Tips for buying preowned GPUs

TKovich

Im looking into buying a used card, hopefully a 1080 ti because there are loads on eBay for 500-600 dollars, which is in my price range. I am looking for tips on what to keep in mind when looking at used cards so I know I am getting a good deal and a working card. 

Listings that don't use stock photos are the first ones I look for

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, TKovich said:

Im looking into buying a used card, hopefully a 1080 ti because there are loads on eBay for 500-600 dollars, which is in my price range. I am looking for tips on what to keep in mind when looking at used cards so I know I am getting a good deal and a working card. 

Many are from cripty mining, some are not even working ( like if you think you can get a good 1080 ti at 300$ its dreaming in color...)

500$ u might get a good one, might get a crypto one, its very risky IMO

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

500$ u might get a good one, might get a crypto one, its very risky IMO

People have been testing crypto cards since the crash, they're usually perfectly fine. The fans are loud tho.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

• Mining on a card doesn't really do much.
  • Be patient. Look at the auction section (and make sure to read the descriptions)
  • Generally, avoid cards shipped from China. Slow shipping and more likely scams. Local is often best because of lower shipping costs.
  • Look on multiple markets (Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook's marketplace, etc.)
  • If you buy from eBay, check if the seller is "eBay money back guarantee" insured. Not really necessary, but it helps a ton if you end up scammed.
  • If you buy from Craigslist / Facebook, you can try to do a bit of a background search to ensure safety (meet in a public place if possible).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

5 minutes ago, Imbellis said:
  • Mining on a card doesn't really do much.
  • Be patient. Look at the auction section (and make sure to read the descriptions)
  • Generally, avoid cards shipped from China. Slow shipping and more likely scams. Local is often best because of lower shipping costs.
  • Look on multiple markets (Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook's marketplace, etc.)
  • If you buy from eBay, check if the seller is "eBay money back guarantee" insured. Not really necessary, but it helps a ton if you end up scammed.
  • If you buy from Craigslist / Facebook, you can try to do a bit of a background search to ensure safety (meet in a public place if possible).

mining on card = 100% usage 24/7

That means card is being used to the max all the time for years. think about it

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Consider something like /r/hardwareswap as well. 1080ti's range from ~$520-650 over there depending on the model.

Reputable sellers, or looking for something that's not too good to be true. Know what you're looking at before you commit to the purchase, model numbers can greatly help, as often times board partners will have multiple SKU's that vary slightly.
There's a certain level of risk involved, you don't know what you're getting until you have it. Paypal provides buyer protection against this if you use goods and services.

I just picked up an FTW3 Hybrid this morning, and will be listing my SC2 eventually, all over on hardwareswap.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

1 minute ago, Semper said:

Consider something like /r/hardwareswap as well. 1080ti's range from ~$520-650 over there depending on the model.

Reputable sellers, or looking for something that's not too good to be true. Know what you're looking at before you commit to the purchase, model numbers can greatly help, as often times board partners will have multiple SKU's that vary slightly.
There's a certain level of risk involved, you don't know what you're getting until you have it. Paypal provides buyer protection against this if you use goods and services.

I just picked up an FTW3 Hybrid this morning, and will be listing my SC2 eventually, all over on hardwareswap.

I love my SC2, have you noticed a significant advantage of the FTW3 over the SC2? My case could not fit a FTW3 due to my front moutned 280mm rad. 

To OP: I'm not saying to just buy any 1080ti, but generally EVGA is the safest to go with. They have a 3 year warranty on their cards and the 1080ti was released in 2017 I believe? It also goes by manufactured date, not initial release date. Their warranty does cover used/secondhand cards as well if you have it registered to yourself. I believe even when RMA'ing it lists that as an option. 

With the discontinuation of the 1080ti, who knows how that will be handled now.

7 minutes ago, DVA said:

I love my SC2, have you noticed a significant advantage of the FTW3 over the SC2? My case could not fit a FTW3 due to my front moutned 280mm rad. 

To OP: I'm not saying to just buy any 1080ti, but generally EVGA is the safest to go with. They have a 3 year warranty on their cards and the 1080ti was released in 2017 I believe? It also goes by manufactured date, not initial release date. Their warranty does cover used/secondhand cards as well if you have it registered to yourself. I believe even when RMA'ing it lists that as an option. 

With the discontinuation of the 1080ti, who knows how that will be handled now.

I don't have it in-hand yet. I paid for it this morning, I guess would be the better way to have phrased that.

The difference between the two is negligible at best, a few MHZ faster base/boost clock for the Hybrid. Outright, there's no justification for one to exist over the other in terms of performance. I picked up the FTW3 as I'll be adding an EK block to it, something you can't do with the iCX SC2 because of that async header on the board (without voiding the warranty, anyway). It was just a situation of circumstance; my new rig has poor airflow for the GPU to pick up (largely because of the way I set my pump and res up), and as a result my GPU temps increased fairly drastically. To keep the card under 80c I was having to push my fans up to about 85%. Hardwareswap had a new listing for an FTW3H, at a fair price, so that's what I went with.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

22 minutes ago, Semper said:

/r/

23 minutes ago, Semper said:

Reputable seller

pick one

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

pick one

Can literally have both.

7 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's an unproven myth.  What's more likely to kill a card from mining is improper cooling.

It's not a myth mining is using the card to the max just like if you play a game and you unlock the FPS your card will be at 100% usage.

Now in my experience cards tend to live for like 5-10 years depending on many factors. I have own many gpus over 20+ years and this is my experience. Keep in mind I am talking about 5-10 years of lifetime for a gpu before it die, and that is using the gpu only when you game, only when you are on your computer, you know ? Not 100% usage 24/24.

Think about it is all I am saying, I personnally would not recommand buying a gpu knowing it's been used for mining for 2-3+ years 

right now i have 300$ offer on gtx 1080 mini zotac it has 14 days payback and 90 days guarantee or warranty  i don't know exactly can u help me ? is it a good deal ? should i buy second hand 1080 ? 

11 hours ago, gbergeron said:

It's not a myth mining is using the card to the max

Miners reduce card power to like 70% to increase efficiency. 100% power or even overclocking increase the power draw too much to actually make money off mining. 

Primary PC:

19 hours ago, gbergeron said:

19 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's an unproven myth.  What's more likely to kill a card from mining is improper cooling.

11 hours ago, gbergeron said:

It's not a myth mining is using the card to the max just like if you play a game and you unlock the FPS your card will be at 100% usage.

Now in my experience cards tend to live for like 5-10 years depending on many factors. I have own many gpus over 20+ years and this is my experience. Keep in mind I am talking about 5-10 years of lifetime for a gpu before it die, and that is using the gpu only when you game, only when you are on your computer, you know ? Not 100% usage 24/24.

Think about it is all I am saying, I personnally would not recommand buying a gpu knowing it's been used for mining for 2-3+ years 

8 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Can you prove it has degraded the card at a higher rate, though?  Because you haven't done that.

Firstly, the big "mining boom" started about a year and a half ago and ended in what, march, april? Lasted about 6 month when it was in the spotlight and all news-feeds and everybody and his cousin tried to get on the money-train before the market plummeted.

So the vast majority of the cards that sells now isn't mining cards and those that are mining cards have been used for two to six month. Mostly isn't 1080/1080 Ti as the 1060/1070/1070 Ti was the sweet spot in hash rate per dollar per card and running cost. So "the mining cards" have lived most of it lives on its box instead of been used as a mining card.

Second, the most mining cards or cards that are used for folding/computing 24/7 are undervolted so that you have the sweet spot on power-consumption and output of result. Often you can get 40% reduced power draw for a 15-20% less output of results. There are big money in reducing the power draw of a card, 24/7 use or not.  So these cards are often used in a fixed environment with fans running at 70% or so, reduced power draw under fixed loads and with controlled room temp. This is a proven method for all mechanics, engines or fans and so on, that this gives the least wear and is the best environment to be used in. These cards have the least wear and tear on them and are safe to buy. If you are having a businesses you take care of what is making you money, you don't let the card run hot, get full of dust, draw more power then necessary , output more heat than necessary so that you don't have to spend more money on cooling and A/C and so on.It's simple math, maximize your profit and minimize your costs. 

Third, the home users that dreamed of a quick "get rich"-scheme and that didn't know what they where doing or how to make the most of your hardware have sold of for a long time ago. Those cards that finds it way out on the market are either well maintained cards or cards that have hardly ever been used (for mining)

What to look for is, non stock images of what they are selling, if they claim that they are selling the card "because they are not gaming anymore", they bought a card or two and "the never used them" and so on. Those are the bullshitters and scammers. You don't go out and buy a GPU for 400+ dollars new if you don't intend use it for gaming and what not. That kind of users is the ones that buy 1050/1060-cards.

Those who claim that, they are are "wanna-be-miners" that don't own up tho what they have been using it for and have been running the card full tilt under to hot conditions, cases full of dust and so on...

There are many scammers out there, but they are not the real miners or real gamers. 

12 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Can you prove it has degraded the card at a higher rate, though?  Because you haven't done that.

I am not saying it degrades the card. Are you trolling ?

What is the best a car with 100 km or a car with 100 000 km ?

How long can a car last ? Mostly around 300 000km for most of them. Now think about your car being used 24/24

This 300 000km will be reached quickly.

Same for mining cards. They have a lifetime. Cards don't live forever.

Its not very hard to understand plz stop trolling thanks

3 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Firstly, the big "mining boom" started about a year and a half ago and ended in what, march, april? Lasted about 6 month when it was in the spotlight and all news-feeds and everybody and his cousin tried to get on the money-train before the market plummeted.

So the vast majority of the cards that sells now isn't mining cards and those that are mining cards have been used for two to six month. Mostly isn't 1080/1080 Ti as the 1060/1070/1070 Ti was the sweet spot in hash rate per dollar per card and running cost. So "the mining cards" have lived most of it lives on its box instead of been used as a mining card.

Second, the most mining cards or cards that are used for folding/computing 24/7 are undervolted so that you have the sweet spot on power-consumption and output of result. Often you can get 40% reduced power draw for a 15-20% less output of results. There are big money in reducing the power draw of a card, 24/7 use or not.  So these cards are often used in a fixed environment with fans running at 70% or so, reduced power draw under fixed loads and with controlled room temp. This is a proven method for all mechanics, engines or fans and so on, that this gives the least wear and is the best environment to be used in. These cards have the least wear and tear on them and are safe to buy. If you are having a businesses you take care of what is making you money, you don't let the card run hot, get full of dust, draw more power then necessary , output more heat than necessary so that you don't have to spend more money on cooling and A/C and so on.It's simple math, maximize your profit and minimize your costs. 

Third, the home users that dreamed of a quick "get rich"-scheme and that didn't know what they where doing or how to make the most of your hardware have sold of for a long time ago. Those cards that finds it way out on the market are either well maintained cards or cards that have hardly ever been used (for mining)

What to look for is, non stock images of what they are selling, if they claim that they are selling the card "because they are not gaming anymore", they bought a card or two and "the never used them" and so on. Those are the bullshitters and scammers. You don't go out and buy a GPU for 400+ dollars new if you don't intend use it for gaming and what not. That kind of users is the ones that buy 1050/1060-cards.

Those who claim that, they are are "wanna-be-miners" that don't own up tho what they have been using it for and have been running the card full tilt under to hot conditions, cases full of dust and so on...

There are many scammers out there, but they are not the real miners or real gamers. 

Never ever buy a used gpu that was used for mining.

Period.

If you want to buy one, have fun and cry after when your card stop working after 3 months.

Cheers guys, no more advice for this. You think the card is good go for it you might get lucky and get a good one. You don't like the risk don't buy it.

14 hours ago, Hit_and_run_poster said:

are used graphics cards from graphic design companies alright? 

Graphic design cards (depending on what type) may not be right for your use case; however, in general - I don't see any reason the cards would be unfit for use (excluding the case where somebody did something stupid). 

2 hours ago, gbergeron said:

If you want to buy one, have fun and cry after when your card stop working after 3 months.

You think the card is good go for it you might get lucky and get a good one. You don't like the risk don't buy it.

I've bought at least 5 GPUs that have been mined on prior and have seen no long-term problems (After a year plus of on-and-off use).

Sure, you may see some problems 5 or 10 years in the future, but at that point - the card's value (and possible loss due to mining) is in the range of tens of dollars.

A possible loss of a 30 dollar card in 5 years (a time by which almost everybody upgrades) is, to me, worth a highly discounted card now.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

On 12/27/2018 at 12:21 PM, gbergeron said:

Underclocked with better cooling than a gaming rig and more like 6 months to a year. Most folks wanting to turn a profit want to save on energy bills and sell cards off while still under warranty. Your fears are irrational, I'd rather buy a mining card than one that was abused by a kid that's been gaming and wondering why his card or running at 90c.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

If you can pick up a mining card for 2/3-3/4 of current new prices then do so.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430