So what's up with RTX 2080?

Hey guys!

As far as I can see everyone is quite pissed with the performances of 2080 when it comes to gaming ( and yes, I understand ). However, I am not sure about some things:

I heard people saying that comparing the latest driver updates of a GPU (1080ti in our case)  with the next gen early drivers (2080) is quite unfair, as the performances can go up quite a lot from release to release.

Secondly, won't the ray-tracing ability of the card make the price difference understandable? I mean, I know that at this moment we don't have a lot of titles offering that and it seems like just a waste of 100 something £, but what about next months/year?

Finally, do you think that 2080 will make sense for 3D Artists that want to use Redshift/Vray and soon Arnold? I read Vlado's blog from Vray that looks quite positive about RTX.

What do you guys think? Is it just over-hype and false marketing or what is it?

The problem is not performance, but price. 1080 Ti performance for the price of.... a 1080 Ti.

That's not how it's supposed to work. They are overvaluing RTX. A thing that is not a thing yet.

Looks like 2080 will be a 1440p card.

If RTX turns up to be good and usable at that resolution it will make sense.

The point is, we still don't know much on RTX and DLSS.

6 minutes ago, Densetsu said:

The problem is not performance, but price. 1080 Ti performance for the price of.... a 1080 Ti.

That's not how it's supposed to work. They are overvaluing RTX. A thing that is not a thing yet.

It's slightly more performance for slightly more price.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ill just post this here, sums it up fairly well:

Capture.PNG

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 minutes ago, Col. Sandurz said:

Looks like 2080 will be a 1440p card.

If RTX turns up to be good and usable at that resolution it will make sense.

The point is, we still don't know much on RTX and DLSS.

RTX on BF5 has been quoted by a developer to be aimed at 1080p 60fps at ultra settings.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

12 minutes ago, Densetsu said:

You're gonna buy a 2080Ti anyway... I know it.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

You're gonna buy a 2080Ti anyway... I know it.

Two of em.

But only when hybirds come out.

Just now, Densetsu said:

Two of em.

But only when hybirds come out.

I should've waited, this is gonna be your 1080ti blow out deal.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Serban Ungureanu said:

Secondly, won't the ray-tracing ability of the card make the price difference understandable?

No. RTX will be the next PhysX. It really doesn't look that much better. Ignore those demos, those were just RTX vs nothing, instead of RTX vs standard rendering sharers.

7 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

RTX on BF5 has been quoted by a developer to be aimed at 1080p 60fps at ultra settings.

I think most likely the unknown RTX quantity makes will make the 2080 a decent buy (we'll see street prices).

Right now it's all about wanting to take the gamble or not.

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

ill just post this here, sums it up fairly well:

Not bad considering it has a 640 CUDA core deficit.

Should be good when drivers mature.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III