please help i think i destroyed a computer

Your Local Persian

My school was on 3 hour lockdown and i put a bobby pin into the back of the computer behind me and it exploded and sparks everywhere and the computers ethernet lights stopped flashing but it was a lockdown so the lights are off and i just acted like i didnt see anything. Pretty sure the bobby pin touched the motherboard, is there an easy fix for this or have i destroyed a school computer pls respond quickly

.......why would you do that?

it exploded and sparks everywhere

if you're not exaggerating, it's dead.

is there an easy fix for this 

tell the teacher...fess up to it and deal with the consequences.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If there were that many sparks, it's probably dead.

Maybe.... computer PSUs are pretty good about shutting off when you short them out. 

I've done it before and there were no consequences to the PSU. Worked fine afterward. The OP MAY get lucky. Did you try turning it back on? 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Maybe.... computer PSUs are pretty good about shutting off when you short them out. 

I've done it before and there were no consequences to the PSU. Worked fine afterward. The OP MAY get lucky. Did you try turning it back on? 

PSU could be fine, I wouldn't bet on the mainboard or much else on it surviving.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Who would have thought that stupid actions would have stupid results.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

PSU could be fine, I wouldn't bet on the mainboard or much else on it surviving.

True. When I shorted out the PSU I literally just shorted a cut 12V wire to the chassis. Not through the board itself. 

take out the motherboard and relative components from another cabinet that is not in use anymore and put it inside the fried cabinet, no one will ever know or else,
get ready for homeschooling.

Not likely it touched the motherboard if its a standing tower. You probably put it into the PSU. It's dead.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

58 minutes ago, Your Local Persian said:

is there an easy fix for this or have i destroyed a school computer

It's dead. Honesty is the best policy but if you act like you know nothing then IT will be called out and it will be replaced in the coming weeks.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

If there is a fix the school IT will figure it out.  It's not up to you to repair it, although if you confessed to breaking it and offered to help, who knows what might happen.  If/when they do ask what happened, you really should tell the truth.  Breaking things and then hiding it is just as bad as stealing it imo.

It's possible it just shorted and shut down (semi) harmlessly, or perhaps only the PSU is dead.  It's possible the whole thing is shot but that would be very unlikely imo.  Even if you killed the motherboard, odds are some other parts are still ok (CPU for example).

Reminds me of a slightly less serious but somewhat similar story.  Someone near me was just leaning back in their chair, balancing on the rear two legs as you do, but they went too far and their hair started to get pulled into the PSU behind them and get shredded xD No parts or flesh were injured but it was quite entertaining.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Accidents happen and the truth is always the right way. No worries man. Everyone messes up sometimes its all good. If I was a teacher I'd totally understand, all part of growing up. 

1 hour ago, Your Local Persian said:

i put a bobby pin into the back of the computer behind me and it exploded and sparks everywhere

Sounds like the computer had what we humans would call an orgasm, your bobby pin must be pretty long to poke all the way to the motherboard. You should probably buy it some memory tomorrow or its thermal paste might dry up and burn its CPU. I also hope you had some rubber on your bobby pin, as doing that bare could be dangerous.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Accidents happen

It wasn't an accident.

1 minute ago, MandoPanda said:

It wasn't an accident.

No one meant to cause harm to the computer, it was an accident. 

Just don't do it again and think before you act in the future. 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If there is a fix the school IT will figure it out.  It's not up to you to repair it, although if you confessed to breaking it and offered to help, who knows what might happen.  If/when they do ask what happened, you really should tell the truth.  Breaking things and then hiding it is just as bad as stealing it imo.

imagine the psu is dead. and you replaced /fixed the dead parts. One day, someone got hurt from shock by pc or it blew up, who's liability is that?

33 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

imagine the psu is dead. and you replaced /fixed the dead parts. One day, someone got hurt from shock by pc or it blew up, who's liability is that?

It is impossible for the PC to blow up or injure anyone as a result of a damaged motherboard, CPU, etc.  Regardless, this is irrelevant and it would be pointless for me to speculate since the school IT department will take care of repairing or replacing the machine (if necessary), and so how they do that, why, and what happens as a result is entirely their business to deal with, literally.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah... this is a troll post, right?

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It is impossible for the PC to blow up or injure anyone as a result of a damaged motherboard, CPU, etc.  Regardless, this is irrelevant and it would be pointless for me to speculate since the school IT department will take care of repairing or replacing the machine (if necessary), and so how they do that, why, and what happens as a result is entirely their business to deal with, literally.

this may bad example going to extreme, the point is if anything happens after you "touched" it, you are the person to blame. so let the IT guy deal with it.

2 hours ago, Your Local Persian said:

My school was on 3 hour lockdown and i put a bobby pin into the back of the computer behind me and it exploded and sparks everywhere and the computers ethernet lights stopped flashing but it was a lockdown so the lights are off and i just acted like i didnt see anything.

LOL so funny, acted like you didnt see nothing or do nothing, classic.

I woulda acted injured myself $ but hey.

Why was your skool in lockdown?

I wouldn't want to stay there, like a deer in headlights, fish in a barrel, get the fuck outta there now!

But hey thats what Id do. Just go home and wait until they call you that its all safe.

... Why did you do that? Try powering it off and on again and see if it works, and I guess that's pretty much all you can do.