PC crashes to desktop or blue screens in most games

Gmessi

hey my friend is having serious trouble with his computer, it started randomly out of nowhere i've tried completely resetting windows still happens starting to think maybe it's to do with hardware?

His PC specs:

ryzen 5 1600

gtx 970 (upgraded from r7 360 thinking that would fix the problem still occurs)

16gb ddr4

if anyone knows why this could be happening would be very appreciated! thanks

does his gpu make coil whine noises? does it only crash on higher graphics because i have the same problem

It started randomly out of nowhere? The only instance I can think of that happening is if something shorted the motherboard, or someone has remote access to the PC. I'm sure there are more ways but they don't come to mind. What PSU does he have? If possible, can you tell the specific PSU?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, X_xStriderx_X said:

does his gpu make coil whine noises? does it only crash on higher graphics because i have the same problem

this is probably a different scenario. They upgraded the GPU.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, Muffin_man17 said:

By "resetting windows" do you mean just power cycling or you reinstalled Windows?

completely reinstalled windows sorry kinda wrote this quick :P

4 minutes ago, mxk. said:

It started randomly out of nowhere? The only instance I can think of that happening is if something shorted the motherboard, or someone has remote access to the PC. I'm sure there are more ways but they don't come to mind. What PSU does he have? If possible, can you tell the specific PSU?

yeah started out of nowhere because he upgraded his cpu, motherboard and ram from a amd fx chip, it worked fine for a good month or so and than the crashing started and has just got progressively worse over time now he can't play a game without it crashing in the first 30 seconds of gameplay

6 minutes ago, mxk. said:

oh and he has a corsair cx 500 i think

What size and brand/model PSU is he using? MY thoughts are insufficient power, which can lead to application failure and BSOD.

Any error codes from BSOD or Windows Event Viewer? Those often help pinpoint what is failing.

Acer Nitro 5

1 minute ago, Tobimaru said:

What size and brand/model PSU is he using? MY thoughts are insufficient power, which can lead to application failure and BSOD.

Any error codes from BSOD or Windows Event Viewer? Those often help pinpoint what is failing.

corsair cx 500 if i remember correctly he has a psu shroud covering it so can't see it but pretty sure it was that one when i built

6 minutes ago, Gmessi said:

oh and he has a corsair cx 500 i think

Ohhhh actually, is the motherboard on standoffs, or is it touching the case in any way? I'm pretty sure this could mean the motherboard is shorting out, which I think can shut off and boot up the PC

edit: If the motherboard is touching the case, like not screwed in correctly that could be why.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

2 minutes ago, Tobimaru said:

A 500W PSU is the minimum recommended PSU for the GTX970. I think you're pushing that Corsair too hard and it's not able to power the system under load. Do you have a 650 or 700W you could throw in to test?

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

But its blue screening and turning on randomly, what explains that?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

2 minutes ago, Tobimaru said:

A 500W PSU is the minimum recommended PSU for the GTX970. I think you're pushing that Corsair too hard and it's not able to power the system under load. Do you have a 650 or 700W you could throw in to test?

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

because we don't know whats happening when its shutting down, is the PSU being overwhelmed and shutting down? We don't know

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

10 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Ohhhh actually, is the motherboard on standoffs, or is it touching the case in any way? I'm pretty sure this could mean the motherboard is shorting out, which I think can shut off and boot up the PC

edit: If the motherboard is touching the case, like not screwed in correctly that could be why.

lol he said hes using 1 standoff......

1 minute ago, Gmessi said:

lol he said hes using 1 standoff......

thats probably why. The board is probably touching the case, which causes it to short out which can shut it down and I believe turn it on and possibly make it blue screen. Have him make sure he somehow installs all the standoffs in the correct spots, and if the issues stop thats probably why.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

thats probably why. The board is probably touching the case, which causes it to short out which can shut it down and I believe turn it on and possibly make it blue screen. Have him make sure he somehow installs all the standoffs in the correct spots, and if the issues stop thats probably why.

thanks for replies man hes gonna give it a go now and see if that fixes it will update you when hes done!