Should I put this much faith in Mantle?

I know I'm probably getting really annoying by now but I'm going to make another gaming PC for someone can you guys check it out?

MoBo- MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ or Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+
Can someone explain the benefits of one over the other?

RAM- Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB
(Planning on adding a stick down the road.)

PSU- Corsair AX760

GPU- MSI 290x non-reference

CPU-AMD AMD FX-8320

Case-Corsair Obsidian Series 750D

Thank! I really appreciate it!

The G46 has issues with fx 8 cores. Don't get it. 

Are you planning to cf?

Why 290x instead of 290?

Get an aftermarket cooler. Something like a 212 Evo would be good. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The G46 has issues with fx 8 cores. Don't get it. 

Are you planning to cf?

Why 290x instead of 290?

Get an aftermarket cooler. Something like a 212 Evo would be good. 

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Ok so for the first build I'm going to go with

MoBo- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (I want this instead because it's all black)
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB (I'll add another stick in a little)
PSU- Corsair AX860
GPU- Two ASUS 290X DC2OC in crossfire (Using this for mining)
CPU- AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler- Corsair H100i

Case- CM Storm Stryker

And my second will be 

MoBo- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (I want this instead because it's all black, is there a cheaper board that has many of the same feature but cheaper and is black or plain?)
PSU- Corsair AX760
GPU- Single MSI 290
CPU- AMD FX-8320
CPU Cooler- Corsair H60

Case- NZXT Phantom White

Sorry I keep checking, I just want to make sure I get everything 100% right. Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Ok so for the first build I'm going to go with

MoBo- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (I want this instead because it's all black)
PSU- Corsair AX860
GPU- Two ASUS 290X DC2OC in crossfire (Using this for mining)
CPU- AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler- Corsair H100i

Case- CM Storm Stryker

And my second will be 

MoBo- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (I want this instead because it's all black, is there a cheaper board that has many of the same feature but cheaper and is black or plain?)
PSU- Corsair AX760
GPU- Single MSI 290
CPU- AMD FX-8320
CPU Cooler- Corsair H60

Case- NZXT Phantom White

Sorry I keep checking, I just want to make sure I get everything 100% right. Thanks again for the reply.

The mobo you chose is great.

Are you planning to crossfire? If not, the psu is major overkill.

Why the H60/100i? For looks? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For the first build I plan to do crossfire with the 290x's (AX860)

For the second build I plan to use just a single 290 (AX760)

Is the first or second build overkill?

And what exactly do you mean by overkill? Do you mean because it's platinum or the watts are too high?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought water cooling was better than air. The reason I chose those is because I want a pre-built loop instead of having to build one myself. I prefer function over form. So looks aren't a primary concern keeping cool is what I'm more interested in.

Also some people were telling me I should get a AMD A10-7850k not the AMD FX-8350? What do you think?

For the first build I plan to do crossfire with the 290x's (AX860)

For the second build I plan to use just a single 290 (AX760)

Is the first or second build overkill?

And what exactly do you mean by overkill? Do you mean because it's platinum or the watts are too high?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought water cooling was better than air. The reason I chose those is because I want a pre-built loop instead of having to build one myself. I prefer function over form. So looks aren't a primary concern keeping cool is what I'm more interested in.

For a single 290, a decent 600-650w is plenty.

The platinum is simply not needed. The wattage is a bit over the top.

Water cooling is generally better but low end aio's like the h60 are outperformed by higher tiered air coolers. 

Air will do the job more quietly at a lower price. If you spend big bucks, water can be quieter but it can get quiet expensive.

If you're looking for function, just get a 212 Evo. It's plenty for a decent gaming oc.

Isn't the 8320 part of the line of CPU that has an aberrant TDP.

Isn't the 8320 part of the line of CPU that has an aberrant TDP.

What do you mean by aberrant TDP? I know what the words mean but not sure what you mean.

Drop the 290X's down to 290's and possibly upgrade the CPU, or focus on a good case and CPU cooling solution for overclocks.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

What do you mean by aberrant TDP? I know what the words mean but not sure what you mean.

An AMD line of CPU as a TDP that is about or maybe higher than Intel 2011 CPU, IIRC.

My thought was that this could have influence the choice of the cooler.

For a single 290, a decent 600-650w is plenty.

The platinum is simply not needed. The wattage is a bit over the top.

Water cooling is generally better but low end aio's like the h60 are outperformed by higher tiered air coolers. 

Air will do the job more quietly at a lower price. If you spend big bucks, water can be quieter but it can get quiet expensive.

If you're looking for function, just get a 212 Evo. It's plenty for a decent gaming oc.

So I'll change it to a EVGA NEX650G Gold? My last question is should I get an AMD A10-7850k not the AMD FX-8350? And change the motherboard to this Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H because it's a FM2+ socket?

An AMD line of CPU as a TDP that is about or maybe higher than Intel 2011 CPU, IIRC.

My thought was that this could have influence the choice of the cooler.

The fx 8 cores do have have a higher tdp when oc'ed but it's not like you're shooting for 4.8+ ghz...are you?

So I'll change it to a EVGA NEX650G Gold? My last question is should I get an AMD A10-7850k not the AMD FX-8350? And change the motherboard to this Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H because it's a FM2+ socket?

Where are you shopping/located?

Getting the 7850k would be a pretty significant downgrade.

The fx 8 cores do have have a higher tdp when oc'ed but it's not like you're shooting for 4.8+ ghz...are you?

No.

Where are you shopping/located?

Getting the 7850k would be a pretty significant downgrade.

http://pcpartpicker.com I'm located in the USA (east coast)

Ah I see I was going by pricing but I guess it makes sense it's newer so it's going to be more expensive (price to performance wise)

No.

http://pcpartpicker.com I'm located in the USA (east coast)

Ah I see I was going by pricing but I guess it makes sense it's newer so it's going to be more expensive (price to performance wise)

Hmm, there are no good sales on psus at the moment. For the time being, you could go with a cx750m but I'm sure there would be a better option in terms of value in the next day or two.

Drop the 290X's down to 290's and possibly upgrade the CPU, or focus on a good case and CPU cooling solution for overclocks.

From what I heard it seems that CPU will be just fine and with mantle coming out games that support it will be more GPU bound. That's just my understanding.

Hmm, there are no good sales on psus at the moment. For the time being, you could go with a cx750m but I'm sure there would be a better option in terms of value in the next day or two.

I'm in no rush. Can you message me when you see one or tell me what to look for?

I'm in no rush. Can you message me when you see one or tell me what to look for?

I'd keep track of the Rosewill Hive 650, Seasonic 550 G, Rosewill Capstone 550, Antec HCG 620m, and Corsair tx/hx650m to see if any of them goes on sale.

I'd keep track of the Rosewill Hive 650, Seasonic 550 G, Rosewill Capstone 550, Antec HCG 620m, and Corsair tx/hx650m to see if any of them goes on sale.

Ok thanks for all of your help I really do appreciate it!