Witcher 3 Best graphics settings.

The Torrent

So I got Witcher 3.

My specs gtx 1060 laptop (Alienware 17)

i7 8750h

16gb 2666

120hz 1440p monitor with Tobii Eye tracking.

Some of my friends tell me to play this at a higher resolution (graphics settings, I’m guessing a 1060 can’t run it at 1440p) at 60fps (I do have a 60hz external monitor if that be the case I could use), some tell me lower resolution but play at 120hz (I was given some external software which can cap frames because I was told Witcher 3 can’t cap frames at 120)

how should i do it?

EDIT: I mean what do you guys prefer? Just curious

looking forward to your replies.

25 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

So I got Witcher 3.

My specs gtx 1060 laptop (Alienware 17)

i7 8750h

16gb 2666

120hz 1440p monitor with Tobii Eye tracking.

Some of my friends tell me to play this at a higher resolution (graphics settings, I’m guessing a 1060 can’t run it at 1440p) at 60fps (I do have a 60hz external monitor if that be the case I could use), some tell me lower resolution but play at 120hz (I was given some external software which can cap frames because I was told Witcher 3 can’t cap frames at 120)

how should i do it?

looking forward to your replies.

try nvidia g force experience then click optimal settings

I may be wrong.

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

not optimal for me 

If you have the game and the hardware can't you just run it both ways and just choose which way you like it more? 

Anyway, a 1060 should give you about 40-50 fps in Witcher 3 1440p on max settings without Hairworks. Change that to "high" and you should be reaching 60fps.

The game is eye candy - I'd personally take 60fps with better resolution than 120fps with lower one. Bear in mind that a 1060 will not give you 120fps in Witcher 3 1080p on max settings.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Witcher 3 isn't what you'd call a "twitch game", you wouldn't benefit that much from 120fps.
There might be a bit of a smoother transition between frames, but for what is basically a "slow paced" RPG, eye candy is more appealing.

In any case, you have the game, it doesn't take that much time to test both options to see what you feel is best.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Witcher 3 isn't what you'd call a "twitch game", you wouldn't benefit that much from 120fps.
There might be a bit of a smoother transition between frames, but for what is basically a "slow paced" RPG, eye candy is more appealing.

In any case, you have the game, it doesn't take that much time to test both options to see what you feel is best.

3 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

If you have the game and the hardware can't you just run it both ways and just choose which way you like it more? 

Anyway, a 1060 should give you about 40-50 fps in Witcher 3 1440p on max settings without Hairworks. Change that to "high" and you should be reaching 60fps.

The game is eye candy - I'd personally take 60fps with better resolution than 120fps with lower one. Bear in mind that a 1060 will not give you 120fps in Witcher 3 1080p on max settings.

Ok thanks,

i feel I should have posted the thread differently:

i mean go to ask what do people prefer?

thank you for your answers.

Anyone know if I will get much screen tearing on a 120hz monitor playing at 60fps?

You shouldn't get tearing at 60 FPS on a 120hz monitor. As far as graphics are concerned, a GTX 1060 should be able to max out Witcher 3 and average around 60 FPS.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1060-review,23.html

That said, a mobile GTX 1060 should be right in that ballpark

Personally, I would download the Supreme to Extreme mod and The Witcher 3 HD Rework mod. Supreme to Extreme allows you to adjust your settings above the maximum settings in game, so you can adjust things how you see fit. Also, I recommend grabbing a custom ReShade for Witcher. Finally, setting your DX LoD bias to either -0.5 or -1.0 through Nvidia Inspector should help sharpen distance textures with no impact on performance (remember to set Anti Aliasing Supersampling mode to Replay_All for this to work).

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Presets are a bit stupid. Just set it to high (or whatever is bellow ultra) and then tweak thr settings to see which of them make a difference in visuals (and dont kill the fps) and which ones are LITERALLY useless and bash your fps hard.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:14 AM, The Torrent said:

I mean what do you guys prefer? Just curious

I prefer 1440p at 90-110 fps. Tweak the graphic settings to be able to do so. Use this guide for help achieving the highest fps with the best visual fidelity possible... The Witcher 3 Graphics Guide. Just so you know, Hairworks OFF and Foliage Visibility Range on Medium to Low will give you major fps improvement right off the bat. As shown here:

1hair.png.783783434b03d31539d7c970b6bac144.png

1foli.png.2ef947ce42051f310cc23eed3023a597.png

Play around with the foliage visibility range setting.  It's the only one that actually makes a huge impact on FPS.  That said, stay away from the low setting, it looks like garbage.

That said, I doubt you'll be able to get above 60fps at 1440p, but the game should still play fine.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

I won’t be using 1440p anyway it’s a 17inch screen so I doubt i’d tell the difference.

Witcher 3 doesn’t seem like too much of a fast paced game, so what do people think of using v sync with it rather than fast sync at 60fps? Do you still notice Input lag?