Is bluestacks the answer for a Home Theatre set up?

garethsnaim

Hi folks

I have various media players around the house, appletv 4s, firesticks etc and in fairness they all work just fine.

But I am a geek and want to build my own, I have a lovely fanless PC, with basically the innards of an intel nuc and I really want to build my own Media Player.

I have what I consider some simple requirements:

• Must be controllable with a handheld remote, ideally a harmony. (Sorry but I do not consider phone remotes a solution waking the phone, finding the app, launching the app, waiting for app to connect etc, etc na sorry)
  • As minimum access to Netflix, Plex, iPlayer and Amazon Prime.
  • Kids need to be able to use it.

In short I want something as nice to use as the off the shelf solutions, but I want to use this lovely fanless pc to do it.

I get that this is not possible with say windows, as even if I could launch the apps from a remote they probably wont work because they are expecting mousing input, I really don't want to sit on the safe navigating menus with a trackpad and keyboard, this solution might be alright for a teenagers bedroom, but not for a full solution.

Anyhow the only solution I can think *could* work is bluestacks. Has anyone used this? Its hard to determine if it could be used with a remote?

Before I start on this I wondered if anyone had any experiences or suggestions for making what on the face of it seems like a simple requirement, but which apparently is far from it, any other solutions out there?

Happy holidays everyone.

there is no easy solution for this and all of them will have their problems which is exactly why off the shelve solutions are popular, they work for what they should do and thats it.

you will already have trouble with stuff like Netflix as soon as you want 4k for example as they dont allow it on a PC unless you got a at least kaby lake Intel CPU.

well, if you need some apps, you could use android x86, but i have no experience in home theatre

Not sure if my little pc supports it but I am happy to install a bare metal virtual on it, rather than building on windows. I guess the issue then is how the hell you would get a remote to work at all.

Its surprising the KODI etc do not offer a way through the internet, i.e. click netflix icon in kodi and it opens the website, though I expect 5.1 etc wont work in a browser.

If it runs with Linux, it should run even androidx86 or even better a flavor like RemixOS, at least on Intel GPU's

I would steer clear of Bluestacks in any use. Its crapware which downloads bloat to your PC unless you pay ransom for it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv