Thinking of anti-viruses

williamcll

Recently the family computers ESET Antivirus expired. I am now wondering if I should just buy a new subscription or switch to another anti-virus, if so, which one?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

there are some great free ones, take a look into those. paid antiviruses aren't worth it imo

Windows 10 have it's own antivirus build in, i never cared for one after win10, they just used up my background process.

But its good to have another layer of protections.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

anti-virus is built in into windows, so you do not neccesarly need an anti-virus

id rather look for anti-malware like Malwarebytes.

windows defender + an free anti-malware is enough for most people. 

if you are really picky id pay for anti-malware.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Windows 10 have it's own antivirus build in, i never cared for one after win10, they just used up my background process.

But its good to have another layer of protections.

Windows 10‘s own antivirus will turn off as soon as you install a 3rd party anti virus program

I can't speak specifically to ESET antivirus as I use the Windows Defender antivirus software built into Windows 10 Home edition but I have to admit, I haven't had any problems with it at all.  I run it in the background and then do a regular full scan on a regular schedule of once a week.  The regular scan is scheduled for when I am out of the house on Tuesdays for a regular meeting that I have so the scan is done when I am out of the house.  So far have not had any problems and I figure who better to know what does and does not affect my machine than the people that made the software that it runs on.  Just my opinion, use Windows Defender on a regular schedule and you'll do fine.

i'll give what I use, this can be background heavy on single cores, but anything higher can run it just fine

Antivirus: AVG/Avast +silent mode

Antimalware: Malwarebytes -not on startup, scan only

Firewall: Comodo firewall -browser -support app +silent mode

Router: Deco m5 with trend micro built in

and it works great for me

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i'll give what I use, this can be background heavy on single cores, but anything higher can run it just fine

Antivirus: AVG/Avast +silent mode

Antimalware: Malwarebytes -not on startup, scan only

Firewall: Comodo firewall -browser -support app +silent mode

Router: Deco m5 with trend micro built in

and it works great for me

now thats i called multiple layers!

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

For me the built-in Windows Defender works best. It's free, no unnecessary pop-ups, it's safe. Every 6-8 weeks I scan my pc with Malwarebytes.
But the most important protection works on layer 8 and is called "common sense".

18 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

now thats i called multiple layers!

Yup. And the best thing is that I only had to pay for the routers. Everything else is free and recommended if you know what you're doing. Comodo can give you a lot of crap with it. Also, does dns count as a security? Then that's another layer

Yeah we've been paying these antivirus companies just to have them funding virus developers to invent new ones so that their software can be the first to tackle it. (i'm just speculating).

When all Microsoft have to do is just making its own antivirus.

Thanks for the input, however, I rarely have time to access to the computer and the rest of the family are not tech-savy, would simply using the in-built Win10 antivirus good enough?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Thanks for the input, however, I rarely have time to access to the computer and the rest of the family are not tech-savy, would simply using the in-built Win10 antivirus good enough?

These days it's a good thing to start with, and scan like once a month with an antimalware too. Our way of security is leakproof, but sometimes a little overkill