Single channel vs dual channel memory difference

Hello,i recently installed battlefield 1 (trial version),and i've noticed i had very bad framerates and high usage only on the cpu,and gpu being in 40-60% area.i've read on the internet on some other forums threads where people said that because of having only 1 ram stick,it causes the cpu to go to 100% usage and limit the gpu the 60%ish zone ,depending on the system,and i ve been wondering if buying another stick of ram would solve it,since i ve got 2 slots and im only using 1,plus,i ve seen videos on yt where people benchmark bf1 on a system that has same spcecs as mine,but different bran on gpu,ram,psu etc,with dual channel memory,and hitting over 60 fps pretty easily on medium or even high on not demanding maps,like the desert one(dk the name),where i was getting 55 at best on low.sry if my eng is bad,i'm from europe

specs:

-1x 8gb ddr4 2400 mhz ram

-gtx 1050ti msi gaming x 4gb

-ryzen 3 1200 @ 3.1ghz with stock cooler

-a320m-k prime mobo

-650w thermaltake litepower psu

Yes, Ryzen really struggles with single channel memory, so that most likely accounts for your performance issues.

Yeah for Ryzen it makes a lot of difference having dual channel and fastest frequency possible due to infinity fabric relation to it, then again BF1 Online a Ryzen entry level with just 4c/4t is not doing miracles either ways.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Hmm,yeah,but i tought i would get some decent fps,bcz the game was launched in 2016,so it would have had time to be well optimized,but if i have to upgrade after i upgrade the RAM first,would it be the gpu or the cpu first?

Ryzen will work better with two memory sticks.

Ryzen also likes FAST memory, there would be a noticeable improvement with higher frequency ram, ideally 3000 or 3200 Mhz memory.

Here they benchmark a 2400g with memory running at various frequencies : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raven-ridge-memory-scaling-benchmarks,5489.html

With the integrated graphics, you can see going from 2400 Mhz to 2933 Mhz they get a few fps more , like 48 vs 53 fps, 24 vs 28 and so on.

Same articles shows difference between single channel and dual channel in a bunch of games.

If you're not using the integrated gpu, extra frequency will still help.

Ideally, you should sell your current memory stick and buy two memory sticks that run at 2933 mhz or higher.

Still a game like battlefield would be quite cpu intensive, could be the cpu is even holding back the video card a bit, depending on the graphical settings but I doubt it.

If you have the money, go for a Ryzen 2600, should be the best performance for the price right now.

31 minutes ago, RadishRadu said:

i recently installed battlefield 1

Generally just a very CPU intensive game.

Well my ram stick would run at 3000 mhz but my mobo doesn t support tgat speed so it downgraded to 2400mhz,and i chose that mobo because it was on a crazy sale,and i built the system during the summer of 2017 where gpus and ram were already expensive af

Your motherboard uses the A320 chipset, which does not allow overclocking.  That doesn't mean you're limited to 2400 Mhz though.

Ryzen 2200g officially supports 2933 Mhz according to AMD (scroll down to memory) : https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200g

The motherboard may limit you to 2666 Mhz, but the point is you SHOULD be able to select more than 2400 Mhz, if your memory sticks are actually designed to work up to 3000 Mhz.

See https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-K/specifications/

You can see that up to 2666 Mhz, the motherboard considers them standard frequencies. Anything over 2666 Mhz, they don't guarantee it will work, that's why they say OC near the frequencies higher than 2666 Mhz. 

Use a software like CPU-Z or Aida64 to look up the SPD profiles in your memory chip, and write down the frequencies and timings and voltage required to work at a particular profile.  Then go in BIOS, in the Advanced section and select a higher frequency and if needed, set the voltage to the one for that frequency, and if really needed, manually enter those timings.

You shouldn't have to enter stuff manually, you should see several presets in bios, with higher memory frequencies like 2666 Mhz and 2933 Mhz.

See page 21 in manual, which is here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_A320M-K/E12854_PRIME_A320M-K_UM_V2_WEB_20170526.pdf

I have a ryzen 3 1200,amd on the amd web page it says it supports up to 2667 mhz,i ll try it when i get back home and see if it helps or not,but probably not a lot considering its only 267 mhz