NordVPN

XR6

So here is my review of NordVPN since I have nothing to do at 1am.

What is NordVPN?

NordVPN is a VPN service that supports up to 6 devices connecting simultaneously, aswell as Double VPN, Dedicated IP, P2P and Onion Over VPN.

It offers servers in dozens of locations around the world and offers a quick and easy to use service.

Pros

- No data logging

- Good speeds

- Easy to use

- Great value

Cons

- Occasionally the IP can show a different location (My computer once showed an IP in Pakistan rather than a British IP)

- Only 6 devices can simultaneously connect

- No free plan

- Loads of traffic from the same datacenter can make Google triggered

How fast are the speeds?

My ISP provides me a speed of 109Mbps down and 8Mbps up without VPN activated.

Connected to the United Kingdom #834 server, I got 106Mbps down and 5.8Mbps up. 

Connected to the United States #2389 server, I got 51.4Mbps down and 4Mbps up. 

All of these tests were performed at 1am (GMT) during the time when VPN servers are not really utilized, so prepare for an average speed of around 30Mbps down and 4Mbps.

Conclusion

NordVPN is a great VPN service. It's easy to use, they don't log your data and the speeds are great (for a VPN service). I highly recommend them if you're looking for a VPN service.

I give NordVPN 8/10. They're not entirely perfect. The IP location issue can cause Google to think your account is at risk of being hacked and NordVPN just gives up with 3G data. You need 4G (preferably 4G+) or fibre optic internet to get the most out of NordVPN on your phone/tablet/PC. 

This is my first review so please feel free to correct any mistakes I have made. Please feel free to leave constructive criticism too. :) 

Edit: I connected to a UK nordvpn server and I got german google and youtube. Maybe this geolocation thing is more common than I thought.

Some of the cons listed are common with many VPNs.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yep, but they're also cons with this VPN lol. 

On 11/24/2018 at 2:27 PM, AluminiumTech said:

On 11/24/2018 at 3:42 PM, 1kv said:

Yep, but they're also cons with this VPN lol. 

It's good to list them as cons, some might not know those issues exist with VPN services. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't understand how people experience anything good with NordVPN given my experience. Glad to hear it works for you though. 

Have you experiences a lot of IP bans when trying to visit different sites? Amazon refuses to even reply to my connections is Nord is running. PIA works fine though :/.

One of the things you might try is forcing your device to use a specific DNS server. Nord's DNS servers are 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100. 99% of the time I don't have an issue. Still though, every time I connect I preform a DNS leak test http://dnsleak.com/ and once in a blue moon something will be off. As someone else mentioned, it's rather common with VPN's. But again, as I found, if you tell your device to use their DNS servers you'll pretty much be set.

@BakugoHero I seldom have that issue. Usually the website (in your case Amazon) will figure out the more common VPN servers for a particular service and block traffic from it. Netflix is a really good example of this. It's annoying especially when you're not even trying to connect from a different country, you just simply want security/anonymity. You might try switching servers to a different location.

Cheers!

On 12/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, BakugoHero said:

I still don't understand how people experience anything good with NordVPN given my experience. Glad to hear it works for you though. 

Have you experiences a lot of IP bans when trying to visit different sites? Amazon refuses to even reply to my connections is Nord is running. PIA works fine though :/.

For me, Amazon is extremely slow unless it's Amazon UK.

Also yes, I get a few IP bans now and again but usually it's alright.

The South Africa servers, while slow are actually very good since they don't get IP banned a whole lot.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

One of the things you might try is forcing your device to use a specific DNS server. Nord's DNS servers are 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100. 99% of the time I don't have an issue. Still though, every time I connect I preform a DNS leak test http://dnsleak.com/ and once in a blue moon something will be off. As someone else mentioned, it's rather common with VPN's. But again, as I found, if you tell your device to use their DNS servers you'll pretty much be set.

@BakugoHero I seldom have that issue. Usually the website (in your case Amazon) will figure out the more common VPN servers for a particular service and block traffic from it. Netflix is a really good example of this. It's annoying especially when you're not even trying to connect from a different country, you just simply want security/anonymity. You might try switching servers to a different location.

Cheers!

I used to use 1.1.1.1 as my DNS but I haven't changed it since it got reset to default as I've completely forgot.

I'm pretty impressed with the amount of detail you put into that post, I learned something new today :)