Stop Spam Calling

Rambo3456

Hello community

I've experiencing this issue for the past couple days. I used to get around 1 spam call everyday. to me that was annoying but not enough for me to really be bothered. recently i have been getting around 5 every hour. its getting to the point where i almost am willing to change my phone number. there was a few ideas that i had to preventing and maybe saving my phone number.

First off i already have a call blacklist on my phone to auto block any number that is not in my contacts. this has helped but its not perfect. sometimes calls will still notify me and bypass the blacklist.

I was thinking about adding my phone number to the national do not call registry but i don't know if it really works or if it is even a legit service

2nd i was thinking that i can change my voicemail to a dial up modem sound so the spam call is put on a do not call list

Please let me know what you think and if i should explore any other options.

Sent From The TechMaster Himself

Thanks For All The Help - Rambo3456

I would definitely do the DNC list, as it isn't perfect but can make a difference. Also, have you looked into apps that block numbers known to be spammy?

Just now, Axeoasis said:

I would definitely do the DNC list, as it isn't perfect but can make a difference. Also, have you looked into apps that block numbers known to be spammy?

yes i got hiya

Just now, Axeoasis said:

Can you tell him how?

...Also me XD

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Can you tell him how?

...Also me XD

How to get on the DNC list? If i remember correctly (I used to work in a call center for Verizon) you can call into your provider's customer service and request it, although a quick google search gets us this:

"The Do Not Call Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines. To register by telephone, call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236). You must callfrom the phone number that you want to register. To register online (donotcall.gov), you will have to respond to a confirmation email."

1 minute ago, Axeoasis said:

How to get on the DNC list? If i remember correctly (I used to work in a call center for Verizon) you can call into your provider's customer service and request it, although a quick google search gets us this: 

"The Do Not Call Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines. To register by telephone, call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236). You must callfrom the phone number that you want to register. To register online (donotcall.gov), you will have to respond to a confirmation email."

Thanks! I'm going to register online RN.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Thanks! I'm going to register online RN.

what is the diffrence between the 2 numbers

I've found that the best way is to legitimately just harass them and waste their time. If they realize they won't get anywhere with you, they'll stop calling. My spam calls have been dropping to pretty much nothing once I started answering them and dialing whichever number gets me to their staff

Thats a great idea but there all robots

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I've found that the best way is to legitimately just harass them and waste their time. If they realize they won't get anywhere with you, they'll stop calling. My spam calls have been dropping to pretty much nothing once I started answering them and dialing whichever number gets me to their staff

This is a very good tactic, which does seem to work in many cases lol. Although if the spam calls are occurring because your number is stored in a database multiple spam callers read from, it could be a different organization/group/individual calling every time (Kinda like how you can get email spam by putting it in the wrong place).

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I tried that. They call from proxy numbers or something. They can call me but I can't call them & the number isn't registered.

I have an app called mrnumber on my iPhone. Blocks all spam calls

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, Rambo3456 said:

recently i have been getting around 5 every hour.

There is a very simple way of getting rid of them all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its called a PBX system for your Small Office or Home Office aka SOHO PBX.

This is what you do.

SOHO PBX is $80 on Amazon

Buy another phone that has voice mail and caller ID. That is your "Main" telephone, or shall we say your "Secretary's" phone. Telephone line into the CO1 jack, or Main1. PBX's come in different jacks, 1 in, 8 out or 2 in 8 out. You set your main telephone to extension 1 jack, Set its extension as your area code. This is where them scumbags are directed to. Mute the phone. Tell everyone you want to dial through, the extension of line 2 or ext2, give it the extension of your area code. Leave a pleasant message.

No more scumbags!

You know what, I will do up a nice little picture for you and place it here for your amusement at my artistic skills.

Like I said, this is called a Small Office Home Office its acronym is SOHO and its a PBX system like what major corporations use. You know when you dial a store, it says press 1 for Parts, press 2 for Hardware, press 3 for Customer Service. This is what that does.

Main 1 port is plugged in and goes to the wall. When people call its coming in through that.

You can program the PBX many ways.

It then rings ring rings and a voice prompt comes from Extension 1, stating whatever you want.

"Leave a message or dial the extension."

Robocalls will die off.

If you have a delay from the time you pick up to the time the accented punk speaks.

That is a robo caller.

OK Onwards.

You tell everyone you love and adore, to please dial the additional number for the extension. Different systems will do that differently. One system you could do it while its ringing. Another system you can do it only at voice prompt.

People you love and adore, will press the extension say 288 and your home line will ring.

Scumbags will be left to die or leave a message.

The PBX's usually comes in a few different flava flavs ;)

1 in 4 out

1 in 8 out

1 in any # out

2 in 4 out

2 in 8 out

2 in any # out

Normals are 8 out, maybe 6 out. Whether you choose 1 in or 2 in, it does not matter. You are only using 1 in, and more then likely 2 out. One will be the "main hub" telephone. This is your filter, filters friends and family and beer drinking bugs from scumbags. Mute it, be sure it has caller id, voice mail and can mute it.

An addition to my marvelous and fabtastical idea is to throw in a CallBlocker box, very common, easily searchable. Neither here nor there, additional cost and it really does not matter. Your personal SOHO PBX or sometimes its PABX will be your muscles.

Untitled.png.9f0f7b664a80f35ddd4ee6906c030c7c.png

Beyond that your only other choices are VoIP or Google Voice. Some people rave about how good it is. You get a new #, takes too much effort to keep your own number. Someone was stating you gotta port it to a cell, then port it to the VoIP or Google Voice. People rave about both though. Can block anything you want, great interface. Its a glorified CallBlocker box.

I studied the alternatives for a while. I looked deep into VoIP, I refuse Google Voice.

I believe the system I found, and I formulated on my own will work miracles.

$100 all in!!!!!!!!!!!!! $80 PBX and a $20 phone set, and your existing setup.

SOHO PBX or sometimes referred to as PABX

New Excelltel SOHO-PBX SP-208 (2 x 8 ) PABX Telephone Switch System Control Exchange

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=SOHO+PBXx

2 x 8 means up to 2 lines coming in, so up to two telephone numbers coming into the PBX system, 8 means 8 extensions. One for each room with a beer keg in it ;)

"Main" or "Secretary" phone set with Voice Mail and Caller ID, remember to mute it!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-cl2909-corded-phone-with-speakerphone-white/9297398.p?skuId=9297398

$70 + $30 = $100 greenbacks

Use your existing telephone in the Penthouse Suite.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Excelltel+SOHO-PBX

Even the bad quality video's are good to watch.

Channels like Liu Lory

She is hard to understand, the audio is hard to hear, but its well worth it.

5 hours ago, Axeoasis said:

This is a very good tactic

or is it?

Now they know that they have a number that is active, so they just may sell your # off to everyone.

I have often thought about doing that. But I believe a better method is to get the duct cleaners to go way out of town to a bogus address. Tell them you live in a 1,000,000 square meter mansion, and require carpets to be cleaned, windows washed, please pick up your gift card for tax payment there please sir, Nigerian Prince I do have your $10,000 fee please visit me at my address.

Stay on the line long enough to get a human then as soon as they answer just say "please hold", put your phone down and wait for them to hang up on you.

Two or three times of that and they will blacklist your number. Remember they called you so they're paying for the call, cost them money and they'll soon stop.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What phone are you using? Get an app called TrueCaller It'll show who is calling and you can block their numbers even if they keep on spoofing it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

13 hours ago, Rambo3456 said:

Hello community

I've experiencing this issue for the past couple days. I used to get around 1 spam call everyday. to me that was annoying but not enough for me to really be bothered. recently i have been getting around 5 every hour. its getting to the point where i almost am willing to change my phone number. there was a few ideas that i had to preventing and maybe saving my phone number.

First off i already have a call blacklist on my phone to auto block any number that is not in my contacts. this has helped but its not perfect. sometimes calls will still notify me and bypass the blacklist.

I was thinking about adding my phone number to the national do not call registry but i don't know if it really works or if it is even a legit service

2nd i was thinking that i can change my voicemail to a dial up modem sound so the spam call is put on a do not call list

Please let me know what you think and if i should explore any other options.

Welcome to the club, been getting calls for months. The Do Not call list is a joke. A link to this was posted on my city's facebook page: https://action.consumerreports.org/20181203_robocallspetition?fbclid=IwAR0sD8G-I_b-7Ex-cNXyA8UvDAORTGwXJsBBmkvutP9uPTqxnUixQPxJwyQ its a petition to demand the FCC require all phone companies to block these calls. This is probably the best thing you can do. Though with how worthless this administration is, we might have to wait for the next one to have good things happen. 

6 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

What phone are you using? Get an app called TrueCaller It'll show who is calling and you can block their numbers even if they keep on spoofing it.

I use TrueCaller, its not 100% fool proof. Not all numbers have been reported and such. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I have an app called mrnumber on my iPhone. Blocks all spam calls

second this...Mrnumber is fantastic

My current build ↘️⬇️↙️

I highly doubt any form of do not call registry will work and are nothing but a chocolate fireguard (considering my number is on the TPS which is the UK version of a do not call directory and that doesn't work) since most if not all unsolicited calls are from call centres that are outside of the country they are calling and most will fake caller ID to make it look like they're calling from within the same country.

17 hours ago, Canada EH said:

or is it?

Now they know that they have a number that is active, so they just may sell your # off to everyone.

I have often thought about doing that. But I believe a better method is to get the duct cleaners to go way out of town to a bogus address. Tell them you live in a 1,000,000 square meter mansion, and require carpets to be cleaned, windows washed, please pick up your gift card for tax payment there please sir, Nigerian Prince I do have your $10,000 fee please visit me at my address.

We were talking about if it was one agency that kept calling and already knew that the number was active lol. If they hadn't sold it by then, they probably won't afterwards.

16 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Stay on the line long enough to get a human then as soon as they answer just say "please hold", put your phone down and wait for them to hang up on you.

Two or three times of that and they will blacklist your number. Remember they called you so they're paying for the call, cost them money and they'll soon stop.

This might work for a bit, because if you just leave your phone but dont hang up, their side can't dial out. But the TelCo will disconnect it after a bit and give your end a bunch of steady beeps.

As for the cost, they use forwarding for the cheapest call cards there are. Most likely its a 1800 number, but I dont know how those work, then they spoof the number, so if they can spoof the number they can bypass billing more then likely.

16 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

What is TrueCaller, is that an app for the cell phone or a box for the telephone line?

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Welcome to the club, been getting calls for months. The Do Not call list is a joke. A link to this was posted on my city's facebook page: https://action.consumerreports.org/20181203_robocallspetition?fbclid=IwAR0sD8G-I_b-7Ex-cNXyA8UvDAORTGwXJsBBmkvutP9uPTqxnUixQPxJwyQ its a petition to demand the FCC require all phone companies to block these calls. This is probably the best thing you can do. Though with how worthless this administration is, we might have to wait for the next one to have good things happen. 

I use TrueCaller, its not 100% fool proof. Not all numbers have been reported and such. 

Just use a PBX system!

4 hours ago, OdinSword said:

second this...Mrnumber is fantastic

What is MrNumber, is it a telephone line box, is it a cell phone app?

4 hours ago, demonix00 said:

I highly doubt any form of do not call registry will work and are nothing but a chocolate fireguard (considering my number is on the TPS which is the UK version of a do not call directory and that doesn't work) since most if not all unsolicited calls are from call centres that are outside of the country they are calling and most will fake caller ID to make it look like they're calling from within the same country.

All call centers are outsourced so they dont have to follow any laws. Impossible to force anything in India sweat factory call center. Even if they get $100usd, its $1,000,000usd to us.

8 minutes ago, Axeoasis said:

We were talking about if it was one agency that kept calling and already knew that the number was active lol. If they hadn't sold it by then, they probably won't afterwards.

Just use a PBX system.

23 hours ago, Rambo3456 said:

That's garbage and scammer use it to get a list of phone numbers easily. (they are scammers, why would they care)

Usually, blocking a number straight up on your smartphone would prevent it from ever ringing your phone, so it's strange to me that you say they somehow bypass it. Maybe it's the whitelist that's screwing up? Have you tried individually blocking the numbers after they somehow passed through?

If this is about a landline, you can get one of those phones with a blocklist feature or get one of these call blocker machine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Just use a PBX system!

Kinda hard to do when your home phone comes from T Mobile. So I have operate under the conditions the carrier sets. T Mobile claims they are stopping some of these calls, which I know they are but it still not enough. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Kinda hard to do when your home phone comes from T Mobile. So I have operate under the conditions the carrier sets. T Mobile claims they are stopping some of these calls, which I know they are but it still not enough. 

This, plus i honestly think the PBX system is a bit over complicated just to stop spam calls. still cool though.