Upgrade advice from a i5 2500K

Hi Internet,

For quiete some time I watch LMG video's I find them rather helpful and entertaining. However for one particular question I can't find a good source, but then there is this forum, which you should totaly join. Well here I am :).

Since a long time I run a... old setup...

1. Samsung Syncmaster T240 black. A 1980 * 1200, 24, 5ms, TN pannel with a unknow but low refresh reate.
  2. I5 2500K, Used to be OC'd to around 4Ghz, now its back on stock.
  3. Corsair Veneance, DDR3 2x 4GB RAM with 1,6Ghz or maybe even 2.1 Ghz
  4. MSI P67A-GD 55
  5. MSI GTX 1080 Ti
  6. Corsair TX650W power supply
  7. Samsung 830 SSD of 256 GB
  8. Samsung Evo 840 SSD of 250 GB
  9. Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B CPU cooler

For a long time this setup was doing fine for me, but recently I had to clock the CPU down to stock plus I want to upgrade my monitor to a 1440p version with at least 120 Hrtz.

This means I have to upgrade 1, 2, 3 and 4. The rest should be fine although in Linus recent X-mas holiday guide there was a nice WD m.2 drive of 1TB that was tempting price whise. But any motherboard in this upgrade should support that.

So the question I can't seem to decide for myself. 

What is a good upgrade kit to enjoy 1440p ultra gaming? I have to admit I am fond of Intel and MSI. For the plain and simple reason that Intel CPU's have a higher resell value and that in my gut feeling opinion hardware of the same brand works better together then a mix. Oh and last but not least, RGB has no value for me.

Edits: 
Price+Performance -> budget here

Greeting from the Netherlands,

Joost :)

just drop in an I7 3770K and dont upgrade the rest of the parts

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

just drop in an I7 3770K and dont upgrade the rest of the parts

And a cheap cooler, like that arctic one you're always throwing around lol, or the be quiet! Pure Rock Slim.

edit: or even a 2600K/2700K for that matter.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Oh, I run a Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B CPU cooler. 

Ah so a pure CPU on the same socket upgrade? Is it that little performance difference for gaming?  

4 minutes ago, joostsozee said:

Ah so a pure CPU on the same socket upgrade? Is it that little performance difference for gaming?  

you could also go to a newer platform (ryzen I would say here), any budget for me?

btw, hallo

@joostsozee

I'm also struggling to go for a new i5 8400 or either ryzen 2700 today, I have the same cpu, but a locked version (i5 2500). And any of modern cpu's look some sort of not a big jump for me. Especially since I have to upgrade mobo and ram also.

And yet I'm feeling like I need more ram and cpu horsepower sometimes.

Hi LukeSavenije,

Upgrading to a newer platform has my prefference. I have a very old simple motherbord and a bit more RAM can't hurt while browsing ;). But I prefer staying with Intel because of the resell value and if it makes sense, the  BIOS / OC knowledge for Intel CPU's.

Price+Performance -> budget here. Although €800,- or so for the 3 main parts feel as a fair max budget that should get me a good upgrade. Then a few hundred for a new screen, last one is from 2008, and I'm all happy.

@paprikman

Yea, nailed the feeling.

13 minutes ago, joostsozee said:

Well, I had an 2500K since 2017, but needed that extra punch for multitasking. 2700K (or 2600K / 3770K) does the trick on a budget. They overclock like crazy as long as you keep them cool. I plan to upgrade to an 8700K, but the main barrier is the cost of DDR4 still.

You can find used DDR3 kits for cheap. I got 32GB of DDR3 myself.

There is a notable gain in gaming performance, especially once you get above 4.5 GHz+.

Z77 motherboards are kind of overpriced in the used market that I've seen.

I would wait for new Ryzen 3 announcement and see how good those CPUs are going to be.

It's scheduled for 9th January, so about 2 weeks to get more details on Ryzen 3000 series :)

But if you don't want to spend money on new motherboard + cpu + ram and most likely also CPU cooler, upgrading to i7 2600k or 3770k might be best idea.

You can get those used for 100€ in my country, and you can still sell your old CPU for something like 50€.

So you would be only spending 50€ on this upgrade .... performance wise it will show improvement.

On the other hand, Ryzen 3000 series won't come in cheap for your upgrade: 100€ for motherboard, around 200 for CPU, 150€ for RAM .... not that cheap in the end :) 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

And if you do decide to upgrade to i7 on your platform, I would pick i7 2600k/2700k instead of i7 3rd gen simply because i7 2600k/2700k is soldered, and won't run as hot as i7 cpus from 3rd gen.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Keep an eye out for local classifieds on Kijiji or Craigslist. I picked up my i5 7600k for $160 CAD ($120 USD). 

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

Just curious, why did you have to revert back to stock clocks? It's a pretty modest overclock to 4 GHz.  I wouldn't think you had to even change voltages to get that.

20 hours ago, Swarlos said:

Just curious, why did you have to revert back to stock clocks? It's a pretty modest overclock to 4 GHz.  I wouldn't think you had to even change voltages to get that.

My PC starting running unstable so I did a BIOS reset and tried to clock it back to 4Ghz again. There was indeed no voltage change needed for that clock, but every time I try to clock it back via multiplier to 4Ghz it won´t boot anymore. After a few attemps it throws me back to a screen where it says OC settings have failed, reset and load default or go to settings.

I also checked some i7 3770K and there are some good second hand offers with close to new CPU´s for 150E. However seeing as I can´t get a decent OC now I think its time to get a new motherbord as well. While I´m att it, why not some newer memory with a higher speed. All in all I could get a new setup for 1155 socket for around 350/400 euro.

I much more prefer a newer platform, something like a 8700k or a 9700k or maybe, just maybe even wait for the new AMD line-up... I guess I was looking for "the new i5 2500K" to get me set on CPU level for the next few years...

4 hours ago, joostsozee said:

My PC starting running unstable so I did a BIOS reset and tried to clock it back to 4Ghz again. There was indeed no voltage change needed for that clock, but every time I try to clock it back via multiplier to 4Ghz it won´t boot anymore. After a few attemps it throws me back to a screen where it says OC settings have failed, reset and load default or go to settings.

I also checked some i7 3770K and there are some good second hand offers with close to new CPU´s for 150E. However seeing as I can´t get a decent OC now I think its time to get a new motherbord as well. While I´m att it, why not some newer memory with a higher speed. All in all I could get a new setup for 1155 socket for around 350/400 euro.

I much more prefer a newer platform, something like a 8700k or a 9700k or maybe, just maybe even wait for the new AMD line-up... I guess I was looking for "the new i5 2500K" to get me set on CPU level for the next few years...

Yeah, it seems like your motherboard is dieing if it can't hold a mild 2500K overclock.

WR to an upgrade, technically a 'new i5 2500K' would be either the i5 8600K/9600K, but if your budget can stretch to a 8700K or 9700K I would get those chips instead. If history has proven anything, its that the 4C/8T chips have 'aged' much better than the 4C/4T chips for gaming.

I've set my eys on a 9700k :) although I did manage to OC the 2500K back to 4Ghz by changing the individual cores to x40 

Now I just need a propper matching motherboard and ram, preferly one that doesn't spend money on looking like an X-mas tree.