Some Criticism Regarding Linus's Latest WAN Show (Dec 7, 2018)

Deus Voltage

I was very hesitant about making this thread, but I've made up my mind and could not ignore this issue. It will seem pedantic to some of you, perhaps even unnecessary.

Anyways, it's about the Ryzen 3000 clickbaity title for this video. The topic was discussed for less than 2 minutes, and they did not even mention a recent source (the source they mentioned is 3 months old). I was really looking forward to hearing their criticisms about the "leaks", just as I was when I waited for Hardware Unboxed's response. Instead, Youtube Rewind and 2 other topics took the center stage. Now I'm almost certain that some may argue that I shouldn't give this too much thought, because "Linus will be Linus" just like "Bethesda will be Bethesda!", yet we know how that worked out for them, right? 

I'm writing this because I have been watching LTT since 2011/2, and I've noticed (for the last 2 years now) that Linus (or whoever writes the video titles) tend to put a title that would attract a lot of people, but is not indicative of how much attention is given to the main topic/ news (it's more of a general trend with media, but I've noticed an uptick with Linus). Is there some disconnect with the community or team? I'm really uncertain.

Linus Buddy, I love ya', but fix ya' stuff please. 

Basically, they are a clickbait content producer now.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Basically, they are a clickbait content producer now.

Yea, but this instance in particular grabbed my attention. I really felt a disconnect with the community/ team this time, more so than previous clickbaity productions.

I mean 2 min for a topic in the title is already too little, but the straw that broke the camel's back was the 3 months old source rather than the recent one that made the news on several outlets. 

Agreed, although it did seem like they got sidetracked and forgot more than anything because they segwayed into stocks and then to completely different topics.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

I doubt it will.

There is a disconnect with what the community is talking about and Linus cares about.

Few months ago when the benchmarks from Principled Technologies got release and was such a mess GN went as far as knocking on their door to ask wtf was going on, Linus clearly didn't know anything about the subject.

He basically looked 10 seconds at it, did an educated guess and moved on. He clearly never looked into it because he didn't even saw why it was a big deal. There's a reason why it got so many dislikes and Hardware Unboxed responded that Linus clearly missed the problem with it (and that comment got a bunch of upvotes as well)

WAN show used to be a decent source for journalism but these days it's just rambling about BS most of us don't care about.

I just watch GN news atm because it's imo much better.

edit: also WAN-show in its current form is redundant anyway because we have techlinked. What they should try is bring back WAN-show in its original form.

Talk about very few topics and use the rest of the time to answer questions from the community.

I mean GN has "ask GN", great video's and gives you the feeling they care about to the community and want to help them. WAN-show used to do that as well with twitter but once WAN-show got full of topics, it sort of went away and never came back, since then it went only downhill but oh well.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

i don't blame Linus, they are a media group company & thats their sole source of income, not to mention with ties to a promotion network platform that takes basically almost half of overall revenue. that's why they have floatplane to increase revenue independently i presume,  they need to get in views as much as in many ways as possible. don't expect them to do anything that will degrade that volatile revenue. from a consumers perspective you can expect them to do better, feel cheated out of stuff for doing stuff like this & more , but in reality it wont work when it comes to earning they will always move in that direction.

about leaks, i don't think they can openly discuss too accurate product info as something casual due to contract clause with partner company ,something something NDA , even speaking as a 3rd party source they have to be careful i guess.

Details separate people.

5 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

about leaks, i don't think they can openly discuss too accurate product info as something casual due to contract clause with partner company ,something something NDA , even speaking as a 3rd party source they have to be careful i guess.

Are you insinuating that they might know something about Ryzen 3000 that the public doesn't? That would be an even bigger bombshell.

1 minute ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

i don't blame Linus, they are a media group company & thats their sole source of income, not to mention with ties to a promotion network platform that takes basically almost half of overall revenue. why they have floatplane to increase revenue i presume they need to get in views as much as in many ways as possible. dont expect them dto do anything that will degrade that volatile revenue.

Afaik you can discuss stuff that's out there, even if you are under NDA because it's public information at that point.

Hardware Unboxed made a video about the leaks and he is probably also under NDA.

And they talked about it on Techlinked sooo yea...

As long as they stick to the information that's in the article, it's fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Are you insinuating that they might know something about Ryzen 3000 that the public doesn't? That would be an even bigger bombshell.

they always get to have an early sneak due to industry connections right? especially when they rely heavily on them to do sponsor placement , taken Linus is the no 1 mainstream tech promo platform channel on YouTube have earned huge amount of trust over the past years . they most probably have some direct info one way or another.

Details separate people.

The WAN show does tend to disappoint a bit.  Linus even once mentioned to James when he does the WAN show he tends to "actually talk about the news".  I kind of like Awesome Hardware better for news.  Techlinked gets annoying with the jokes and heckling.  The WAN show is best when they discuss their feelings and options on industry trends instead of random rambling.

Yeah I actually went back as I thought I'd missed the discussion in the first instance. Really liked the LTX announcement though!

Blame YT for that... they've made their system in a way that requires anyone who wishes to continue working as a YTer (obviously pretty critical to LMG), they'll have to make titles that attract as many people as possible.

Not sure why they do it for the WAN show though. That's not typically something people outside of the fans watch TMK. Better off to just take the biggest talking point.

6 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

they always get to have an early sneak due to industry connections right? especially when they rely heavily on them to do sponsor placement , taken Linus is the no 1 mainstream tech promo platform channel on YouTube have earned huge amount of trust over the past years . they most probably have some direct info one way or another.

Not in a way that'd give them access to development info within a company like AMD for something as massive as zen 2 (before stuff has been finalized).

Judging off the RTX launch, they typically get their info about the same time as everyone else. About a week from NDA releases.

Besides that...they appear to have "sources". Look at their video on intels GPU for example.

Of course besides all that, due to aforementioned NDAs, they wouldn't be able to say anything if they did.