Stop Spam Calling

Rambo3456
1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Kinda hard to do when your home phone comes from T Mobile. So I have operate under the conditions the carrier sets. T Mobile claims they are stopping some of these calls, which I know they are but it still not enough. 

Then your only options are apps, VoIP or Google Voice. People love Google Voice but I hate Google anything. VoIP is too much hassle so never looked into it. Only other option is to start looking at apps and other software. I know for a fact there are VoIP PBX systems, along with PBX systems that can connect cell phones I am just trying to think of the acronym they used, the usual probably Mobile, GSM, GPS or something. My guess is GSM. I didnt look too into it because its not what we need. Probably works both ways on the GSM PBX system. I know their youtube video stated something but I skimmed over it. Hard to understand with asian accent, plus poor audio.

My phone rings when someone from my contacts list calls. It does not ring otherwise. I only need to listen to the first 2 seconds of a voicemail to see if it is spam. Actually spam in my voicemail is rare. Most bots tend to hang up before the greeting is over or hangs up shortly after the "beep".

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

My phone rings when someone from my contacts list calls. It does not ring otherwise. I only need to listen to the first 2 seconds of a voicemail to see if it is spam. Actually spam in my voicemail is rare. Most bots tend to hang up before the greeting is over or hangs up shortly after the "beep".

Yes you can do more with cell phones then you can with landlines. A lot more options. Should not be an issue at all with cell phones.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:35 AM, Rambo3456 said:

Hello community

I've experiencing this issue for the past couple days. I used to get around 1 spam call everyday. to me that was annoying but not enough for me to really be bothered. recently i have been getting around 5 every hour. its getting to the point where i almost am willing to change my phone number. there was a few ideas that i had to preventing and maybe saving my phone number.

First off i already have a call blacklist on my phone to auto block any number that is not in my contacts. this has helped but its not perfect. sometimes calls will still notify me and bypass the blacklist.

I was thinking about adding my phone number to the national do not call registry but i don't know if it really works or if it is even a legit service

2nd i was thinking that i can change my voicemail to a dial up modem sound so the spam call is put on a do not call list

Please let me know what you think and if i should explore any other options.

Well, in my opinion, signing up to the DNC list might be the first thing you cold do. It's a legit service, though. However, it won't completely stop them, especially the illegal callers (scammers). They will keep calling you using spoofed numbers. I reach the point of ignoring those calls since maybe last year. FYI, I got 20-30 calls each week. Starts from last year (where I ignored all of those unknown calls) until today, I only get 4-5 calls a week from unfamiliar numbers (telemarketers and scammers). I sometimes also look up the numbers on sites like http://whycall.me or simply Google them and block if I find many people have reported them as spam calls. Hope this helps.

There use to be an app the would send a fax machine sound to the caller. This would trick the robocalling machine into thinking your phone number was a fax line. But I can't seam to find the app any more it was along time ago, it may not even be possible anymore.

It was a cool idea, if any developers out there are feeling board maybe you could make something?

On 12/8/2018 at 2:23 AM, Canada EH said:

What is MrNumber, is it a telephone line box, is it a cell phone app?

Yes it is a cell phone app

My current build ↘️⬇️↙️

On 12/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, Donut417 said:

its a petition to demand the FCC require all phone companies to block these calls

I think this got covered a while back, but there's no current way to block these kinds of calls because there's no identity verification on phone numbers. Scammers will just spoof the number the call came from to a "valid" number and boom, it's now a call from somewhere else.

I think the FCC is planning to implement some kind of identity verification, but until then you just have to ignore the calls.

When I used to get a spam call, I just get a whistle and blow it over the mic. 

On 12/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, Axeoasis said:

This, plus i honestly think the PBX system is a bit over complicated just to stop spam calls. still cool though.

It is not complicated at all. Its a very simple system either to install or for the caller to use. The crux of the problem only comes into play for the people calling, it is an extra step.... dial an extension number. Old people do not like change and they get easily aggitated, plus they might get confused. I spoke with several elderly folks on this matter and those are the reasons they gave.

The telephone makers of sets should install features that allow for call management of caller ID numbers. Which is just a user friendly yet glorified version of the Call Blocker products that are common in the marketplace.

The next step up from that is a SOHO PBX, again we are talking landlines here not cell phones.

I am now on the hunt for a glorified version of the Call Blocker products. Just started the hunt a cursory search.

The more complicated options are switching to VoIP and Google Voice type products. Which people do love them because of the many options and features they have. Though I have always been wary of VoIP because of the quirks they used to have, they may not have them anymore. Delayed voice is one quirk. The switch over from a landline to a VoIP takes a few steps, can be accomplished, just dont know if you can switch it back. Its something to look into.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, Razor Blade said:

On 12/10/2018 at 1:51 PM, HarryNyquist said:

I think this got covered a while back, but there's no current way to block these kinds of calls because there's no identity verification on phone numbers. Scammers will just spoof the number the call came from to a "valid" number and boom, it's now a call from somewhere else.

I think the FCC is planning to implement some kind of identity verification, but until then you just have to ignore the calls.

On 12/10/2018 at 1:56 PM, RorzNZ said:

When I used to get a spam call, I just get a whistle and blow it over the mic.