Microsoft UK Store SCAM - selling original substandard Surface Book as Performance!

TLDR: Microsoft offload substandard obselete surface book hardware on UK consumers expecting the 965m performance base. I suspect most consumers are unaware, and have been successfully conned.

Microsoft have been advertising refurbished original Surface Books with performance bases on their online UK store. That performance base, makes all the difference as most of you will know, as the graphics card and battery life included in it, is significantly improved compared with the original. The original GPU (nvidia 940) also has multiple known graphics driver issues that make it unusable with various apps.

As my partner is a graphic designer, this looked to be the perfect purchase for him. I ordered the i7, 256gb variant, with dGPU (965m) on 20th November 2018. Delivery was prompt. However I was shocked to find that the base wasn't as advertised. It's an original base, not a performance base. Making the equipment purchased, not worth the £999 I paid for it.

It was at this point that I checked the reviews on the UK store (stupidly I only looked at the many on youtube prior to purchase!), to discover that the most recent ones, were 1 star, and all reporting the same issue. Quite a few reviews in fact. All reporting on top of this, an atrocious experience with customer service - leading to a return. I hope this wouldn't be the case, that Microsoft would endeavour to make this right. Afterall, I'd just spent £999 on this laptop. The most I've spent on any purchase in quite some time.

So I braced myself, and rang Microsoft. Four times over the next three weeks, I was promised by their customer service reps over and over that I would get the base that was advertised, and that someone with the power to do this would call me. I just needed to be patient. 3 weeks. I was given a case ticket, and told to wait repeatedly.

Eventually today, (almost 23 days after recieving the product - giving me only a week to organise a return, if I wished to do so), I receive a phonecall telling me that they will not supply the product as advertised. All I can get is a refund + £50 for my troubles. I was also informed by the rep that there was no manager available to speak to me regarding this. All non-negotiable. And, a manager wouldn't be able to call me back even though I directly requested it. Atrocious. There wasn't even a basic pretense of discussing the issue with a higher up, I wasn't allowed that.

I'm taking that refund, but not as a happy customer. I am also very concerned about all the other customers out there who purchased this product in good faith, and perhaps aren't as technically minded as myself to check their purchase? They've all been issued with sub-standard merchandise, and I'd imagine most aren't aware of this! To the layman, they look identical. One would have to do a hardware check. Interestingly, this could be quite a widespread issue, with many consumers unaware of how they've been scammed!

At the very least it's false advertising, if not an outright attempt to scam by offloading substandard hardware onto unsuspecting consumers. It's a blatant and provable lie. What was a wonderful present to my partner, has turned bitter in our mouths. I would appreciate any and all advice you could give on how to further rectify this issue? For now, I can only return the product.

PS: I forgot to mention, they're still selling it today, falsely advertised and all. Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/microsoft-surface-book-certified-refurbished/93ltm69s3rff?activetab=pivot:techspecstab

CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.40ghz Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 3 RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz GPU: Zotac GTX760 PSU: Corsair TX650 Boot SSD: Kingston 120gb Storage: 1TB Seagate Baracuda Case: Corsair 750D

this is the kinda thing you post to the right subreddit. Shaming corporations on social media is the only way to get them to right their wrongs these days. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

this is the kinda thing you post to the right subreddit. Shaming corporations on social media is the only way to get them to right their wrongs these days. 

What subreddit would you suggest Syntaxvgm?

CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.40ghz Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 3 RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz GPU: Zotac GTX760 PSU: Corsair TX650 Boot SSD: Kingston 120gb Storage: 1TB Seagate Baracuda Case: Corsair 750D

2 minutes ago, rtlkyuubi said:

What subreddit would you suggest Syntaxvgm?

idk. Somewhere technology related with a decent amount of traffic and a place that loves circle jerking about PR disasters. PCMR could be one, idk. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'll give that a try, thanks!

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

So is this news or just one bad experience? 

There are four other reviews on their website, all complaining of the same experience.

Plus I've found this comment today: http://disq.us/p/1xl8cz2

And I'm still researching. Whilst I have no proof this effects all customers of this product, it's obvious that it's going to effect plenty of non-tech minded people who are woefully unaware. Microsoft are utilising a consumers ignorance for profit. I think it should be news, but then I'm pretty biased huh? :P

Just now, rtlkyuubi said:

There are four other reviews on their website, all complaining of the same experience.

Plus I've found this comment today: http://disq.us/p/1xl8cz2

And I'm still researching. Whilst I have no proof this effects all customers of this product, it's obvious that it's going to effect plenty of non-tech minded people who are woefully unaware. Microsoft are utilising a consumers ignorance for profit. I think it should be news, but then I'm pretty biased huh? :P

Oh no doubt it should come to light but I wouldnt put it in news because it makes it appear that this is a widespread on purpose issue that has serious lawsuits ahead. 

Just dont forget that Microsoft isnt a person. The people filling the orders are people like you and me. Same box, same picture, same name...its bound to get caught up reading an order and accidentally grabbing the wrong model. I am sure non-performance base purchases got the performance base on accident too. 

This isnt Microsoft trying to rip you off. Also no company would dare try to pull this in the EU right now with current laws. 

Idk what you saw to make you think the purchase was performance base but looking at the website right now doesn't give that impression.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Most likely it's isn't Microsoft themselves that do it, it's probably a subcontractor that Microsoft pays to do it for them.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Idk what you saw to make you think the purchase was performance base but looking at the website right now doesn't give that impression.

It says in the specification that it has a 965m. 

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

The liked site says Nvidia 965m in the tech specs part

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Oh no doubt it should come to light but I wouldnt put it in news because it makes it appear that this is a widespread on purpose issue that has serious lawsuits ahead. 

Just dont forget that Microsoft isnt a person. The people filling the orders are people like you and me. Same box, same picture, same name...its bound to get caught up reading an order and accidentally grabbing the wrong model. I am sure non-performance base purchases got the performance base on accident too. 

This isnt Microsoft trying to rip you off. Also no company would dare try to pull this in the EU right now with current laws. 

Hmmm, except it would be easier for them in that situation to resolve it by offering their customers an exchange for the correct hardware.

They don't have it to give to me. Which begs the question, did they ever have performance bases in the first place?

This feels quite deliberate. Like offloading shoddy hardware quickly, and taking advantage of many of your consumers ignorance. Microsoft aren't a person, they're a massive corporation. And large corporations can commit wrongdoing just as easily as people.

2 minutes ago, rtlkyuubi said:

Hmmm, except it would be easier for them in that situation to resolve it by offering their customers an exchange for the correct hardware.

They don't have it to give to me. Which begs the question, did they ever have performance bases in the first place?

This feels quite deliberate. Like offloading shoddy hardware quickly, and taking advantage of many of your consumers ignorance. Microsoft aren't a person, they're a massive corporation. And large corporations can commit wrongdoing just as easily as people.

No I am not saying they shouldnt have exchanged it or refunded you, not at all. They should replace it immediately. 

and yes, performance bases exist and are real. 

This does not feel deliberate at all. Amazon, newegg, bestbuy have all sent me the wrong package of something very very similar. Look on the matebook reddit of Amazon constantly shipping the i5 model to people who purchased i7. 

Shit happens, this isnt a purposeful thing.

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No I am not saying they shouldnt have exchanged it or refunded you, not at all. They should replace it immediately. 

and yes, performance bases exist and are real. 

This does not feel deliberate at all. Amazon, newegg, bestbuy have all sent me the wrong package of something very very similar. Look on the matebook reddit of Amazon constantly shipping the i5 model to people who purchased i7. 

Shit happens, this isnt a purposeful thing.

Yeah, mistakes happen but in business when a company recognises they made a mistake, they should remedy the situation, offer an apology, and a small something for the poor experience the customer has had.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah, mistakes happen but in business when a company recognises they made a mistake, they should remedy the situation, offer an apology, and a small something for the poor experience the customer has had.

Again I am not saying they should give him good customer service and get it replaced immediately. 

@rtlkyuubi your post does not meet the guidelines for this section, please review the guidelines and update accordingly.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER