Good quality 400w psu enough for GTX 1070?

Hello guys,

I've got a SFX psu by BeQuiet! which is rated at 400w with 80+ Bronze efficiency. Its got all the usual safety features which are usually found in good quality powersupplies, safety against over-currents, over- and under-voltages, short circuits, and overloads. 

I know that Nvidia recommends at least a 500w unit but most psu calculators on the internet say that my system will be drawing about 330w under load. I understand that this isn't an ideal situation and that most powersupplies like to run at about 50% load since they are most efficient there, but I don't intend to run it this way forever.

So as long as the maximum system power draw won't exceed the max rated wattage of the psu I should be good, right? I only want to know if it will outright fail if I turn it on the first time, I don't intend to run it this way for long. Couple of days or as long as its going to take for my new 650w psu to arrive.

Related question: I understand that it isn't a great idea to max out a powersupply, but generally it should mean its still technically safe, right? I mean if its rated at 400 watts by the manufacturer (and is of relatively good quality) it should be able to deliver 400 watts under any circumstances?

System specs (or at least whats important in terms of tdp):

i7 4770k, stock voltages, mild oc by multiplier only

z97 mini itx mainboard

2 x 8gb ddr3

gtx 1070

120mm aio cooler

2 x 120mm pwm fans

1 x 2,5" ssd

I mean, I wouldn't do it, but if it's only for a few days...sure.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I mean, I wouldn't do it,

Could you specify why exactly you wouldn't? Do you think this would overload the psu?

Just now, black0utm1rage said:

Could you specify why exactly you wouldn't? Do you think this would overload the psu?

Yeah, I think it could overload the PSU, especially when gaming.

I wouldn't game for a few days, or just not use your PC at all until your new PSU arrives.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, black0utm1rage said:

Hello guys,

I've got a SFX psu by BeQuiet! which is rated at 400w with 80+ Bronze efficiency. 

Sorry, but that's not really a good PSU.

be quiet does good stuff in ATX but other form factors (TFX, SFX) not so much. Partly because its a Niche...

The Wattage isn't an issue, 400W is more than sufficient for that system, without OC of course. But The SFX Power is not really that good.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

There are many reasons to get more psu W. 

Main one is related to cooling. If psu load is less than 50% many of modern ones wont use fan. Also with age psu ability to hold W decreases slightly.

I always recomend people not to save on 2 components: memory and psu. 

So 400W is enough but for safer and more silent preformance and longer lasting psu 500-550W is better choise.

37 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

There are many reasons to get more psu W. 

Naa, not really...

Main one is related to cooling. If psu load is less than 50% many of modern ones wont use fan. Also with age psu ability to hold W decreases slightly.

No

because within the same plattform, PSU often use the same heatsink.

And higher wattage units often come with higher speed fans.

So assuming that a higher wattage PSU will be quieter is just wrong. 

You have to look at the unit you want to buy and decide with the data you got. 

NEVER EVER assume anything!

Because I know a series where the ~550W PSU is OK, the ~650W thingy rather loud, the ~750W again at the level of the 550W. For whatever reason.

I always recomend people not to save on 2 components: memory and psu. 

True but for the PSU you want Quality, not quantity.

Going from an EVGA B500 to a Bitfenix Formula 450W is an increase in quality, not quantity.

So 400W is enough but for safer and more silent preformance and longer lasting psu 500-550W is better choise.

That is a wrong assumption. 

In some cases the 400W is the quietest of the series under any circumstance.

In some cases the 400W is the same as the 500W.

In some cases the 400W is the same as the 600W 

But with ~the same Heatsinks and ~the same efficiency, how can one be quieter than the other?? That is only possible if you allow one to get hotter than the other...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, black0utm1rage said:

Couple of days or as long as its going to take for my new 650w psu to arrive.

Just wait a few days.
Have you already ordered the 650W PSU? What model is it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, black0utm1rage said:

Couple of days or as long as its going to take for my new 650w psu to arrive.

Did you at least order a decent 650W PSU?

On 15.9.2018 at 5:27 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Did you at least order a decent 650W PSU?

Ordered a Silverstone SX650-G, the review of which I actually looked up on your website prior to ordering! Hopefully this little bad boy will last me some time because it certainly wasn't cheap.

On 15.9.2018 at 5:11 PM, Spotty said:

Just wait a few days.
Have you already ordered the 650W PSU? What model is it?

I'm running the system currently in a very Frankenstein manner with the enclosure open and my old Corsair TX650 sitting right beside it on the desk, powering the whole thing. I ordered a Silverstone SX650-G, which should nicely fit into my Silverstone SG05. Should arrive late today or early tomorrow.

On 15.9.2018 at 4:10 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Sorry, but that's not really a good PSU.

be quiet does good stuff in ATX but other form factors (TFX, SFX) not so much. Partly because its a Niche...

Realized that too after looking up some in-depth specs. Decent, but hardly a high-end product. Has served me well though, never had any complaints.

You can run it that way, but I wouldn't game on it. If you kill your PSU you risk taking other components down with it. Run the 400w, but take it easy until the new PSU comes in.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD