Using a capture card to play PS4/Switch

Kaws

This is a strange request, but a simple and more affordable option would be to buy a used TV monitor to hook it up. However, I'm severely hampered by lack of space and my desk is already full already. Now I was thinking of getting a capture card and using that to directly connect to my desktop or laptop and play in a Windows on my PC. Does anyone know if an affordable option under $80 like this?

Wait what exactly do you wanna do? Play PS4 games on the pc? 

Because that ain't happening. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Wait what exactly do you wanna do? Play PS4 games on the pc? 

Because that ain't happening. 

Yeah, hence playing the ps4 via capture card

2 minutes ago, Kaws said:

Yeah, hence playing the ps4 via capture card

Do you know what a capture card does? 

It literally only grabs the video output of your PS4/Switch/PC and makes a video of it. There is no reverse peripheral input or anything happening in a capture card. It just captures. 

Edit: why are you not just using an hdmi cable to connect the ps4 to a monitor and play there, with a controller? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

20 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Do you know what a capture card does? 

It literally only grabs the video output of your PS4/Switch/PC and makes a video of it. There is no reverse peripheral input or anything happening in a capture card. It just captures. 

Edit: why are you not just using an hdmi cable to connect the ps4 to a monitor and play there, with a controller? 

Did you actually read his post?

He wants to know if he can buy a capture card for his PC and hook the PS4 up then play on his monitor. He literally answered your 2nd question in his post.

Btw capture cards do not "just make videos out of it", they take an input video signal and allow you to show it on the PC screen or use it in an application, very much the same way a webcam works. Separate software is required to make any kind of video, or indeed stream the display.

OP yes you can do that as long as the capture card comes with software to display the capture on screen, or you could just use OBS I guess. As for cost? I can't help you there.

One worry i would have is latency between the input device and the display, I really don't know how bad that might be.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Did you actually read his post?

He wants to know if he can buy a capture card for his PC and hook the PS4 up then play on his monitor. He literally answered your 2nd question in his post.

Btw capture cards do not "just make videos out of it", they take an input video signal and allow you to show it on the PC screen or use it in an application, very much the same way a webcam works. Separate software is required to make any kind of video, or indeed stream the display.

OP yes you can do that as long as the capture card comes with software to display the capture on screen, or you could just use OBS I guess. As for cost? I can't help you there.

One worry i would have is latency between the input device and the display, I really don't know how bad that might be.

Pretty much spot on what I'm trying to do. Its not the greatest way of doing things but I really want to connect my consoles somehow as swopping cables in and out from my Cintiq is not ideal.