Case dilemma (NZXT H500/H500i)

nJoy.

Hello everyone, I am currently in the market for computer case. So I am currently really looking into buying NZXT's H500 case. Just not sure if I should get the "smart" one. Price in here where I live is quite good (for some reason). Basic one is ~82 euros and the smart one is 86 euros. Just couple of things that concerns me. First of all, are those included LED's any good? I heard that they are not that good compared to others? I never had any "RGB" in my case. Maybe those can be changed to other? Thanks for your help.

from what i have seen of the smart h500 they look pretty good, just look through youtube at reviews and stuff they will give you a good idea

1 hour ago, nJoy. said:

First of all, are those included LED's any good? I heard that they are not that good compared to others? I never had any "RGB" in my case. Maybe those can be changed to other? Thanks for your help.

the led's in the h500i are nice, nzxt makes good rgb stuff. They can be changed to pretty much any color you can think of with nzxt's software, just make sure that your motherboard has rgb headers that support the voltage of the nzxt rgb strips.

I'll be honest, I was also considering the h500 from nzxt, but it doesn't the greatest airflow. Its not terrible, but not great, so your parts may get a little warmer than you're happy with.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

22 minutes ago, mxk. said:

the led's in the h500i are nice, nzxt makes good rgb stuff. They can be changed to pretty much any color you can think of with nzxt's software, just make sure that your motherboard has rgb headers that support the voltage of the nzxt rgb strips.

I'll be honest, I was also considering the h500 from nzxt, but it doesn't the greatest airflow. Its not terrible, but not great, so your parts may get a little warmer than you're happy with.

Currently I am rocking really old hardware and really old case so I think it would be an improvement from mine. I am open for suggestions really.

Also I thought that case uses USB connector for RGB. I guess I am wrong. After all I never had anything RGB apart logo on my GPU :D

5 hours ago, nJoy. said:

Also I thought that case uses USB connector for RGB. I guess I am wrong. After all I never had anything RGB apart logo on my GPU :D

The included "Smart hub" controls the RGB, and the Smart hub does in fact connect to the motherboard via USB 2.0. 

If it's a 4 euro difference, theres not much reason to not get the i version especially if you like RGB. NZXT's RGB is proprietary and fairly expensive, but it's good RGB otherwise. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

16 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The included "Smart hub" controls the RGB, and the Smart hub does in fact connect to the motherboard via USB 2.0. 

If it's a 4 euro difference, theres not much reason to not get the i version especially if you like RGB. NZXT's RGB is proprietary and fairly expensive, but it's good RGB otherwise. 

Agreed. If the difference is really only 4€ there's no point in skipping the i-version even if you don't like the "smart hub" after all. The difference is usually ~40-60€. If I remember correctly there are some projects on the web that offer software packages translating to NZXT's proprietary DRGB protocol. Check github for more details. Their software looks nice (probably the nicest GUI out there) but there are some reports on bugs. Probably ok though if you stick to NZXT RGB stuff. I've read good reviews on their digitally monitored PSUs. They can be monitored and controlled with their CAM software as well. 

I personally really like the look of their AER RGB fans.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

11 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Agreed. If the difference is really only 4€ there's no point in skipping the i-version even if you don't like the "smart hub" after all. The difference is usually ~40-60€. If I remember correctly there are some projects on the web that offer software packages translating to NZXT's proprietary DRGB protocol. Check github for more details. Their software looks nice (probably the nicest GUI out there) but there are some reports on bugs. Probably ok though if you stick to NZXT RGB stuff. I've read good reviews on their digitally monitored PSUs. They can be monitored and controlled with their CAM software as well. 

I personally really like the look of their AER RGB fans.

I am not actually really a fan of RGB, but it does add a bit to a case. After all, if you have side panel window you will probably want to see whats inside. I wont need much of it, most likely strips that are included in the case will be more than enough for me. Thank you guys for your help!