Disk usage 100%. spiking write speeds

Arika

So i've had this issue in the past, which i thought it was the drive, but it's happening again with a new drive. I had a spare SSD and external enclosure that i want to use. the SSD will not fit in my case since it's an ITX and i've run out of mounting points. However for some reason my PC has an issue with it, I've done a few test transfers to and from it with a dummy 5GB file and the disk usage looks normal at 95-100% but the disk write usage does not as seen below

image.png.895f07b5ad742f187cbe4c9af7942a61.png

i've darkened the line to see it a bit easier. as you can see it ramps up, then straight back down to 0, then up, down etc etc.

things it's not

• Drive
  • Enclosure
  • Cable

I know its none of these because it works perfectly normal in the same enclosure, same cable in my laptop. so it's definitely related to my PC. But i have 3 other external drives which do not exhibit this problem at all. I've been able to recreate the issue with a 2.5" HDD in the same enclosure and has the same spiking write speeds.

So this makes me think it's either a conflict in the firmware of the enclosure and something on my PC or some dumb setting somewhere in windows that i need to change. But i have no idea what else i should be checking.

Thoughts?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Try doing a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and looking under the task manager for disk usage to try and get an idea what processes is/are keeping your drive so busy.

maybe you have defragment on in windows. happened to me with hdd. have no idea if it does that on ssd's

9 minutes ago, asus killer said:

maybe you have defragment on in windows. happened to me with hdd. have no idea if it does that on ssd's

It's never a good idea to defragment an SSD.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

open Resource Monitor and check which process is writing/reading in Disk tab.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Check under Task Manager under the processes tab to see the percentages of the Disk to find out why your SSD is under constant utilization. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Or better yet in Task Manager open Resource Monitor.

• Open your Task Manager and go to performance tab
  • Open Resource Monitor in the bottom
  • Then hit disk tab and observe what is reading and writing to your drives