forum post reporting data

mr moose

Just curious, I'd love to know how many of my posts have been reported.  I don't want to know which ones or why, just how many.  Is there any data stored on this or any other metric that we wouldn't normal see as users?

I think it would be good to see how many of my posts have been deleted/hidden, how many reported etc. 

Am I alone?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I believe that the right database query should be able to pull up that information with ease, but I'm not sure of any easy way I could find that out as a normal mod with access only to the website, and certainly there is no way a normal user could get that information at this time.  Whether or not that could or would be changed in the future is another story.

edit: I feel this belongs in feature suggestions as it's the kind of thing an admin needs to answer for you from a rules and technical perspective, and this is where that will happen.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I believe that the right database query should be able to pull up that information with ease, but I'm not sure of any easy way I could find that out as a normal mod with access only to the website, and certainly there is no way a normal user could get that information at this time.  Whether or not that could or would be changed in the future is another story.

edit: I feel this belongs in feature suggestions as it's the kind of thing an admin needs to answer for you from a rules and technical perspective, and this is where that will happen.

Yer, it's more a curiosity thing than a suggestion. 

EDIT: also I thought it might spur on some general conversation as people start to consider if they have reports against their posts and if they would even care. if people start to consider these things.  Or I might be the only one. ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ignorance is bliss. There's not going to be any benefit from knowing how many of your posts have been reported, and if anything it will just create a more negative environment/experience on the forum. Most people don't take criticism too well.

For moderation staff there's little benefit in knowing how many reports have been made against a user, as a report may not necessarily reflect something that requires action or even be correct. They already have a Warning Points system in place for when a report has been validated and action has been taken against a user. You can view how many Warning Points you have received on your profile. Your warning points are hidden from other users, but I assume visible to forum moderators.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yer, it's more a curiosity thing than a suggestion. 

EDIT: also I thought it might spur on some general conversation as people start to consider if they have reports against their posts and if they would even care. if people start to consider these things.  Or I might be the only one. ?

As a general rule, if you've been in an argument that went on for several pages before, chances are someone's reported you at least once.  Just being reported doesn't inherently have any meaning though.  We review everything and take appropriate action when we deem it's necessary. 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Ignorance is bliss. There's not going to be any benefit from knowing how many of your posts have been reported, and if anything it will just create a more negative environment/experience on the forum. Most people don't take criticism too well.

I must be the odd one out,  I actually prefer honest down to earth criticism,  in fact I loath with a passion when people sugar coat, I don't learn anything from it.

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

For moderation staff there's little benefit in knowing how many reports have been made against a user, as a report may not necessarily reflect something that requires action or even be correct. They already have a Warning Points system in place for when a report has been validated and action has been taken against a user. You can view how many Warning Points you have received on your profile. Your warning points are hidden from other users, but I assume visible to forum moderators.

I wasn't considering for moderation staff, I was just curious to know how many of my posts have been off topic enough or off CS enough to warrant being deleted.  Or have drawn the ire of fellow forum users.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I must be the odd one out,  I actually prefer honest down to earth criticism,  in fact I loath with a passion when people sugar coat, I don't learn anything from it.

I wasn't considering for moderation staff, I was just curious to know how many of my posts have been off topic enough or off CS enough to warrant being deleted.  Or have drawn the ire of fellow forum users.

As for anything that's been deleted, generally speaking that would be accompanied by being warned or at the very least notified, particularly if it's part of a "big deal", but if it's just one stray post here or there we do sometimes remove it without bothering to make a big deal over it.  Those types of things are usually singular off-colour remarks that weren't quoting anyone and were not replied to.  If the post has "intellectual value", generally that wouldn't go away without a notification and a reason.

So in summary you should be relatively aware of the times you've had posts removed and that should give you some idea of how many it might be.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

i feel like you may be looking in the wrong direction for this.

people can report your posts basicly at will, if they feel like their perfect little bubble has been impacted by your statement. it really only has valitdity when mods/admins decide you went too far and take action accordingly.

as for reporting these figures to users... i kinda feel like it'd become some sort of "chinese citizen social score" system very fast...

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i feel like you may be looking in the wrong direction for this.

people can report your posts basicly at will, if they feel like their perfect little bubble has been impacted by your statement. it really only has valitdity when mods/admins decide you went too far and take action accordingly.

Oh I know that, I'm actually pretty good at accounting for such things.

as for reporting these figures to users... i kinda feel like it'd become some sort of "chinese citizen social score" system very fast...

Yeah, I think that data would have to be only for the eyes of the individual in question. unless they want to tell everyone of course.

Just now, mr moose said:

Yeah, I think that data would have to be only for the eyes of the individual in question. unless they want to tell everyone of course.

even if it's just for the individual's eyes, its still a very odd concept to just give them a metric of how much the mods found they had to step in.. and wether others can see it or not, it may have some weird effects on how people see their own actions on the forum.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

even if it's just for the individual's eyes, its still a very odd concept to just give them a metric of how much the mods found they had to step in.. and wether others can see it or not, it may have some weird effects on how people see their own actions on the forum.

Now that I'd like to see,  Because the first thing popped into my head was if people change their behaviour based on how they think people are reacting to their posts then maybe they will be nicer.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Now that I'd like to see,  Because the first thing popped into my head was if people change their behaviour based on how they think people are reacting to their posts then maybe they will be nicer.

thats how you'd think it happens, but it tends to lead towards people "nudging the limits", because you have very clear feedback of when you do cross limits. also in heated debates, if one side has the perception they are getting slammed harder than the other (because y'know, direct feedback ;)) they may turn towards accusing mods of being biased in some way.

remember AMD/intel or AMD/NVIDIA debates acj in the day? yeah.. that would have been a LOT worse..

thats how you'd think it happens, but it tends to lead towards people "nudging the limits", because you have very clear feedback of when you do cross limits. also in heated debates, if one side has the perception they are getting slammed harder than the other (because y'know, direct feedback ;)) they may turn towards accusing mods of being biased in some way.

remember AMD/intel or AMD/NVIDIA debates acj in the day? yeah.. that would have been a LOT worse..

Oh that happens all the time.  You know that I am currently an Intel, AMD, Nvidia and Apple fanboy.   And to be honest the only Computer I would die defending against homicide/genocide/racism and homophobia chargers is the C64.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Oh that happens all the time.  You know that I am currently an Intel, AMD, Nvidia and Apple fanboy.   And to be honest the only Computer I would die defending against homicide/genocide/racism and homophobia chargers is the C64.

ZX spectrum was obviously way better ;)

/s

i just feel like it'd do more to feed the drama, than settle it.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

ZX spectrum was obviously way better ;)

/s

i just feel like it'd do more to feed the drama, than settle it.

ZX spectrum???, while we're burning money on useless hardware lets just by a betamax. ?

Maybe, I just want to know what mine is.

Also this thread was moved here from general, I never meant it to be an actual suggestion for the forum, I was just curious.

If people knew when their posts were being reported they would probably figure out who it is (or at least guess) and then turn even more strongly against them.  We already see cases sometimes where one user PMs a mod hoping to see some action taken against someone else, and I feel like this would just cause a more dramatic form of that.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If people knew when their posts were being reported they would probably figure out who it is (or at least guess) and then turn even more strongly against them.  We already see cases sometimes where one user PMs a mod hoping to see some action taken against someone else, and I feel like this would just cause a more dramatic form of that.

Do we have that many children on here?  do I even need to ask?  sorry....   ?

Just now, mr moose said:

Do we have that many children on here?  do I even need to ask?  sorry....   ?

I can say confidently that the number of people we deal with who would take the information regarding how often they're reported positively are in the minority.

I can say confidently that the number of people we deal with who would take the information regarding how often they're reported positively are in the minority.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised,.

i would be curious to see how many i've reported (the mods probably hate me XD) and how many of them were actioned

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

The biggest pet peeve I have against mods on most forums (not necessarily this one) is when mods take action on a post without notifying the poster that action was taken and why it was taken. Even worse is when a mod edits a post without indicating in the post that it had been moderated.

Even worse than that is when the moderation changes the meaning of what the poster intended. To be completely fair, I have the same beef against posters who partially quote someone without indicating the quote is a partial (look up "ellipsis" if you don't know how) and, worse still, basing the comment on the partial quote being out of context (politicians love to employ that atrocity).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, Arika S said:

i would be curious to see how many i've reported (the mods probably hate me XD) and how many of them were actioned

That is something I could look up, but it would be a lot of manual adding

4 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

[...] Even worse is when a mod edits a post without indicating in the post that it had been moderated.[...]

This is something we have a very clear rule on internally.  When editing a post (which is not common anyway), we always mark it as edited, and should give a reason.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That is something I could look up, but it would be a lot of manual adding

This is something we have a very clear rule on internally.  When editing a post (which is not common anyway), we always mark it as edited, and should give a reason.

I recall being moderated here only once and did receive a PM about it so can't really say about LTT, but I've had the problem on other forums. I left an RV forum because a new mod decided that post quotes ate up too much forum memory and started wholesale deleting the quotes. That rendered many of my posts (and the posts of others) looking kind of stupid because they were rendered out of context. Other mods were know to modify posts in a way to change the meaning. Complaints fell on deaf ears (eyes?) so I left.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

23 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I recall being moderated here only once and did receive a PM about it so can't really say about LTT, but I've had the problem on other forums. I left an RV forum because a new mod decided that post quotes ate up too much forum memory and started wholesale deleting the quotes. That rendered many of my posts (and the posts of others) looking kind of stupid because they were rendered out of context. Other mods were know to modify posts in a way to change the meaning. Complaints fell on deaf ears (eyes?) so I left.

Hm, well I can't claim to know the whole story there, which I assume there must have been, but that does sound rather silly.  Certainly not something we would do here.  The only reason we would edit a post is if there is genuinely good information mixed in with CS-breaking material.  That way we can keep the helpful part.  If it's all garbage we just remove the whole thing.

Hm, well I can't claim to know the whole story there, which I assume there must have been, but that does sound rather silly.  Certainly not something we would do here.  The only reason we would edit a post is if there is genuinely good information mixed in with CS-breaking material.  That way we can keep the helpful part.  If it's all garbage we just remove the whole thing.

A lot of people were complaining about the absurd moderation at the time I left.

Jeannie