WihGlah said:

That is a fact. Well done

How you deal with that fact is an opinion.  

"SO there really ain't no reason to waste money and go total overwatt... "

That is an opinion. And my opinion is that there is a reason, and it isn't a waste. I don't expect to change your mind about this, but equally you won't change mine. Deal with it.

It's fact that a higher wattage PSU is less efficient at typical loads, so it's costing you money to use it. Not to mention the money spent to buy it in the first place over a 550-600w unit.

OuterVision would recommend a 510 watt with 8 hour per day usage and not any time with running high processing tasks which is not likely. They would say that this build should consume around 460 watts, although try to get one that is a little bit better because overtime PSUs degrade and loose some of their ability to provide certain watt ratings as they were able to do so before. Also, getting a higher wattage model would mean better expectations for the unit in terms of longevity and overclocking possibilities. I will link both a power supply for this system which should be able to power your computer and some accessories, as well as a result when I inputted in your hardware configuration to OuterVision's PSU calculator.

link to the result from OuterVision's PSU calculator: https://outervision.com/b/uL9bjS

link to a power supply which should work in terms of wattage with your configuration of hardware:   https://pcpartpicker.com/product/trMwrH/apevia-680w-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-atx-wr680w

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

tenor.gif

11 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

They would say that this build should consume around 460 watts, although try to get one that is a little bit better because overtime PSUs degrade and loose some of their ability to provide certain watt ratings as they were able to do so before. 

Any PSU from any decent brand is rated to run at 100% load, 24/7, at their max rated temperature for the entirety of their warranty. Do you seriously think that a PSU is only able to output it's wattage rating, just barely, and only for a short period of time?

12 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Also, getting a higher wattage model would mean better excitability and overclocking possibilities

No. I have no idea what "excitability" is supposed to mean, however a higher wattage PSU will not aid in overclocking. A good PSU can help, as it will provide a cleaner output. 

14 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

link to a power supply which should work in terms of wattage with your configuration of hardware:   https://pcpartpicker.com/product/trMwrH/apevia-680w-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-atx-wr680w

If you have no idea about anything regarding PSUs, I recommend not suggesting PSUs for others. Especially not fire hazards. 

:)

18 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

OuterVision would recommend a 510 watt with 8 hour per day usage and not any time with running high processing tasks which is not likely. They would say that this build should consume around 460 watts, although try to get one that is a little bit better because overtime PSUs degrade and loose some of their ability to provide certain watt ratings as they were able to do so before. Also, getting a higher wattage model would mean better excitability and overclocking possibilities. I will link both a power supply for this system which should be able to power your computer and some accessories, as well as a result when I inputted in your hardware configuration to OuterVision's PSU calculator.

link to the result from OuterVision's PSU calculator: https://outervision.com/b/uL9bjS

This has to be a troll, right? Every word of what you just said was wrong.

7 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Considering the amount of BS that YouTube channels like Jayztwocents, Science Studio, Bitwit etc spew out, I wouldn't be too surprised if it's actually meant to be serious. It sounds like the sort of BS they could come up with. 

:)

35 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

OuterVision would recommend a 510 watt with 8 hour per day usage and not any time with running high processing tasks which is not likely. They would say that this build should consume around 460 watts, although try to get one that is a little bit better because overtime PSUs degrade and loose some of their ability to provide certain watt ratings as they were able to do so before. Also, getting a higher wattage model would mean better expectations for the unit in terms of longevity and overclocking possibilities. I will link both a power supply for this system which should be able to power your computer and some accessories, as well as a result when I inputted in your hardware configuration to OuterVision's PSU calculator.

That's sooooooooooo wrong in so many levels

18 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

not really

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Considering the amount of BS that YouTube channels like Jayztwocents, Science Studio, Bitwit etc spew out, I wouldn't be too surprised if it's actually meant to be serious. It sounds like the sort of BS they could come up with. 

don't forget tech deals

25 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Any PSU from any decent brand is rated to run at 100% load, 24/7, at their max rated temperature for the entirety of their warranty. Do you seriously think that a PSU is only able to output it's wattage rating, just barely, and only for a short period of time?

No, although after the warranty expires or if you want to keep your system around longer through maybe some hardware upgrade you could see some issues when it comes to the amount of wattage which it is able to deliver as with use the electrical components within the power supply are known to degrade with usage time especially at high loads where the unit could be subject to greater stress due to factors such as heat.

a higher wattage PSU will not aid in overclocking. A good PSU can help, as it will provide a cleaner output

Correct, a higher wattage PSU will not directly help you in overclocking a system although it opens more possibilities which you can achieve in your overclocking. A better PSU especially one with protection features such as active PFC will protect your components from damage and deliver better output for your components.

If you have no idea about anything regarding PSUs, I recommend not suggesting PSUs for others. Especially not fire hazards. 

Fires in PSUs are not very likely and there are many standards which ensure that your PSU is not instantly going to go into flames after using it for a few minutes. Power supplies can sometimes fail (rarely) for manufacturer defaults or problems with the load such as overloading the PSU and the unit not being able to turn itself off to protect your hardware and the unit. I don't really think that this power supply is a fire hazard. It seems to be have the elements which you would look for in a good unit such as having active PFC protection and being semi-modular. Not to mention that this has been used for many other successful builds from other PC makers on PCPartsPicker which I will include links to. If units actually were catching on fire from a certain manufacturer then they would be put out of business and be forced to recall the units. I have many cheaper units which are not from the brand names and I have never had any issues with them for many years. Although, depending on your build you may want to go with the name brands just for the extra assurance that your components are really safe from damages, especially if you are going to subject your PC to bad electrical voltage from the mains.

links to other systems which use PSU in their builds:     

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/FvYTwP

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cRRJ7P

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

48 minutes ago, rares495 said:

It's fact that a higher wattage PSU is less efficient at typical loads, so it's costing you money to use it. Not to mention the money spent to buy it in the first place over a 550-600w unit.

That's actually completely wrong . Sry - not entitled to you own facts

3 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

A better PSU especially one with protection features such as active PFC will protect your components from damage and deliver better output for your components.

Fires in PSUs are not very likely and there are many standards which ensure that your PSU is not instantly going to go into flames after using it for a few minutes. Power supplies can sometimes fail (rarely) for manufacturer defaults or problems with the load such as overloading the PSU and the unit not being able to turn itself off to protect your hardware and the unit. I don't really think that this power supply is a fire hazard. It seems to be have the elements which you would look for in a good unit such as having active PFC protection and being semi-modular. Not to mention that this has been used for many other successful builds from other PC makers on PCPartsPicker. If units actually were catching on fire from a certain manufacturer then they would be put out of business and be forced to recall the units. I have many cheaper units which are not from the brand names and I have never had any issues with them for many years. Although, depending on your build you may want to go with the name brands just for the extra assurance that your components are really safe from damages, especially if you are going to subject your PC to bad electrical voltage from the mains.

Of course not!!! It doesn't work like that!

where did you hear that or how do you dare to invent so much bs?

2 minutes ago, WihGlah said:

here we go again

54 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

especially one with protection features such as active PFC will protect your components from damage and deliver better output for your components.

54 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I don't really think that this power supply is a fire hazard. It seems to be have the elements which you would look for in a good unit such as having active PFC protection and being semi-modular.

Please, please explain to us in your own words, how does active PFC protect your components from damage and deliver better output for your components.

You know what's funny? The power supply you recommended doesn't have any kind of PFC... Nevermind the fact PFC has nothing to do with protection or output quality.

I have to pity the forum moderator sighing to themselves as they see another thread getting derailed, but I think it's better to fight misinformation when it appears, than let BS like that stay uncontested. If nobody does anything, some poor soul might actually buy that Apevia for themselves.

1 hour ago, WihGlah said:

Please explain how that is wrong.

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

OuterVision would recommend a 510 watt with 8 hour per day usage and not any time with running high processing tasks which is not likely.

Outervision is a business that makes money with recommending PSU. Do you really think they would recommend a 400W for wich they'd get 10 cent or so, when they can recommend a 600W and make 1€?

SRYSLY?

Not actual amount, just an example...

They would say that this build should consume around 460 watts,

They also say that my i7/3930K with SSD, 7200RPM HDD and an RX480 OC (Power Color Red Devil) would be like 450W or so and recommend a 600W PSU.

In reality it works fine with a 400W and consumes around 350W. So that's that...

although try to get one that is a little bit better because overtime PSUs degrade and loose some of their ability to provide certain watt ratings as they were able to do so before.

Now that's some horse shit some person came up with because in Capacitor Datasheet is the Information "Lifetime within +/- 25% of rated values". And they conclude that PSU "degrade and loose wattage". But there is NO EVIDENCE FOR THIS CLAIM!

EVERY Test of older shit does show that the PSU  works as intended, even 10 years later - or dies.

There is nothing that has proven the "loss of capacitiy" to my knowledge. If you have PROOF, present it.

Otherwise stop with this nonsense.

Here my Proof:
https://www.computerbase.de/2013-11/alte-netzteile-test/

And there are some 10 year revisits on HardOCP...

Also, getting a higher wattage model would mean better expectations for the unit in terms of longevity and overclocking possibilities.

No, better quality would.

Again, there is no proof for this claim...

And there are many failure modes, for example the 5V Standby Rail can fail - and that is about the same as all other models in a series.

And to make it worse: Sometimes a 550 and 650W are the same on the secondary side, while the only real differences are on the primary side - wich means that there really is no advantage of the 650W in a 230VAC Country.

I will link both a power supply for this system which should be able to power your computer and some accessories, as well as a result when I inputted in your hardware configuration to OuterVision's PSU calculator.

Irrelevant, see above.

As they grossly overestimate the power consumption and have a financial incentive to do so. Real Components consume far less.

And that Apevia PSU is one of the worse ones...

Apevia isn't really known for particularly good PSU...

No

Yes. I trust Bitfenix more than you:

And I have proof, you do not:

DSC_4247Andere.th.jpg

although after the warranty expires or if you want to keep your system around longer through maybe some hardware upgrade you could see some issues when it comes to the amount of wattage which it is able to deliver as with use the electrical components within the power supply are known to degrade with usage time especially at high loads where the unit could be subject to greater stress due to factors such as heat.

No, you're wrong as there is no evidence for the "PSU degrate over time" claim from some people.

And if you know a bit about electronics and how that stuff works, it makes NO SENSE either.

Because a MOSFET doesn't loose capacitiy, it dies.

Because there is nothing else that can loose capacity - and if a Condenser looses capacity, its dying and might bulge soon. So no, there is no "PSU Degrading". The link I've posted above proves that that is nonsense.

Correct, a higher wattage PSU will not directly help you in overclocking a system although it opens more possibilities which you can achieve in your overclocking.

No, you're wrong.

You need better voltages, lower ripple. A higher Wattage does not neccessarily deliver that.

For example Bitfenix Whisper M: All have the same capacitors on the secondary. There is no difference here. So no.

A better PSU especially one with protection features such as active PFC will protect your components from damage and deliver better output for your components.

There are no PSU without active PFC these days. And that has nothing to do with "protecting components" at all.

For that you need multi rail with low set OCP - wich is not possible these days thanks to crappy Graphics cards...

Fires in PSUs are not very likely and there are many standards which ensure that your PSU is not instantly going to go into flames after using it for a few minutes.

Again, depends on the Failure Mode and what goes wrong and how. With the right failure, a fire is very likely.

Or some foreign objects inside - like bugs for example.

Power supplies can sometimes fail (rarely) for manufacturer defaults or problems with the load such as overloading the PSU and the unit not being able to turn itself off to protect your hardware and the unit. I don't really think that this power supply is a fire hazard.

It depends.

And the one YOU recommended really isn't good.

All the things you claim to know are wrong or make no sense.

Because active PFC has nothing to do with the rest of the PSU, its just a boost circuit that "only" does boost the mains voltage to around 400V to increase the Power Factor. That's why it is called power factor correction. And that's its only job...

It seems to be have the elements which you would look for in a good unit such as having active PFC protection and being semi-modular.

WTF?!
Sorry, but that's irrelevant.

Good PSU aren't good because they have active PFC or are semi modular. That's "ancient knowledge" from like 15 years ago. Things change and passive PFC became more expensive, active cheap. And with that, there are cheap crap PSU with active PFC. 

And what the heck is "active PFC Protection". That makes no sense.

Not to mention that this has been used for many other successful builds from other PC makers on PCPartsPicker which I will include links to.

Irrelevant, as PC Hardware runs very well even with power that kills it. So that ain't no proof.

Its the same with garbage Motor Oil. It also runs well in the Motor - until it doesn't. And it increases wear as well - same with crappy PSU in PC. They don't kill things instantly, it takes time...

But hey, who would want to use their CPU/Motherboard for 5 Years or more. Who would want to use their GPU for more than a year or two...

If units actually were catching on fire from a certain manufacturer then they would be put out of business and be forced to recall the units.

Not necessarily, as there are a ton of "Crapfacturers" out there that don't ever do decent stuff...

That shit doesn't seem to die at all...

I have many cheaper units which are not from the brand names and I have never had any issues with them for many years.

Anecdotes don't count.

Especially from an unknown person like YOU.

How should we know that you aren't a representitive of Apevia or working at the distributor and making money by selling that stuff?!

I've seen Super Flower people recommending Super Flower as normal users...

After a while they got caught and banned though. but why shouldn't you also be one of those people??

Although, depending on your build you may want to go with the name brands just for the extra assurance that your components are really safe from damages, especially if you are going to subject your PC to bad electrical voltage from the mains.

Quality units != "Name Brands". The Brand is irrelevant as there are some "Name Brands" that sell pretty bad units. And "No Name" Brands like Xilence that sell some decent stuff...

Especially since there is no corelation between the brand recognition and quality of products.

For example Seasonic S12II and M12II with up to 620W are pretty bad units although from a "named Brand". Or most of the EVGA Bronze lineup as well...

links to other systems which use PSU in their builds:     

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/FvYTwP

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cRRJ7P

And what does that tell us?!
That it don't immediately explode. Yeah, great.

And in a year or two, everything they had is gone because they didn't want a good PSU...

Its like people still saving money on Motor Oil and wondering why their car dies after a while with wear marks on the camshaft...