Is Seasonic M12II-620 EVO still good in 2018?

xpresive
10 minutes ago, xpresive said:

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/111077-cooler-master-masterwatt-650w/?page=5

Here is Ripple review, is it decent/good? The whole review of masterwatt

Well, here in Germany its too expensive and I really don't like that they removed two caps that the Cougar LX had...

And its too similar to the be quiet System Power 9, wich is much cheaper here (10€)...

And why are you still so hung up on the 650W Crap?! You don't have an LGA20xx or will ever have it. You probably won't have an 1080ti, so what the heck do you want with a 650W?!

You should look more at quality!!

Its like a 2200W Electrotool from some no Name Chinesium manufacturer and a 1500W Bosch (the blue one) or Makita tool. Wich one would you rather have?

So want a good, lower wattage one that might even last longer or a worse one with "MOAR WATT"; that you load with 50% and don't last too long and isn't too great either.

PS: Ryzen 7/1700X with _TWO_ Radeon HD7970GHz/280X on Prime 95 and Heaven Benchmark, still under 550W...
MEASURED, not guessed or believed!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well, here in Germany its too expensive and I really don't like that they removed two caps that the Cougar LX had...

And its too similar to the be quiet System Power 9, wich is much cheaper here (10€)...

And why are you still so hung up on the 650W Crap?! You don't have an LGA20xx or will ever have it. You probably won't have an 1080ti, so what the heck do you want with a 650W?!

You should look more at quality!!

Its like a 2200W Electrotool from some no Name Chinesium manufacturer and a 1500W Bosch (the blue one) or Makita tool. Wich one would you rather have?

So want a good, lower wattage one that might even last longer or a worse one with "MOAR WATT"; that you load with 50% and don't last too long and isn't too great either.

PS: Ryzen 7/1700X with _TWO_ Radeon HD7970GHz/280X on Prime 95 and Heaven Benchmark, still under 550W...
MEASURED, not guessed or believed!

ok, i came down to MasterWatt 550W or CX550, I hate corsair, are they offering people money to not talk about products or what, those two psu's release 2017 and masterwatt has much more reviews and tests online than cx550 ( I can't even find one page that tests it. ) cx550 is blank. Since theyre price here 68 euro, masterwatt modular , cx550 not but i dont really care about modularity, im wondering which one is build more durable and with higher quality.

Looking at the website you're buying from, the Masterwatt is cheaper than the CX550, so grab the masterwatt. There's only 2 euro difference between the 550W and 650W Masterwatts, so if for whatever reason 650W is important to you then just grab the 650W variant.

The cables are also fully black (on both models) which is what you wanted.
image.png.4c4a90ced7270da151163367ae369fa1.png

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/cooler_master_masterwatt_650w_mpx6501amaabeu

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Looking at the website you're buying from, the Masterwatt is cheaper than the CX550, so grab the masterwatt. There's only 2 euro difference between the 550W and 650W Masterwatts, so if for whatever reason 650W is important to you then just grab the 650W variant.

The cables are also fully black (on both models) which is what you wanted.
image.png.4c4a90ced7270da151163367ae369fa1.png

https://www.1a.lt/kompiuteriu_komponentai_tinklo_produktai/korpusas_ir_ausinimas/maitinimo_blokai/cooler_master_masterwatt_650w_mpx6501amaabeu

True, but masterwatt uses teapoo inside which ppl arent positive about, and I'll have to wait :/ its only one store that priced it that way, but i've found other store which also priced same, but still I can't find any CX550 reviews that reviews it from the inside, what the hell. Story time: I've had Codegen PSU in 4670k+760 which was ghetto as i know, or cheap, but it held like 3 years or more without bad thing, but then it started making noises due to fan bearing fail, so i changed fan inside of it, in the end it started to smell like burnt plastic when i would start gaming and after few of those times it died with cracking noises ^^ then i bought Seasonic S12II-620 and im happy. Thats why i wanted M12II which is not that bad as ppl are saying here...

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Oh dear...

You clearly have no idea what we are talking about.

And what makes it "new Version"? What's new about it?

Again, its an old design, group regulated and lacks protection. That makes it a bad unit. And you don't seem to be able to test these things it seems...

It might, yes.

And if something goes wrong, something might explode as protections are hardly working...

The sucessor to the S12II was announced like 4 years ago or so, so its worked on but still not released...

Dude, read up on that stuff and stop being such a nice person.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

1) It doesn't matter who makes the PSU. It matters what you want, you want to pay, specify and so on

2) Making stuff yourself is NOT better than letting someone who knows his stuff do it for you. You might have to pay a bit money for that but that's all you loose. The one doing it for you has the knowledge of how to make it and the necessary machines (only a couple of 100k € for a simple Setup or more)

3) My first computer also was a C64, so what?! That doesn't make me Jesus or something else. It only makes you old.

And yes, you know nothing, especially since everything you've learned at the time of the C64 you can throw down the toilet, has nothing to do with how things work. Not even the Power Supplys. 

And especially the things that changed in the last couple of years are immense.

But since you know it:
Pls tell us the difference between Flyback, Double Forward, Active Clamp Reset and LLC-Resonant mode Topologies. Since you know it, you should be able to tell us the difference, right?

Yeah, probably the ones that were made by Seasonic...

Safe to say you have hijacked this thread titled Is Seasonic M12II-620 EVO still good in 2018?

I answered the question the OP had saying that I personally had a Seasonic 620w M12II PSU. Apparently I was interrupting an intellectual conversation regarding the finer points of high end PSU's that had little or nothing to do with the title of the thread.

6 hours ago, Columbo said:

Safe to say you have hijacked this thread titled Is Seasonic M12II-620 EVO still good in 2018?

You can go there and inform yourself about it a bit more:

But stop defending this unit, its not good.

6 hours ago, Columbo said:

I answered the question the OP had saying that I personally had a Seasonic 620w M12II PSU. Apparently I was interrupting an intellectual conversation regarding the finer points of high end PSU's that had little or nothing to do with the title of the thread.

Read the Thread.

You're just defending it because you bought it and can't admit that you bought crap that's no good and that there are better options on the Market for the same or less money that have working protections and no 12V Rail dependant on the 5V and vice versa.

A modern PSU shouldn't rev up the fan to 2000rpm at medium load.

Here another Review where the Seasonic S12II-Bronze variant did look pretty bad:
computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/

The XFX XT (zweite Revision) is the Seasonic one...

Yeah, I absolutely want that - NOT...

8 hours ago, xpresive said:

True, but masterwatt uses teapoo inside which ppl arent positive about, and I'll have to wait

Doesn't matter much as Teapo, when in a well designed PSU, don't fail that soon or often.

As I tried to tell you, the Caps are not relevant when the Rest of the PSU is crap or lacking.

If you want a good PSU with good caps, you have to invest more money, simple as that...

And having (seemingly) good caps when the rest is crap isn't a benefit for you. Especially since the Caps aren't what kills modern PSU!

We're talking about MOSFET failures or exploding +5VSB Chips. Caps are rarely an issue these days...

As for Seasonic: You hear from all sides that they might die and they don't seem as reliable as people dream them to be. The S12II tends to fail in the PFC Stage. And there are a couple of mentions of that.

its only one store that priced it that way, but i've found other store which also priced same, but still I can't find any CX550 reviews that reviews it from the inside, what the hell.

Blame Corsair for not sending out samples (and the Reviewers for not asking for it)...

Still, to be better than the S12II is not hard. Hell even some cheap stuff like the Master Watt Lite isn't that much worse...

Its one of the worst named brand units you can buy right now and the Capacitors are just there to make you think the unit is better than it really is. If you ignore that, you have a budget unit that competes with the lowest end System Integrator stuff from other Manufacturers. At this point I'd say that the Corsair VS is better than S12II and that's the worst Corsair has to offer...

Some other Companys phased out all Group Regulated units under 400W in ATX.

The Xilence Performance A+ and X is also way better than S12II, that one kinda competes with the Performance C...

then i bought Seasonic S12II-620 and im happy. Thats why i wanted M12II which is not that bad as ppl are saying here...

It is as bad as you are not able to test voltage regulation or other stuff.

Your PC don't seem to be on the higher end either, so its not loaded over ~250-300W wich lets the fan spin up.

I have some higher end Stuff (=higher power consumption), wich made the Enermax Triathlor 450W I had at one time really loud and annoying. Wich is why I sold that unit...

Same with the Seasonic G-Series, that one also tends to be a bit on the louder side at medium to higher loads. 

The things that make the S12II bad are:
a) lacking Protection -> No Over Current/Overload on any rail, only the general over power Protection is present, no UVP on +12V, no OTP.

b) high fan RPM at medium load (due to tiny heatsinks)

c) bad voltage regulation due to regulating +12V and 5V with one point of regulation. Good PSU regulate both independantly of each other. And that becomes the standard today. Only the cheapest "System Integrator" Stuff from 

Wiithout knowing what to look for, you don't and can't know why a certain unit isn't good...

And because it works for you doesn't tell you too much because testing PSU is really hard and you need really high end/expensive stuff...