Fresh install of windows taking up over 170GB of space?

boey
Go to solution Solved by Teddy07,

Do you possibly have an old windows folder? I suggest deleting it if you do not need any files from there

https://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/

Helo, so I’ve done a fresh install of windows on my friend’s used PC which has a 240GB SSD. When checking file explorer, it says the SSD has 62.5GB free of 237GB? I’m running windows 10. I tried using cleanmgr but it only cleaned a few GB. Is this normal?

Did you wipe all the partitions off of it when doing the clean install?

Image result for windows clean install partitions

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Helo, so I’ve done a fresh install of windows on my friend’s used PC which has a 240GB SSD. When checking file explorer, it says the SSD has 62.5GB free of 237GB? I’m running windows 10. I tried using cleanmgr but it only cleaned a few GB. Is this normal?

no, i have a windows 10 install on a 120gb ssd and lots of free space. probably messed with  the partitions

Have you tried cleaning system files?

Some installation files maybe still in the temp folder.

But mostly windows 10 only used up 50-60gb after install and updates.

Use this program to examine which folders is using the space : Treesize

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Do you possibly have an old windows folder? I suggest deleting it if you do not need any files from there

https://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/

This is a probability.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Yeah, that was the problem. I cleaned it in windows 10 settings and now have 215gb/237gb free. Thanks so much