Memory and Motherboard

Hi everyone,

I bought a 7th gen motherboard and ddr4 ram.

But the speed of the ram is 2666 where on the ram type for the motherboard it says DDR4-2133 / 2400..

Would this cause my pc not to boot up? because I am having a booting problem right now.

Thanks in advance. 

By default, RAM speed will be set to 2133Mhz, so you should have no issues booting up. Only if you do manual memory OC or enable XMP you might have booting issues.*

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

By default, RAM speed will be set to 2133Mhz, so you should have no issues booting up. Only if you do manual memory OC or enable XMP you might have booting issues.*

I have the pc here and it is kept in a reboot when I power on.

The CPU is i5-7400

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Power Supply: 500w & 600w on standby

How far are you getting before the computer reboots? Are you able to get into BIOS and check that everything is recognized by the motherboard?  Do you have a motherboard speaker plugged in?  The beep codes can be very helpful.

3 minutes ago, SD2020_ said:

I have the pc here and it is kept in a reboot when I power on.

The CPU is i5-7400

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Power Supply: 500w & 600w on standby

Do any error LEDs light up when you boot the system?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, Swarlos said:

How far are you getting before the computer reboots? Are you able to get into BIOS and check that everything is recognized by the motherboard?  Do you have a motherboard speaker plugged in?  The beep codes can be very helpful.

nowhere

no post

I'd recommend searching for something along the lines of "no POST troubleshooting"

There are a lot of steps to consider, I don't know if there's a sticky post somewhere on these forums covering that, but there should be.

I found a link from NCIX Tech Tips from Linus several years back.

Edited by Swarlos
Added link

Also, if you have  a motherboard speaker lying around somewhere, the beep code can tell you what the problem is.

motherboardspeaker.jpg

If this is your first PC build I'd recommend reseating the RAM and making sure all the cables are connected properly first.

Edited by Swarlos
Added motherboard speaker picture

Try to reseat that memory and apply just a bit more pressure than you did before from the top center to the edges to ensure a proper connection. You would be surprised how common a seating issue is. Should the system not boot up into BIOS then, try the module in a different bank to see if you get a different result. If it is able to boot up in that bank, then it means the other bank or slot if faulty and I would recommend sending the motherboard back to where you purchased it for a replacement or RMA it, ect.

1 hour ago, Ykcud said:

Try to reseat that memory and apply just a bit more pressure than you did before from the top center to the edges to ensure a proper connection. You would be surprised how common a seating issue is. Should the system not boot up into BIOS then, try the module in a different bank to see if you get a different result. If it is able to boot up in that bank, then it means the other bank or slot if faulty and I would recommend sending the motherboard back to where you purchased it for a replacement or RMA it, ect.

The PC turns on, the LED's turn on, the fans spin but after 2 seconds they shut off then the repeats. Nothing on screen just reboots all the time.

There is a red LED on in the bottom right of the motherboard. I do not have a speaker to listen for troubleshooting sounds.

3 hours ago, Swarlos said:

I notice the Motherboard says this on PC Part Picker. Would this be a problem that my ram is 2666 speed?

Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 22.51.42.png

Typically RAM will default to 2133 MHz in BIOS so you don't run into those kinds of problems.  You have to enable an XMP profile in order to set it to run at 2666 MHz.  I expect there's something else going on.  The RAM may be faulty, the DIMM slot might be faulty.  There are a lot of things to check on a hardware level when a computer won't POST.  That's why I tried to link you to the other thread.  I don't want to recreate the wheel in diagnosing the problem when there are other materials you can use that are already available.

12 hours ago, Swarlos said:

Typically RAM will default to 2133 MHz in BIOS so you don't run into those kinds of problems.  You have to enable an XMP profile in order to set it to run at 2666 MHz.  I expect there's something else going on.  The RAM may be faulty, the DIMM slot might be faulty.  There are a lot of things to check on a hardware level when a computer won't POST.  That's why I tried to link you to the other thread.  I don't want to recreate the wheel in diagnosing the problem when there are other materials you can use that are already available.

Sorry it was late at night. I will go through all them problems this evening when I am home :)