Is Seasonic M12II-620 EVO still good in 2018?

xpresive

As i read, Seasonic has been the best psu maker in the market, it has the best reliability and stability, i'm currently building my new pc and at the end of build i started thinking about PSU, which to get. I came across Seasonic M12II-620 EVO because it has black sleeved cables or just black cables and that it is seasonic and on good tier, great components. So, is Seasonic M12II-620 EVO still good in 2018 build? Can it power up and use full potential of new features and can it handle overclock of cpu+gpu? Also, maybe you could suggest other PSU instead of seasonic, which will be equal or better to it with the build quality (tier). My PSU requirements : 600+ Watts, 80plus, black sleeved or black rubber cables, good quality, same or lower price as seasonic.

1 minute ago, xpresive said:

So, is Seasonic M12II-620 EVO still good in 2018 build?

It wasn't good when it was released 6 or 7 years ago.

Happy to help you pick something else. What components are you using (CPU, GPU)? What is your budget? What country are you buying in?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I got one just last month but I returned it. I didn't like the noise profile. The rest of it was alright as far as I could tell.

6 minutes ago, xpresive said:

As i read, Seasonic has been the best psu maker in the market, it has the best reliability and stability

All three of those are wrong. And you can't generalise by brand, as all are equally capable of selling crap. 

7 minutes ago, xpresive said:

So, is Seasonic M12II-620 EVO still good in 2018 build?

If high noise, poor performance, lacking protections, and a silly high price is something you're looking for, sure. If you want something that's quiet, performs well, and has all the necessary protections, get something else. 

8 minutes ago, xpresive said:

My PSU requirements : 600+ Watts, 80plus, black sleeved or black rubber cables, good quality, same or lower price as seasonic.

If you need 600W, I'm assuming you can afford a very high end PSU. Something that costs way more than the M12 II usually does. 

The pricing and availability varies by country, so we can't really recommend anything. 

:)

No, the to go budget PSU now is the CXM line up.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It wasn't good when it was released 6 or 7 years ago.

Happy to help you pick something else. What components are you using (CPU, GPU)? What is your budget? What country are you buying in?

Well, i'm in europe, my build would eat at load 600 watts, rn it would eat less, but i will upgrade gpu later and will oc later, i did calculations on psu count website. I have seasonic s12ii and i'm happy with it, I would have bought same, but 24 pin cable is only in black sock, cables arent black and its not modular :/ (idrc about modularity, since my case will hide psu with all its cables)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

All three of those are wrong. And you can't generalise by brand, as all are equally capable of selling crap. 

If high noise, poor performance, lacking protections, and a silly high price is something you're looking for, sure. If you want something that's quiet, performs well, and has all the necessary protections, get something else. 

If you need 600W, I'm assuming you can afford a very high end PSU. Something that costs way more than the M12 II usually does. 

The pricing and availability varies by country, so we can't really recommend anything. 

not rly, i dont want to spend fortune on psu as i can spend the money better on other components, im searching for good value psu, the one that has black sleeved cables and thats it. Also the one that isnt noisy.

Um, I'll start with No I previously had a similar argue with people on this forum. I am currently with the same PSU paired with i7 7700 and GTX 1080 and it's working fine, I haven't found to be noisy actually non at all, but it could be just me. It is a bit pricy and old, so I don't recommend it as for the same price you can buy a newer Seasonic Focus Gold Plus

Just now, xpresive said:

not rly, i dont want to spend fortune on psu as i can spend the money better on other components, im searching for good value psu, the one that has black sleeved cables and thats it. Also the one that isnt noisy.

What are you planning on powering, then? 600W is roughly what you'd get with overclocked SLI GTX 1080s and a high end mainstream platform CPU. If you can afford $900 worth of GPUs and $350 worth of CPU, you can afford a good PSU. 

:)

Real talk, my build is ryzen2600 + gtx 760 + led strip inside + 4 120mm rgb fans etc. I want 600W for future, if i want to OC 2600, i would prob use better cooler, like liquid one, another thing is that i will buy better gpu anyway, and i will prob oc it too, so i want 600W just for future profness.

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

Um, I'll start with No I previously had a similar argue with people on this forum. I am currently with the same PSU paired with i7 7700 and GTX 1080 and it's working fine, I haven't found to be noisy actually non at all, but it could be just me. It is a bit pricy and old, so I don't recommend it as for the same price you can buy a newer Seasonic Focus Gold Plus

That psu in my country costs +40 euro than m12ii :/

1 minute ago, xpresive said:

That psu in my country costs +40 euro than m12ii :/

Watch for the 550/650W you don't need more than that with your current build

Just now, voiha said:

Watch for the 550/650W you don't need more than that with your current build

As i told, the price difference between 550W is 40 euro. I just need PSU that will be good quality, durable, silent, 80, black sleeved cables or black rubberized and 600W+, thats it. If any of PSU that is better or same tier, quality than M12II and that price is equal to it, let me know.

2 minutes ago, xpresive said:

Well, i'm in europe, my build would eat at load 600 watts, rn it would eat less, but i will upgrade gpu later and will oc later, i did calculations on psu count website. I have seasonic s12ii and i'm happy with it, I would have bought same, but 24 pin cable is only in black sock, cables arent black and its not modular :/ (idrc about modularity, since my case will hide psu with all its cables)

PSU calculators aren't very accurate, they tend to overestimate things. Most single GPU systems can be powered with 550W or less.

Just now, xpresive said:

Real talk, my build is ryzen2600 + gtx 760 + led strip inside + 4 120mm rgb fans etc. I want 600W for future, if i want to OC 2600, i would prob use better cooler, like liquid one, another thing is that i will buy better gpu anyway, and i will prob oc it too, so i want 600W just for future profness.

Your current build would use up to 300W under load. If you're planning to upgrade the GPU to something like a 1080 or 1080Ti and want some extra headroom for overclocking, then go with a decent 550W unit. 550W is more than enough for that system with a single GPU.

2 minutes ago, xpresive said:

As i told, the price difference between 550W is 40 euro. I just need PSU that will be good quality, durable, silent, 80, black sleeved cables or black rubberized and 600W+, thats it. If any of PSU that is better or same tier, quality than M12II and that price is equal to it, let me know.

Bitfenix Formula, Corsair CX/CXm, and CoolerMaster Masterwatt 550W all have fully black cables. They should also be reasonably priced.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Bitfenix Formula, Corsair CX/CXm, and CoolerMaster Masterwatt 550W all have fully black cables. They should also be reasonably priced.

as a cx550m user I approve this message. the cxm series isn't the best, but great for the price

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

PSU calculators aren't very accurate, they tend to overestimate things. Most single GPU systems can be powered with 550W or less.

Your current build would use up to 300W under load. If you're planning to upgrade the GPU to something like a 1080 or 1080Ti and want some extra headroom for overclocking, then go with a decent 550W unit. 550W is more than enough for that system with a single GPU.

price is near m12ii 620W with CX550m , but i'am afraid that it wont be enough for future, as my 4 120mm fans has RGB, OC 4.2GHZ <1.3v cpu with liquid cooling, overclocking GTX1080Ti and having adressable rgb strip going arround case

What about cooler master masterwatt? Found this model : MPX-6501-AMAAB-EU 65 Euro

3 minutes ago, xpresive said:

price is near m12ii 620W with CX550m , but i'am afraid that it wont be enough for future, as my 4 120mm fans has RGB, OC 4.2GHZ <1.3v cpu with liquid cooling, overclocking GTX1080Ti and having adressable rgb strip going arround case

People are using Ryzen 7 and GTX 1080 Ti with solid 450W units and they are fine. 
What about Pure Power 10 CM? Black, semi-modular, black cables, should be close to M12II in price

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

10 minutes ago, xpresive said:

I will drop internet shop link, if you can, go ahead, look it up, the prices elsewhere are kinda same.

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/min/price-50/2

As someone who was looking at the same shops a hour or two ago, I'd recommend to get this if you don't care about modular cables : https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/be_quiet_pure_power_10_500w_bn273

Or semi modular version for like €10 more

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

2 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

As someone who was looking at the same shops a hour or two ago, I'd recommend to get this if you don't care about modular cables : https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/be_quiet_pure_power_10_500w_bn273

Or semi modular version for like €10 more

How about Corsair Vengeance 650M Bronze? It seems like solid psu, semi-modular and also it is on tier 2

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/corsair_vengeance_psu_650w

500W seems too little for me :/

9 minutes ago, xpresive said:

I will drop internet shop link, if you can, go ahead, look it up, the prices elsewhere are kinda same.

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/min/price-50/2

The price of the M12II 620W on that site is $75, so I'll use that as your budget. These are all units that have fully black cables (AFAIK, double check before buying).

These are in no particular order...

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/corsair_txm_series_550w_cp9020133eu

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/be_quiet_pure_power_10_500w_bn273

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/cooler_master_masterwatt_550w_mpx5501amaabeu

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/corsair_atx_24_cx550m_550w_cp9020102eu

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/corsair_cx_series_550w_cp9020121eu

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/cooler_master_masterwatt_650w_mpx6501amaabeu

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/seasonic_focus_plus_450w_gold

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/be_quiet_pure_power_10_500w_cm_bn277

5 minutes ago, xpresive said:

How about Corsair Vengeance 650M Bronze? It seems like solid psu, semi-modular and also it is on tier 2

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/corsair_vengeance_psu_650w

500W seems too little for me :/

500W will be enough. 2700 with 1080 Ti draws around 300W at load.

There's this as well:
https://www.kilobaitas.lt/Korpusu_mait_saltiniai/XILENCE/CASE_PSU_ATX24_550W/XN071_XIL/XN071/CatalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_403&amp;ID=725507

Not perfectly black, but close enough?
PSU-Whole.jpg

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Just now, xpresive said:

thanks for searching, but why have you skipped corsair vengance 650m bronze?

I don't know anything about the unit, and I only looked at the first page for my search results.