Describe your audio setup

zrmaxwell

Do as the title says, please. Be nice when replying to someone. Give suggestions on how that person can improve their setup. What headphones should they get next? What amplifiers/DACs should they look into? Things like that. 

9 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

I'm sure moderators will be watching over this post like hawks. ? 

I don't think so lol

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

My current setup is my headphones (DT990 250 ohms) connected to the 3.5mm output of my monitor :D works fine in terms of volume and quality IMO.

I have been looking into audio mixing boards though, to connect a my stuff to so I can easily play for example my consoles on my TV and the audio coming through my headphones (or even speakers). Haven't found anything substantial and haven't done much research in making one myself... So soon!

Don't have apicture at the moment, sorry :[ will clean the hot garbage known as my setup and post a picture some time

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 minutes ago, Minibois said:

My current setup is my headphones (DT990 250 ohms) connected to the 3.5mm output of my monitor :D works fine in terms of volume and quality IMO.

I have been looking into audio mixing boards though, to connect a my stuff to so I can easily play for example my consoles on my TV and the audio coming through my headphones (or even speakers). Haven't found anything substantial and haven't done much research in making one myself... So soon!

Don't have apicture at the moment, sorry :[ will clean the hot garbage known as my setup and post a picture some time

I will add in the description of my post that pics are not necessary. 

PSA for this thread: You do not have to post pictures of your audio setup. That is not necessary but it is always welcome :)

I'm currently using a pair of JBL 305P MkII studio speakers mounted on wall mounts. I bought them to replace my beloved Corsair SP2500s that recently died (may they rest in peace). I used to feed the SP2500s from an Asus Xonar Essence STX (the first version). The only complaint I have about the JBLs is they do not have any dynamic range compression like the SP2500s had.

Until I get my computer finished, I'm using a Dragonfly Red USB DAC on my notebook to feed the speakers via a pair of Monoprice 15ft Premier Series XLR Male to RCA Male Cable, 16AWG and a 3.5mm male to RCA female adapter. The sound is acutally better from the combination than my old setup.

My player currently is Media Monkey but I'm looking for a replacement that will work on Win 7 and, later on down the road, Linux (probably Mint Cinnamon or Xorin) and will have dynamic range compression. So far, VLC media player is the only one I've found but I haven't found a skin for it I like yet (I need something I can read on a TV screen from 10' away). Suggestions will be welcome.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Current desktop setup consists of an Oppo HA-1 DAC combo hooked up to my PC via Straightwire USB cable. My Oppo is also hooked up to my Rokit5 G3 via Canare cable with Neutrik 3pin XLR plugs in Balanced mode. For private listening, I rotate three pairs of cans from my collection......right now, I'm rotating a HE4XX, a HD600 and the hybrid ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000. All three cans have been fitted with budget friendly custom 4 pin XLR Balanced cables as my Oppo HA-1 has both SE and 4 pin Balanced XLR outputs. I have a couple of WD Element 5TB external HDD's that I connect to my PC, these house my collection of DSD, WAV and FLAC files.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

What if we don't need suggestions for improvement, but we want to share to make everyone a little jelly?

My desktop audio setup I have a Monoprice condenser mic on a arm through a Samson FX board with one of the audio outs going to a Rolls RCA mini mixer (https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-Stereo-Mini-Mixer/dp/B00102ZN40/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539581853&sr=8-2&keywords=Rolls+RCA+mixer) and the audio out going to my headphone amp which allows me to do the audio mirroring I want and can adjust the audio for each source I run through it easily.

My primary headphones are Beryerdynamic DT990 600 ohm (with a detachable 3.5mm mod because my dog ate the cable on it.... rip (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W2KB8ZV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) running off a FiiO E09K.

I use the FiiO E07K after the Rolls mixer to add some bass to the audio overall. (i'm sure there's plenty of other ways to do this but I already had the E07K because i was using it as a dac for a while but when I upgraded my motherboard to the Gigabyte 990FX they use a good enough dac that I didn't really need it for that anymore.)

I wasn't going to post pictures but I figured i'd get a bunch of questions on the DT990 mod.. Its literally some wire (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L3FIITU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) soldered to the original wire and taped (or something, i don't even remember what I did at this point to seal the connections) and then the housing had to be drilled out a bit so the jack would fit and then I just used gorilla super glue to hold it in place. I did the mod back in March and its held up since.

IMG_20181015_020523.jpg

IMG_20181015_020533.jpg

Man, that's some ghetto detachable wire mod on the DT990, well done!!!?

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

1 minute ago, GamerDude said:

Man, that's some ghetto detachable wire mod on the DT990, well done!!!?

Thanks! It was better than the alternative of throwing them away to buy another pair!

I was like.... do I spend $200 to get a new set.. or do I spend $20 and attempt to replace the cable...

8 hours ago, JohnT said:

What if we don't need suggestions for improvement, but we want to share to make everyone a little jelly?

Just don't ask for suggestions if you don't want any; nothing was said by the thread starter about making suggestions. I just added that to my post and it applies only to mine.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Audio Flow = [*.FLAC or *.MP3 or *.ACC or *.ALAC >> PC >> (Foobar) >> (home network) >> beater-PC >> ModiMB >> SYS (<< Satellit 750 multiband radio) >> Loki Mini >> Magni3 >> (MDR7510 + HD6XX) >> aural pickups w/ tinnitus ( = St. Lawrence Seaway SCUBA) >> CNS + ethanol + (home-roasted coffee)]

New piece of gear on its way from Schiit Audio... my first tube amp... Vali...

hi-fi-pathway-to-nirvana.jpg

wiring-top-half-2018October.png

listening-nook-without-cable-covers-2018Oct.jpg

under-table-wiring-2018October.png

Edited by Guest
images of my audio nirvana (listening nook)...

I am just using skullcandy earphones plugged into my iphone 6 plus and my lenovo laptop.. I have Grado SR60i, Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH m40X, and sennheiser HD 558, the closed back models are terrible comfort wise so i can't have them on for more than like 20 minutes before my ears get itchy, and hot and i have to take them off.. The open back models suck too because i have a loud family and when the loudness begins, i can barely hear my music and i am very sensitive to loud sounds to the point where it gets annoying at times. I really need to upgrade my audio game in terms of headphones and i need to get a new DAC since my current one crapped the bed.. 

Here is my point/question: Is there a good closed back headphone that blocks out a bunch of noise and sounds good for rock/metal music for about $250 or less? I will even go the in ear monitor route but they have to have detachable cables for the sake of longevity.. 

Anyone? 

On 10/15/2018 at 5:10 PM, zrmaxwell said:

I am just using skullcandy earphones plugged into my iphone 6 plus and my lenovo laptop.. I have Grado SR60i, Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH m40X, and sennheiser HD 558, the closed back models are terrible comfort wise so i can't have them on for more than like 20 minutes before my ears get itchy, and hot and i have to take them off.. The open back models suck too because i have a loud family and when the loudness begins, i can barely hear my music and i am very sensitive to loud sounds to the point where it gets annoying at times. I really need to upgrade my audio game in terms of headphones and i need to get a new DAC since my current one crapped the bed.. 

Here is my point/question: Is there a good closed back headphone that blocks out a bunch of noise and sounds good for rock/metal music for about $250 or less? I will even go the in ear monitor route but they have to have detachable cables for the sake of longevity.. 

Anyone? 

I've heard mostly good things about Audiotechnica's ath-m50x and m40x but I cannot confirm. Iem wise, massdrop has their edc and edc3 both under $100 and both have detachable cables. The edc are less expensive and the more "fun" sounding pair with better bass whereas the edc3 are more neutral and while they sound fantastic, they definitely lack bass. I've heard that beyerdynamic's dt770 doesn't block noise out very well even though it is closed back, however it does have a pretty good sound signature for most genres especially bass heavy ones. On another note, fostex claims that their t50rp series are isolating and the dekoni blues are both comfortable and sound great but they require an amp of some sort and since the headphones are already $200 by themselves, you'd probably have to break budget to get a great amp. Just food for thought :)

Currently rotating between Sennheiser HD58x, HD6xx, and Hifiman's HE4xx with a pair of HD598's and hyperx clouds kicking around somewhere. This is all being powered by a gigabyte ab350n (alc1220) connected to a Schiit Magni 3 pumping out spottify's highest quality streamed pcm. Looking into a dac but the topping d10 wouldn't arrive before I moved and the massdrop x Grace design uses a micro b instead of full sized b ?

14 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Currently rotating between Sennheiser HD58x, HD6xx, and Hifiman's HE4xx with a pair of HD598's and hyperx clouds kicking around somewhere. This is all being powered by a gigabyte ab350n (alc1220) connected to a Schiit Magni 3 pumping out spottify's highest quality streamed pcm. Looking into a dac but the topping d10 wouldn't arrive before I moved and the massdrop x Grace design uses a micro b instead of full sized b ?

+1 for HyperX cloud. (alpha is what I have because I preferred to have a detachable cable).

for music I just wish it had a bit more bass and I compensate for it using software EQ on my phone/laptop.

they block out much more background than I thought so I catch myself speaking louder to make up for it. Still working on a portable solution for mic monitoring with it. (other than "listen to this device" because it induces just enough lag to throw me off).

On 10/19/2018 at 12:30 PM, Bloodshed Romance said:

+1 for HyperX cloud. (alpha is what I have because I preferred to have a detachable cable).

for music I just wish it had a bit more bass and I compensate for it using software EQ on my phone/laptop.

they block out much more background than I thought so I catch myself speaking louder to make up for it. Still working on a portable solution for mic monitoring with it. (other than "listen to this device" because it induces just enough lag to throw me off).

"listen to this device" messes me up badly too. Ples fix microsoft. But anywho I got the original hyperx clouds from when they came out so I didn't have a choice from hyperx's excellent gaming lineup. XD

On 10/15/2018 at 3:59 AM, zrmaxwell said:

Do as the title says, please. Be nice when replying to someone. Give suggestions on how that person can improve their setup. What headphones should they get next? What amplifiers/DACs should they look into? Things like that. 

Im using a Topping VX1 as a speaker/headphone amp and dac. Its actually not that bad. I also use a fiio E10k as a portable Dac and headphone amp when travelling. Yes the e10k has a better dac, but i cant be bothered connecting it to my setup considering the fiio is always in my bag.

I have my topping hooked up to a pair of Technics SB-C250. Its pretty old, but it still works like a charm. I got it for 65 kangaroo dollars in a sunday market. 

I have a pair of brainwavz HM5 and audio technica m50x. I bought the m50x back when i was a audio pleb who didnt know jackshit..... Never knew that there were better value headphones which sounded better.

I also have a Audio technica LP120 hooked up to the VX1 using a behringer Phono preamp because i am analogfag who collects vinyl.

Disclaimer, vinyl doesnt sound better.

5 minutes ago, chin chin said:

Im using a Topping VX1 as a speaker/headphone amp and dac. Its actually not that bad. I also use a fiio E10k as a portable Dac and headphone amp when travelling. Yes the e10k has a better dac, but i cant be bothered connecting it to my setup considering the fiio is always in my bag.

I have my topping hooked up to a pair of Technics SB-C250. Its pretty old, but it still works like a charm. I got it for 65 kangaroo dollars in a sunday market. 

I have a pair of brainwavz HM5 and audio technica m50x. I bought the m50x back when i was a audio pleb who didnt know jackshit..... Never knew that there were better value headphones which sounded better.

I also have a Audio technica LP120 hooked up to the VX1 using a behringer Phono preamp because i am analogfag who collects vinyl.

Disclaimer, vinyl doesnt sound better.

Hey, whenever something works, it works & when you say "Vinyl doesn't sound better", are you referring to vinyl vs digital? If so, that is a whole different topic lol (i think we can discuss it here though)

1 minute ago, zrmaxwell said:

Hey, whenever something works, it works & when you say "Vinyl doesn't sound better", are you referring to vinyl vs digital? If so, that is a whole different topic lol (i think we can discuss it here though)

Since i do listen to both vinyl and digital, i have always viewed both as having likable qualities.

But since i collect vinyl, i have met way to many people who have said the "vinyl sounds better than digital".

Yeah it really isnt. well, i do love the sound that vinyl produces, considering i collect them, but it really is more subjective whether one thinks its better.

And plus, vinyls a bit of a bitch to upkeep tbh, but i still buy more for some reason. i guess same reason why people swear on tube amps.

I guess vinyl does provide something physical and analog to albums that i love.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:36 PM, kevinisbeast707 said:

"listen to this device" messes me up badly too. Ples fix microsoft. But anywho I got the original hyperx clouds from when they came out so I didn't have a choice from hyperx's excellent gaming lineup. XD

under the listen tab in the sound settings theres sliders for the INPUTS of the computer now, WITH NO LAG!

speaker properties1.PNG

Front-Audio.jpg
Back-Audio.jpg
My-Current-Audio-Setup.png

Everything is completely interconnected, all inputs / outputs can be shared between the main & capture PC seamlessly without delay. The Inputs on each RME interface (UCX / UC) represent their own input device in Windows (with submixing of any channel into any other) which allows for non-destructive (separate) recording at any desired level. All physical outputs on each RME card make their way to my Mackie ProFX12V2 mixer, and eventually my headphones and speakers, which allows me to mix everything in real-time to desired listening levels without affecting the actual recordings.

Took awhile to setup but once I got it working I've had no issues or qualms with anything, this combination of devices has given me far superior control compared to any other solution I've seen anywhere else with little to no degradation of audio quality.

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

PC to Odac.b to JDS Element to Headphones.

<On flip of a switch on the JDS Element>

PC to odac.b to JDS Element to NAD 356 BEE to KEF LS50

This setup was chosen to be able to change from headphones to speakers with just the press of a button, assuming everything on standby.

Why the dac and not just the element: System 24/7 on - DAC part on JDS starts to create noise when on for a long time.

Probably would go for today for the JDS OL stack - was not an option when i bought it.

Never tried if a schiit sys could be used in reverse (connecting input to output and vice versa to use it to switch between 2 outputs).