New cpu cooler for old i5 2500

paprikman

Hi, dear community!

I have an old i5 2500 (non k version) on lga 1155 socket, which is cooled by some of the older thermaltake contac coolers.

And it became quite noisy for a while, so I decided to either replace the fan or the cooler itself. The temps are fine (~70C in load).  But idk if it's worth it replacing just the fan. Since I work a lot in a quiet environment, I need it to be as less audible as possible. I've heard that modern coolers have quite good compatibility, so they can be installed on many existing sockets.

Budget is not limited, no crazy stuff though.

I'm also thinking towards removing all case fans and replacing the fan in my noisy seasonic s12g psu.

Thanks!

get a fanless heatsink and a couple of Noctua fans to keep the build quiet.

edit: Nvm its TDP is toasty.just get a random heatsink or ziptie some new fans to you old heatsink

Get a Noctua NH-L9i or Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

get a fanless heatsink and a couple of Noctua fans to keep the build quiet.

edit: Nvm its TDP is toasty.just get a random heatsink or ziptie some new fans to you old heatsink

Yeah, but my current heatsink is freaking small, so the cooling itself sucks... You can actually launch gta 5 and put your hands near the rear fan grill and get them warm.

2 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

Get a Noctua NH-L9i or Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE.

Thanks, I will check those options.

Case? Socket compatibility won't be issue. All coolers on market will support LGA115x socket.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Case? Socket compatibility won't be issue. All coolers on market will support LGA115x socket.

It's fractal design define r4.

14 hours ago, paprikman said:

I have an old i5 2500 (non k version) on lga 1155 socket, which is cooled by some of the older thermaltake contac coolers.

And it became quite noisy for a while, so I decided to either replace the fan or the cooler itself. The temps are fine (~70C in load).  But idk if it's worth it replacing just the fan. Since I work a lot in a quiet environment, I need it to be as less audible as possible. I've heard that modern coolers have quite good compatibility, so they can be installed on many existing sockets.

2500 is not a hot chip, just 80C under full load load using stock noisy cooler.

I am using antec C40 for around USD9 , max 60C

so any 4 heatpipes 9 cm tower cooler is enough

16 hours ago, paprikman said:

Hi, dear community!

I'm also thinking towards removing all case fans and replacing the fan in my noisy seasonic s12g psu.

Thanks!

Nearly any modern CPU cooler will work on 1155. However, the 2500 does have a TDP of 95W. Buy one that looks cool and be done with it. :) 

2 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

2500 is not a hot chip, just 80C under full load load using stock noisy cooler.

I am using antec C40 for around USD9 , max 60C

so any 4 heatpipes 9 cm tower cooler is enough

Sure, but mine is noisy as shit now. Gonna be replacing it with some of the noctua's stuff. Hopefully I will get a new i7 next summer.

1 hour ago, paprikman said:

Sure, but mine is noisy as shit now. Gonna be replacing it with some of the noctua's stuff. Hopefully I will get a new i7 next summer.

I've got same case. So if you want Noctua, U14S is nice midrange option. But case also fits 90% of other coolers so you can pick anything you like.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

59 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I've got same case. So if you want Noctua, U14S is nice midrange option. But case also fits 90% of other coolers so you can pick anything you like.

Yeah, I really like this one, except that the top panel of mine has sagged. Noctua is a nice option, thanks.

Where are you shopping / located? 

Are you planning to oc with another cpu in the future?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping / located? 

Are you planning to oc with another cpu in the future?

I'm located in Russia, in the central part.

Yes, I'm planning to get more powerful cpu next summer, some i7, probably an unlocked one.

15 hours ago, paprikman said:

I'm located in Russia, in the central part.

Yes, I'm planning to get more powerful cpu next summer, some i7, probably an unlocked one.

Lucifer V2 is good if you plan to oc later. It should easily cool the 2500 semi-passively with case airflow or with the fan at very low rpm. 

If you want something quieter later down the road, you can later replace the fan with a quieter one.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Lucifer V2 is good if you plan to oc later. It should easily cool the 2500 semi-passively with case airflow or with the fan at very low rpm. 

If you want something quieter later down the road, you can later replace the fan with a quieter one.

Thanks, will check this one out.

P.S. damn this thing is heavy, 1 kg!