Need a pair of headphones. Budget 250$ but willing to go up to 375$

Hey, so I want to buy a new pair of headphones. But I have no idea what to pick. My budget is around 250$ but so am willing to spend up to 375$ if there's a good pair. I'll be using the headphones only at home and my PC will be providing the sound but I might get an amp in the future. I do know that I want a pair of closed back headphones which I'll be using for music, games and movies. I want minimal soundleakage and preferably a detachable wire. Comfort is also very important since I'll be using them a long time during the day. Doesn't matter if it's Bluetooth or not. What would you suggest?

A pair of DT 880's would work.If sound quality isn't really the focus a pair of BOSE ehadphones would also work 

My life

Welcome to the forum, @alfredthepig. So, open-back headphones are out. And you need a pair with detachable wires. And you need a set of cans that isolate the noise (passively right - no noise-cancelling electronics). It may be either wired or wireless. May I ask for some more information?

1. Do you want folding or non-folding ‘phones (I had to abandon folding headphones because of the bloody things wearing out and short-circuiting)?

2. Colour preference?

3. Any future plans of using a microphone (I’d shy away from all-in-one headphone/mic cans, as their build quality & output can be dissapointing)?

4. Do you want the ear-pads to (a) surround your ear or (b) sit on your ear?

5. What’s your hat size (I have a melon-head and some headphone models squeeze the hell out of my kopff)?

6. Is there a specific sound signature that you DON’T want? Unfortunately, this enters the world of qualitative headphone properties. I won’t pretend to describe all the characteristics!

6.5 My knee-jerk suggestion would be a Sony MDR7506 as they’re built like a tank; however, their cable isn’t detatchable so might not work for you.

6.6 Where (roughly) do you live? Which general continent (that’ll affect shipping costs & product availability)...

7. Next step = guru call! ....calling, @Max_Settings ... @Dackzy

Edited by Guest
Model suggestion... I have the MDR7510 & it excels at its task!

....christ on a cracker. I regret my excitable nature - freshly roasted coffee makes me bonkers on a Sunday morning....

6.7. Comment: if these are your first “nice” pair of phones, I’d stay with dynamic drivers (no electrostatic nor planar-dynamic heaphones... yet).

7.8. Comment: You might get some polarizing reactions to wired versus wireless headphones. Me? I still prefer wired phones with different-lengths of cable (as I understand it, the most recent version of BlueTooth is quite good [undetectable delay; “responsive”; reasonable battery-life]; however, it’s premium priced).

?

I guess if you don't mind audio quality then you could go Bluetooth or wireless maybe Bose QC35 or Sony WH-1000X MK3. But since you said PC I figure you don't want those.

For comfort, any headphones that support removable pads can be modified for pretty cheap with top notch aftermarket earpads. However Clamping force is also a factor. And I suppose Over-ear would be better for comfort and usually most good studio monitors are also over ear.

Have a look at the Audio Board's Recommended Gear here:

37 minutes ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

Welcome to the forum, @alfredthepig. So, open-back headphones are out. And you need a pair with detachable wires. And you need a set of cans that isolate the noise (passively right - no noise-cancelling electronics). It may be either wired or wireless. May I ask for some more information?

1. Do you want folding or non-folding ‘phones (I had to abandon folding headphones because of the bloody things wearing out and short-circuiting)?

2. Colour preference?

3. Any future plans of using a microphone (I’d shy away from all-in-one headphone/mic cans, as their build quality & output can be dissapointing)?

4. Do you want the ear-pads to (a) surround your ear or (b) sit on your ear?

5. What’s your hat size (I have a melon-head and some headphone models squeeze the hell out of my kopff)?

6. Is there a specific sound signature that you DON’T want? Unfortunately, this enters the world of qualitative headphone properties. I won’t pretend to describe all the characteristics!

6.5 My knee-jerk suggestion would be a Sony MDR7506 as they’re built like a tank; however, their cable isn’t detatchable so might not work for you.

6.6 Where (roughly) do you live? Which general continent (that’ll affect shipping costs & product availability)...

7. Next step = guru call! ....calling, @Max_Settings ... @Dackzy

1. Doesn't matter, both folding and non folding would be okay.
2. doesn't really matter either, just something not too colorful. Stylish is a plus.
3. No, do not need an in-built microphone, I have a separate one.
4. I want the ear-pads to surround my ear (over-ear)
5. I dont really know. I'd say I have a pretty normal sized head. I don't usually buy hats.
6. Don't know much about sound signatures unfortunately. I'm not really an audiophile kind of guy. Just know that I want a good pair of sounding headphones.
6.5. I'll do some research on them and see!
6.6. I live in Sweden and can usually find most stuff available to buy.
Thanks for responding! 

3 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

I guess if you don't mind audio quality then you could go Bluetooth or wireless maybe Bose QC35 or Sony WH-1000X MK3. But since you said PC I figure you don't want those.

For comfort, any headphones that support removable pads can be modified for pretty cheap with top notch aftermarket earpads. However Clamping force is also a factor. And I suppose Over-ear would be better for comfort and usually most good studio monitors are also over ear.

Have a look at the Audio Board's Recommended Gear here:

FYI this guide is very outdated.

2 hours ago, alfredthepig said:

1. Doesn't matter, both folding and non folding would be okay.
2. doesn't really matter either, just something not too colorful. Stylish is a plus.
3. No, do not need an in-built microphone, I have a separate one.
4. I want the ear-pads to surround my ear (over-ear)
5. I dont really know. I'd say I have a pretty normal sized head. I don't usually buy hats.
6. Don't know much about sound signatures unfortunately. I'm not really an audiophile kind of guy. Just know that I want a good pair of sounding headphones.
6.5. I'll do some research on them and see!
6.6. I live in Sweden and can usually find most stuff available to buy.
Thanks for responding! 

There are a lot less good closed headphones than open one, but there are still a few good options. I will give a list of a few of my picks at many different price ranges. I would recommend getting a cheap DAC/Amp something like the Schiit Fulla 2 or FX Audio DACX6 at least to start.

AKG K553/K550

Status Audio CB-1

Sony MDR-1A

B&O H6

Dekoni Blue (Amp required)

Fostex T60RP (Amp required)

Audeze Sine Closed Back (Amp required + 3D printed pad adapters and HM5 pads)

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

There are a lot less good closed headphones than open one, but there are still a few good options. I will give a list of a few of my picks at many different price ranges. I would recommend getting a cheap DAC/Amp something like the Schiit Fulla 2 or FX Audio DACX6 at least to start.

AKG K553/K550

Status Audio CB-1

Sony MDR-1A

B&O H6

Interesting. Yea, I've been thinking about getting an amp. I was actually checking the Sony MDR-1A's as a possible buy and found them for a very good price, but was uncertain 'cause I didn't know if they were good for home use since they advertise them as portable.

2 minutes ago, alfredthepig said:

Interesting. Yea, I've been thinking about getting an amp. I was actually checking the Sony MDR-1A's as a possible buy and found them for a very good price, but was uncertain 'cause I didn't know if they were good for home use since they advertise them as portable.

They work for home use. They are right on the edge of being an on ear depending on the size of your ear. But they are quite comfortable.

6 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

AKG K553/K550

Status Audio CB-1

Sony MDR-1A

B&O H6

I’d also agree with avoiding pricy headamps for now. And the adage is true (headphone priority) > (fancy external amps).

I have my eyestalks trained on the Massdrop Dekoni Blue that I can drive with either my Magni headamp, or my (hopefully arriving by next week) very first tube amp (the Vali 2). I just can’t walk away from planar magnetic headphones. And they’re smurf blue.

Smurf it.

Smurf it real good.

?

4 minutes ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

I’d also agree with avoiding pricy headamps for now. And the adage is true (headphone priority) > (fancy external amps).

I have my eyestalks trained on the Massdrop Dekoni Blue that I can drive with either my Magni headamp, or my (hopefully arriving by next week) very first tube amp (the Vali 2). I just can’t walk away from planar magnetic headphones. And they’re smurf blue.

Smurf it.

Smurf it real good.

?

Well those aren't a Massdrop headphone. The Dekoni Blue is just the cheapest on Massdrop, but not a Massdrop headphone. Massdrop has the T-X0 that I reviewed that is truly awful.

FYI this guide is very outdated.

@alfredthepig ... the prices & models are off; however, @SSL was bang on on her/his priority setting.

That thread saved me a lot of money and (somewhat) reduced my audio nervosa. ?

1 minute ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

@alfredthepig ... the prices & models are off; however, @SSL was bang on on her/his priority setting.

That thread saved me a lot of money and (somewhat) reduced my audio nervosa. ?

But is not relevant anymore. Most of the headphones are no longer in those price ranges, and some aren't made anymore. 

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Well those aren't a Massdrop headphone. The Dekoni Blue is just the cheapest on Massdrop, but not a Massdrop headphone. Massdrop has the T-X0 that I reviewed that is truly awful.

....and I’ve been seeing the Massdrop community have a sh&t-fit about the Massdrop-HiFiMAN uneven HE3xx construction and quality. I might have to cool my jets about planar magnetics until I have enough beer-money to spend on a brand-name set ($500+ range).

Just now, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

....and I’ve been seeing the Massdrop community have a sh&t-fit about the Massdrop-HiFiMAN uneven HE3xx construction and quality. I might have to cool my jets about planar magnetics until I have enough beer-money to spend on a brand-name set ($500+ range).

Well there are good planars, they just are very different from dynamics and have their own issues. Some would say you pay quite the premium. The HE-300 is not a planar. The HE-4XX is, it's a good headphone, but not worth it's price when the HD58X exists.

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

But is not relevant anymore. Most of the headphones are no longer in those price ranges, and some aren't made anymore. 

Maybe we should get it updated??

1 minute ago, Tarun10 said:

Maybe we should get it updated??

Well you see the problem is the guy who wrote it is no longer active. I would have no issue with re-writing it, but I can't have my thread take the place of his I don't think.

Well you see the problem is the guy who wrote it is no longer active. I would have no issue with re-writing it, but I can't have my thread take the place of his I don't think.

Can't a moderator edit it based on a post of yours???

1 hour ago, Tarun10 said:

Can't a moderator edit it based on a post of yours???

Yes, but not without the qurhor’s approval I don’t believe.

The dekoni blue or the t60rp are probably the best way to go out of these especially since you could buy them for about $200 and then pick up something like a magni 3 or topping a30 or really any decently regarded amp for under $100. The dekoni blue for sure have quite a bit of thump i've been told.

3 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

The dekoni blue or the t60rp are probably the best way to go out of these especially since you could buy them for about $200 and then pick up something like a magni 3 or topping a30 or really any decently regarded amp for under $100. The dekoni blue for sure have quite a bit of thump i've been told.

The A30 is straight up garbage, it has a output impedance of 10 ohm for the 3.5mm and 30 ohm for the 1/4", so the  3.5 is only ok for 80 ohm headphones and up and the 1/4" is ok for 240 ohm and up. This is to insure that there aren't any dampening problems. To add to that if you want to go planar then get the lowest possible output impedance. Plus it is a very colored sounding amp.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

46 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

The A30 is straight up garbage, it has a output impedance of 10 ohm for the 3.5mm and 30 ohm for the 1/4", so the  3.5 is only ok for 80 ohm headphones and up and the 1/4" is ok for 240 ohm and up. This is to insure that there aren't any dampening problems. To add to that if you want to go planar then get the lowest possible output impedance. Plus it is a very colored sounding amp.

Yeah I totally forgot about that. On one side the closer the impedance of the amp is to the impedance of the headphone then in theory the less power loss. But yes higher than 8x difference is preferred. It was just a suggestion. My a30 does pretty well with my he4xx but I suspect that is more due to the pretty even phase and impedance response and the already bright nature of the he4xx. The magni 3 would undoubtedly be the better pick but some people swear by topping and everybody has their preferences. Tubes typically have higher impedances and people still like their signature so really it should be more about the "synergy" and user preference. Thank you for pointing that out though. I remember Amir mentioning that in his magni 3 review.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:13 AM, Max_Settings said:

Yes, but not without the qurhor’s approval I don’t believe.

SSL is still active on SBAF though, so maybe something could be done.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."