Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i7 8700k or Ryzen 7 2700x for streaming/editing.

kels
 Share

GPU will be a RTX 2070.
Played on 3440x1440p, looking for which route would be best for streaming games at decent quality, and have a better performance doing super-high resolution photo editing. 


Thanks!

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kels said:

GPU will be a RTX 2070.
Played on 3440x1440p, looking for which route would be best for streaming games at decent quality, and have a better performance doing super-high resolution photo editing. 


Thanks!

either would be fine, I think the 2700x might be better for you because more cores 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of gaming performance at 1440p, the 2700x and 8700k are basically the same since there is an increased GPU bottleneck at 1440p, especially with ultrawide. The 2700x has more cores and threads so that would help with streaming and editing, so I’d go for the 2700x. It’s cheaper too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

In terms of gaming performance at 1440p, the 2700x and 8700k are basically the same since there is an increased GPU bottleneck at 1440p, especially with ultrawide. The 2700x has more cores and threads so that would help with streaming and editing, so I’d go for the 2700x. It’s cheaper too

Would you think there'd be a substantial difference in performance to rake out the extra $200+ for a 2080 over the 2070? Or enough to really rationalize it? I definitely want to future proof this build cause it'll be the last one I can do for a few years. 

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kels said:

Would you think there'd be a substantial difference in performance to rake out the extra $200+ for a 2080 over the 2070? Or enough to really rationalize it? I definitely want to future proof this build cause it'll be the last one I can do for a few years. 

 

HW unboxed did a 20 game benchmark, the graphs have the 2080 and 2080ti on them as well so you can compare the difference in fps at 1440p 

 

edit: at 9:35 they say that at 1440p the 2070 is about 18% slower on average than the 2080

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kels said:

Would you think there'd be a substantial difference in performance to rake out the extra $200+ for a 2080 over the 2070? Or enough to really rationalize it? I definitely want to future proof this build cause it'll be the last one I can do for a few years. 

I’d say it’s worth it for 1440p ultrawide

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kels said:

GPU will be a RTX 2070.
Played on 3440x1440p, looking for which route would be best for streaming games at decent quality, and have a better performance doing super-high resolution photo editing. 


Thanks!

you are basically stuck with 60fps for gaming on that res and streaming, so more cores is the better choice here, 2700x, though it'll get its ass kicked by zen 2 in just 5 months.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, xg32 said:

you are basically stuck with 60fps for gaming on that res and streaming, so more cores is the better choice here, 2700x, though it'll get its ass kicked by zen 2 in just 5 months.

The rumors have a decent chance to be false though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither.  If your hardcore video editor then get the ThreadRipper. 

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, _d0nut said:

The rumors have a decent chance to be false though.

just the ipc improvements and a clock bump to 4.7 (there was an engineering sample at 4.5 MONTHS ago) would result in almost a 30% increase (very basic expectations), i'm not counting on it to have 16 cores and do all-cores 5.1. We are so close to launch now that makes this a very bad time to upgrade (sales are over) unless OP doesn't have a pc to work with and needs the upgrade now.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, xg32 said:

just the ipc improvements and a clock bump to 4.7 (there was an engineering sample at 4.5 MONTHS ago) would result in almost a 30% increase (very basic expectations), i'm not counting on it to have 16 cores and do all-cores 5.1. We are so close to launch now that makes this a very bad time to upgrade (sales are over) unless OP doesn't have a pc to work with and needs the upgrade now.

Essentially. I can make the upgrade later down the road but I'm confined to a Macbook because my previous computer went dead. 

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×