1440p w/ G-Sync vs 4k @ 60fps?

Inception9269

1440p w/ G-Sync vs 4k @ 60fps?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. 1440p g-sync or 4k

• 1440p with high refresh and g-sync
    • 4k @ 60fp

At some point in the future I was wanting to upgrade my monitor, but I'm not sure what to. Right now I have a 1440p @ 60fps monitor that I really like, but I do plan on upgrading to a 2080 or 2080ti in the future, the 20 series gpus from all I've seen handle 1440p and 4k much better than 10 series gpus. Honestly I like the idea of 1440p with high refresh and g-sync, the problem is that shits expensive, I'm hoping around black friday / cyber monday time I could save a fair amount on one.

4k on the other hand is higher quality, although I would be limited to 60fps. Another thing with the 4k monitor is I could get a 27" (my preferred size) for cheaper than a 1440p w/g-sync.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Difference between 4k and 1440p isn't super noticeable. Higher refresh rate will be alot better.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Tough one. I've tried 27/28" 4k60 freesync vs 24" 1440p 144Hz g-sync, and I'd take the latter for most games. I think 4k might start to be more interesting if higher refresh G-sync became more affordable. BTW the two monitors above I paid the same for.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Difference between 4k and 1440p isn't super noticeable. Higher refresh rate will be alot better.

5 minutes ago, porina said:

Tough one. I've tried 27/28" 4k60 freesync vs 24" 1440p 144Hz g-sync, and I'd take the latter for most games. I think 4k might start to be more interesting if higher refresh G-sync became more affordable. BTW the two monitors above I paid the same for.

Another issue I have with 4k is the way the screen scales. For games it'd be nicer, but even with 1440p I have issues with some games where the UI doesn't scale. sometimes I can fix that by editing some line in a file, or even downloading mods, but for games where this isn't possible its really annoying, I'd imagine that would be worse with 4k. also just browsing the internet even on 1440p can be kind of annoying, fortunately with firefox I can have different zoom levels on different sites, but I still have to zoom in 110% to 133% on most sites I go to just so things are readable.

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

11 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

Another issue I have with 4k is the way the screen scales. For games it'd be nicer, but even with 1440p I have issues with some games where the UI doesn't scale. sometimes I can fix that by editing some line in a file, or even downloading mods, but for games where this isn't possible its really annoying, I'd imagine that would be worse with 4k. also just browsing the internet even on 1440p can be kind of annoying, fortunately with firefox I can have different zoom levels on different sites, but I still have to zoom in 110% to 133% on most sites I go to just so things are readable.

the ideal size for 1440p is 27''

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

14 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

the ideal size for 1440p is 27''

that's what I have right now.

So I'd either go to a 27" 1440p monitor with high refresh and gsync, or a 27" 4k monitor with 60fps