Can't use Bluetooth headphone's mic

Cokeman439

I recently purchased the Senheiser HD 4.40BT, but whenever i try to use the mic on the headphones I either hear nothing, or the quality is garbage. I've tried disabling handsfree telephony, but then i cant use the mic. I've set my default playback device as the non-handsfree option, but then i hear nothing. (The headphones show up twice in my playback options when handsfree telephony is active) When I select the handsfree option for playback, I end up with very low quality audio. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

This is normal.  Bluetooth headsets switch over to telephone quality when using the Mic, this is how the standard works.

This is why nobody games with bluetooth headsets.  And if they do, they use some other mic so the audio quality isnt garbage.

I dont have this issue on any other device though, is it a problem with how windows manages bluetooth devices?

3 hours ago, Cokeman439 said:

I dont have this issue on any other device though, is it a problem with how windows manages bluetooth devices?

The other devices actually have the same problem but auto-switch when you are in a call, and when in a call the audio quality does go down.  If I use Discord on my phone, which activates the "communications profile" for bluetooth, my Pandora/media player output sounds like garbage.  Just like you are describing with your games.

Windows does not auto switch between modes, and if you tried to use the "communications profile" on a game, the audio quality would sound exactly like the quality you would get over a phone connection.  That would be the result of the BT "hands free" audio codec.

You can not work around this, it is just how BT works.