Should I put this much faith in Mantle?

I'm building a new rig and wanted to know if this makes sense and will there be any major bottle necks or compatibility issues...

MoBo- ASUS M5A99FX PRO
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB
PSU- Corsair AX860

GPU- two 290x in crossfire
Can't choose between SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC or GIGABYTE WINDFORCE is it just down to aesthetics?

CPU-AMD FX-8350
From what I understand Mantle will allow me to use high end GPUs with a mid-range CPU and not have a bottle neck? Does that make sense or have I been lead astray?
I don't plan to overclock at first because I'm going to use the rig for mining 24/7 for the next couple of months. Later on when I'll use it for gaming I plan on overclocking and using a Corsair H80i.

Case- Thermaltake Chaser MK-1

With two 290x s I'm wondering if I should even bother with a case?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe. Mantle is a massive-unknown. The only numbers are the ones AMD has given and guessed. I'm hopeful though. Also I dont necessarily agree with dual 290x's. The performance difference between 290x and 290 isnt very large.

Of course you should bother with a case.

Eh, I wouldn't put that much hope into it. Do a slight CPU boost, say i7 4770K, and I would think that this rig would be perfectly balanced.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

i'd wait for 290 aftermarket coolers because the 290x is a lot more expensive for not much more performance (unless prices are different in your location)

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I'm building a new rig and wanted to know if this makes sense and will there be any major bottle necks or compatibility issues...

MoBo- ASUS M5A99FX PRO
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB
PSU- Corsair AX860

GPU- two 290x in crossfire
Can't choose between SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC or GIGABYTE WINDFORCE is it just down to aesthetics?

CPU-AMD FX-8350
From what I understand Mantle will allow me to use high end GPUs with a mid-range CPU and not have a bottle neck? Does that make sense or have I been lead astray?
I don't plan to overclock at first because I'm going to use the rig for mining 24/7 for the next couple of months. Later on when I'll use it for gaming I plan on overclocking and using a Corsair H80i.

Case- Thermaltake Chaser MK-1

Thanks in advance.

from what I have read the windforce cards run at around 85c at load due to low fan speeds to keep noise levels down, whilst the TriX is a lot more aggressive in terms of sound profile, but both are pretty much the same 

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't want anything to hit my graphics cards and break the PCI-E connector and render the video cards useless, so yeah... Buy a case.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

yes get a case and a 8350 will be fine with 2 290x's but i would wait to see what mantle is like before you get your hopes up. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

In your case you will have a beast rig with almost no bottleneck regardless of mantle.

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

The thing is, it's not like you're investing in Mantle, if you were never considering nVidia in the first place then it's never like Mantle made any sort of bearing on your decision. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Of course you should bother with a case.

Eh, I wouldn't put that much hope into it. Do a slight CPU boost, say i7 4770K, and I would think that this rig would be perfectly balanced.

Come on the 8350 is just fine for gaming.  AMD and several game devs have showcased mantle with 8350s down clocked and it's still GPU bound so one thing we know for sure is that Mantle takes work away from the CPU.

Given that they both have bios switches if the card is too loud just flip the switch or adjust the fan profile.   I would say get the card you like the best from the company you like the best.  Is there a reason why you aren't looking at MSI?

Get a case with good airflow.  Protect your investment.

Also didn't see a power supply what are you planning on using?

1 Timothy 1:15

An FX8350 would be sufficient for modern games, no need to look at Intel Haswell. I have an FX8350 + 2x GTX670 and I don't believe there's a CPU bottleneck, and ll this concern over CPU bottleneck is moot as long as framerate is good enough for smooth gameplay. I'd admit this though, for benchmark enthusiasts, the FX8/9 series cannot compete with Intel's offerings.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

"Should I put this much faith in Mantle?"

No.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The thing is, it's not like you're investing in Mantle, if you were never considering nVidia in the first place then it's never like Mantle made any sort of bearing on your decision. 

I didn't mean it like that. I heard Mantle will allow you to use high end GPUs with a mid-range CPU and not have a bottle neck and was asking weather it would make a difference in my case (two 290x's with a FX-8350) or should I upgrade my CPU.

Come on the 8350 is just fine for gaming.  AMD and several game devs have showcased mantle with 8350s down clocked and it's still GPU bound so one thing we know for sure is that Mantle takes work away from the CPU.

Given that they both have bios switches if the card is too loud just flip the switch or adjust the fan profile.   I would say get the card you like the best from the company you like the best.  Is there a reason why you aren't looking at MSI?

Get a case with good airflow.  Protect your investment.

Also didn't see a power supply what are you planning on using?

I want the card that will run the coolest. That is why I'm going with the sapphire. I really couldn't find any MSI benchmarks can you link me to one? PSU is a Corsair AX860.

http://ow.ly/sqTG5 Just see this benchmarks u'll probably get idea :) Mantle : Let the numbers come out. 

Thanks that actually really helped. I was going to get the Windforce but this changed my mind.

Thanks everyone really helpful stuff.

I didn't mean it like that. I heard Mantle will allow you to use high end GPUs with a mid-range CPU and not have a bottle neck and was asking weather it would make a difference in my case (two 290x's with a FX-8350) or should I upgrade my CPU.

Mantle is still really sketchy at this stage, but either way a 8350 is a potent chip which is not really bottlenecking your two 290Xs, even if you upgrade to something like a 4930K, you won't see much of a tangible performance difference, so there's probably not too much to worry about. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Even if you upgrade your CPU, and your Minfps rises, your average will most likely stay the same.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I want the card that will run the coolest. That is why I'm going with the sapphire. I really couldn't find any MSI benchmarks can you link me to one? PSU is a Corsair AX860.

Thanks that actually really helped. I was going to get the Windforce but this changed my mind.

Thanks everyone really helpful stuff.

Also you know that Mantle will not be in every AAA game right?

You'll still need a decent CPU/GPU if you want to play say the Witcher 3.

Also you know that Mantle will not be in every AAA game right?

You'll still need a decent CPU/GPU if you want to play say the Witcher 3.

Your right it won't be on all AAA games.  My point there was they halfed the clock speed with mantle and it still was to much CPU.  If you are going to say that the 8350 isn't a decent card at stock clocks don't.

1 Timothy 1:15

Go for 2x4GB sticks for ram. Dual channels are always better than one.

My plan was to use it for mining in the beginning, when I start gaming I'll add another stick.

I know I'm probably getting really annoying by now but I'm going to make another gaming PC for someone can you guys check it out?

MoBo- MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ or Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+
Can someone explain the benefits of one over the other?

RAM- Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB
(Planning on adding a stick down the road.)

PSU- Corsair AX760

GPU- MSI 290x non-reference

CPU-AMD AMD FX-8320

Case-Corsair Obsidian Series 750D

Thank! I really appreciate it!